Author Topic: XP Spyware  (Read 1361 times)

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
XP Spyware
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2004, 07:16 »
http://www.windowsbbs.com

[ October 23, 2004: Message edited by: Canadian Lover ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
XP Spyware
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2004, 08:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by dull60:
i wuz askin if there is anyway to kill a microsoft program that tells Microsoft my personal shit...

I answered you.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
XP Spyware
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2004, 13:28 »
First off: dull60, I didn't mean to suggest that you used Messy, that was merely a "cover-my-ass" provision.
Second off: CanadianLover, you have lost your ability to speak in this thread.  You have been eaten by a grue.
Third off: WMD, my thanks for actually being civilised enough to answer dull's question.

Finally, somebody bin this damnable thread before it breaks out into a flame war.  Nip it in the bud while it's still a wee semi-flame.    ;)

[ October 24, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate/BOB ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
XP Spyware
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2005, 06:33 »
You can't kill of the MS spyware program as it's part of the operating system. svchost.exe continueiously reports all your activity to MS the firewall on the standalone PC at work keeps bitching about this.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

XP Spyware
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2005, 13:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:
You can't kill of the MS spyware program as it's part of the operating system. svchost.exe continueiously reports all your activity to MS the firewall on the standalone PC at work keeps bitching about this.

Jesus Christ.  Okay, you *HAVE* to prove this one.  I'm sick of you making up shit.  Here's a thought: kill svchost.exe and see what happens.  Tell us here, after you reboot for killing the System Services Daemon.  Besides, QoS isn't *that* hard to kill.

System Vitals

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
XP Spyware
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2005, 13:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:

What's the point of running Quality of Service anyway, both in theory and in reality?

Are you serious?  :eek:
Quality of Service is a requirement for large networks.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
XP Spyware
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2005, 14:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:

Jesus Christ.  Okay, you *HAVE* to prove this one.

The firewall that we have reports that an unrecognised module svchost.exe is trying to access the internet and xxx.xxx.xxx ip address, I typed the IP address into MS internet explorer (dumbass IT dept won
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
XP Spyware
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2005, 19:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Aloone:

Also Windows doesn't let you kill it, it says, "access is denied" - all I know is it's part of the operating system and is also accessing an IP address without my permission!

Not entirely true. If you got local admin rights (not on Windows XP Home) you can disable it.
The PC will then reboot in 60 seconds.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
XP Spyware
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2005, 00:57 »
Oh sorry, the computer at works runs Windows 2000 not XP. Anyway it's set up with one administrator account.

Once scvhost.exe did crash and Windows carried on running, you just couldn't use the clipboard and some features in other programs were unavailable.

Orethrius

XP Spyware
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2005, 01:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm / BOB:

Not entirely true. If you got local admin rights (not on Windows XP Home) you can disable it.
The PC will then reboot in 60 seconds.

Sounds to me like Aloone is trapped on a craprate (oops, I mean corporate) system running Home.  That, or he's been infected by Klez.  Aloone, my apologies, but when you start accusing the right arm of Windows of wrongdoing when the only proof you have is what sounds like the dialing-out of the fake svchost.exe created by Klez, I just see a giant donkey forming before my eyes (if you catch my drift).  You might check out some of the free removal utilities floating around out there, I'd have to Google those (hint hint) to find them again though.  Oh, and Refalm, I meant "what's the point of QoS" on a small home network, not a large corporate intranet.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
XP Spyware
« Reply #25 on: 20 January 2005, 02:13 »
I've asked the IT department and they say "it has had problems with viruses"

So it's not the real svchost.exe or its some other shit fucking with it and screwing it into accessing this IP address to spy on us.

Orethrius

XP Spyware
« Reply #26 on: 20 January 2005, 15:40 »
Like I said, it's Klez - one of the variants, at any rate.  I can track down the tools if you'd like to rid yourself of it, but the safest bet is to get IT to switch to Linux...  ;)

Oh, and Klez variants are typically content delivery not content reception, another in this field being Cydoor - it's basically an overblown advertising engine (though it's been bastardized so many times it's hard to tell exactly WHAT is out there).  Sorry, that's just one of my sticking points as a SysOp.   :cool:

System Vitals

dull60

• Kudos: 0
    • http://rrs.yi.org/yabbse/index.php?y=antibush
XP Spyware
« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2005, 07:45 »
Ok... well... umm...
First off Grues are cool. Next thing, why is it that a thread I started 6 months ago is still going? Anyway thanks for all the help.
And not to start a huge Windows vs Linux thing but seriously linux isnt exactly the easiest thing to use and its compatability is fleeting. (I still love it though) But corporations cant really just "switch to linux" youd run into huge problems with not only compatability but also with the people using the computers needing to learn a new (more complicated) OS. Well anyway Ive shut down QoS and the mystery bandwidth has gone down to but a few traces.

And thanks again for the help.
And thats the bottom line because i said so.