Author Topic: Firefox 6  (Read 1927 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Firefox 6
« on: 20 August 2011, 05:13 »
Came out Tuesday. Mostly patches and bug fixes. I'm not fond of rapid version changes, but at least they are working to keep up with web practice changes.

On a side note Google has apparently bailed out Mozilla Corp on the HTML5 video codec mess. By refusing to go along with every one else on H.264, Google has basically ruined HTML5 direct play video for everyone.  :D

H.264 is still patented and licensed, so it may be "open source" but it ain't free.

I don't think Theora is going anywhere, but maybe with Google behind WebM, WebM will have a future. Flash still sux, even if there is a Linux version.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Firefox 6
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2011, 15:50 »
The development cycle of Firefox is crazy. 6 came out,  and already the beta of 7 is released. It's basically all version 4, and the upping of numbers is completely artificial. I still haven"t found a good motivation for it.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2011, 23:10 »
Firefox as a web browser is damn reliable (for me anyways), and now they're being turds. It's plausible that they are buffing up their version numbers to catch up with other browsers.

Fuck this release cycle.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2011, 21:20 »
They are doing what Chrome does - super-fast releases that contain up-to-date web technologies, so that the web can move on faster.

It's also definitely a marketing thing too - but then so was the entire Firefox concept.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2011, 02:10 »
But how is it any different then calling it say 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc...Which would be much more accurate imo. Seems purely marketing to me.
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2011, 13:21 »
It makes a world of difference to companies. A new version number means testing all intranet pages against it, while a decimal is seen as an incremental update.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2011, 11:02 »
It's retarded. They've being doing it since version 4. I use Firefox at work and have not noticed any difference between 4 and 6, they're basically the same, as far as the user is concerned. It's true it may be more secure and have better support for the latest standards but that's not what the end user notices.

At home I keep using Opera because I still think it's the best browser by far as it does all I need without a load of buggy extensions which often break from one release to the next.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2011, 15:49 »
They should possibly consider doing LTS releases like Ubuntu - I think this systems works wonders for them.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.