Author Topic: The end of the Zune  (Read 3507 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
The end of the Zune
« on: 16 March 2011, 13:58 »
Quote from: Bloomberg
Microsoft will concentrate on putting Zune software onto mobile phones, such as those running its Windows operating system, said the person, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been announced. Zune software lets customers buy songs and movies, as well as pay a monthly fee to stream unlimited music.
Quote from: Bloomberg
In 2009, Microsoft split the Zune team into software and hardware groups, letting the software people focus more on other platforms, such as phones, the Xbox video-game console and personal computers. The company touted the Zune software as a key feature in its redesigned Windows mobile-phone operating system when it went on sale in October.
Read more...

So basically, the Zune was a complete failure. What will probably happen next is a rebranding of MSN Music and the music player on Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7 to Zune, then a few years later Microsoft realises this is stupid because no one knows what Zune even is.

Family Guy Zune Joke
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 03:27 by Refalm »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: The end of the Zune
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2011, 23:27 »
I'm glad that Zune existed because they released a different theme which I used for Windows XP at work rather than the shitty play school scheme.

No what happens to the music people have bought from Zune and the DRM?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2011, 01:49 »
I'm guessing they'll get to keep their music. I've always wondered why the Zune failed. There didn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with them, but they never gained any success. I'm betting it was the software that really held them back, rather than the hardware. Sounds like a lot of previous Microsoft products actually...
sig.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2011, 05:39 »
Zune sucks, iPod sucks...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2011, 18:10 »
The zune failed because Microsoft is no good at marketing and dealing with actual competition. It's not their style. Just look at all of their misguided attempts to be hip. Windows 7 parties? Maroon 5 playing for the weak launch of the Windows Phone 7? Bill Gates shaking his ass in a commercial. They never could appeal to anyone but the ms geek crowd, whereas Apple made their products "cool" and a must have. Doesn't even matter if zune was technically superior (was it?), they had no chance.

I am not surprised.

3P1Kgecko

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2011, 18:07 »
I bought a 2ng gen zune. I actually liked it. Its basically an ipod with a larger screen.
It had a number of problems though Including battery life. The little gadget has a habit of charging up to 50% tops now, allowing me a mere few or more hours of use.

I think I may have been the only one in my city with a Zune. I liked being that odd guy out from the legions of ipod clones.

But ya Zune and Ipod sucks. I think the only good Ipods were the 2nd gen shuffle and the 3rd gen nano. Both being at reasonable prices based on their storage capacity at the time. Otherwise we have plummeted into touchscreen hell.

Marketers notice there are several things trending right now. 3D, HD, and touchscreen. All of which being relatively old by now. The last zune I saw announced was the Zune HD (go figure) and I don't think that ever released in Canada, at least not Eastern Canada. Its just an ipod touch with a slightly larger screen.

Microsofts marketing doesnt take us (the people) seriously. They Assume we are lemmings. All and if not eager to stay on their consumer treadmill. Vista and 7 have had the worst sales when compared to their glorious XP. Enough people are inclined to stay with XP.

But the problem is. We are all too eager to prove their marketers right.
How many people do you know who have bought more than one Xbox 360? I know several.

And if anyone changes OS, their isn't enough available knowledge on Linux. (there is but most people don't like doing research)
and Macintoshes are just too expensive.

The zune doesn't sell in my area; period now. A Bestbuy employee said something about a rumor of apple threatening to stop retailing Ipods through their franchise if they continue to retail zunes LOL.

Sorry guys; I didnt want this to be a rant. Just trying to describe the situation where I am.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2011, 18:10 by 3P1Kgecko »