Author Topic: Microsoft tries to downplay Gmail to promote Hotmail  (Read 4319 times)

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
Microsoft tries to downplay Gmail to promote Hotmail
« on: 10 February 2012, 04:34 »
I found this at the TM Repository. The user in the link described this situation.

But anyways, this is where it's happening.

From the first link: Sometimes I wonder, is there anything Microsoft won’t do to take on Google’s online services? Here is a tip for Microsoft: Mud slinging never works, especially if the guy you are slinging mud at is considered the “good guy” (Facebook is the “bad guy” in the public’s mind when it comes to privacy). Mud slinging may make the other guy look bad (though I doubt it in Google’s case), but won’t necessarily make you look good. And do the folks over at Microsoft really think the public won’t see through this and realize it is a cheap attempt to promote their own online services? The public MAY pay attention if such an ad came from a non-profit, but certainly won’t when it comes from a competitor that has a (non)privacy policy of it’s own for it’s own online services.

What is your opinion on this?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Microsoft tries to downplay Gmail to promote Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2012, 09:49 »
The same idiot sysops that still used Internet Explorer for everything now don't know that Microsoft has cloud services, so they think of Microsoft as old.

Microsoft just copied Amazon with their Azure platform, and copied Google with Office 365. I actually trialed both, and they aren't as good as they think they are. They basically don't offer solutions, but spew out random products, without offering interoperability.

Just look at Hotmail. Before Gmail arrived, you had 2 MB space, and you had to pay for IMAP. It was only when people started to go elsewhere when they changed that.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
Re: Microsoft tries to downplay Gmail to promote Hotmail
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2012, 01:11 »
Just look at Hotmail. Before Gmail arrived, you had 2 MB space, and you had to pay for IMAP. It was only when people started to go elsewhere when they changed that.

Yeah, Gmail set the standard for free webmail. When Hotmail has like 250MB of storage, now comes this cleaner-looking Gmail with 1GB of storage, greater speed and security, and comes from Google, a name we are more familiar with.

That's when Hotmail upgraded its guns.

Hotmail is still trash though.