Miscellaneous > Applications

Firefox 6

(1/2) > >>

davidnix71:
Came out Tuesday. Mostly patches and bug fixes. I'm not fond of rapid version changes, but at least they are working to keep up with web practice changes.

On a side note Google has apparently bailed out Mozilla Corp on the HTML5 video codec mess. By refusing to go along with every one else on H.264, Google has basically ruined HTML5 direct play video for everyone.  :D

H.264 is still patented and licensed, so it may be "open source" but it ain't free.

I don't think Theora is going anywhere, but maybe with Google behind WebM, WebM will have a future. Flash still sux, even if there is a Linux version.

Refalm:
The development cycle of Firefox is crazy. 6 came out,  and already the beta of 7 is released. It's basically all version 4, and the upping of numbers is completely artificial. I still haven"t found a good motivation for it.

reactosguy:
Firefox as a web browser is damn reliable (for me anyways), and now they're being turds. It's plausible that they are buffing up their version numbers to catch up with other browsers.

Fuck this release cycle.

piratePenguin:
They are doing what Chrome does - super-fast releases that contain up-to-date web technologies, so that the web can move on faster.

It's also definitely a marketing thing too - but then so was the entire Firefox concept.

Lead Head:
But how is it any different then calling it say 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc...Which would be much more accurate imo. Seems purely marketing to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version