Author Topic: Mac's looks pretty...  (Read 2380 times)

NESnerd

• Kudos: 0
Mac's looks pretty...
« on: 7 February 2002, 06:02 »
I've never been on a Mac before. I checked out Apple.com just forr the hell of it, and the new iMac looks so freakin awesome, and sounds awesome too. The Power Mac G4 sounds awesome as hell too. Like I said, I've never been on a Mac, but they sure look and sound great. I was just wondering, how do they run? I'd imagine the G4's GeForce4 make it's gaming incredible. Anyway, just wondered if anyone who used them could tell me a bit about them...
my name is matt

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2002, 07:36 »
You might want to make your questions a little more specific.  What do you mainly use your computer for?

I can tell you that as elegant and slick as the hardware looks, OS X is the software that perfectly complements it.  If you're anywhere near Chicago, I can't recommend enough that you visit the Apple store at Woodfield (in Schaumburg) and try one yourself.  They get plenty of PC people in there, and the sales staff can answer all the questions you'd have as a newcomer.

Mainly, though, what I've found that there's some weird drug being pumped through the air in those stores that makes PC people walk out totally converted.  I don't know how they do it, but I suspect it's the blindingly bright light in the Apple stores (which makes everything sparkle), the beautiful presentation of everything, and the fact that they let you do damn near anything on their computers -- download and install software, burn CDs and DVDs, use the Internet extensively, edit and print out photos, whatever.  Through that kind of hands-on use, you'll see the charm of Macs (particularly running Mac OS X) in no time.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #2 on: 7 February 2002, 16:49 »
In Melbourne there are not one but two Apple stores, and the one in Edinburgh has been here since Apple started up, although it moved to a hi profile big glass windows high street locale just 2 or 3 years ago. I have never been in one of these shops, but you can always see me spending 5 or 10 minutes peering into the windows (no pun intended) whilst trying to walk past!
I only haven't been in yet because i can't afford a Mac, and don't really want to waste their time. There's a department store here too, called John Lewis which has an unusually high number of Macs in their audiovisual departments, and they are incredibly enticing too.
I don't think it's a drug, and i am skeptical that it might be just their sparkliness, but it's definitely something... something otherworldly!... something... ELSE!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

NESnerd

Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #3 on: 7 February 2002, 17:22 »
>>What do you mainly use your computer for?

Well, lately nothing, I've been lazy.   ) Although I'm trying to get more into web developing/designing. I'm not really a gamer, but I enjoy playing some stuff once in a while. Mostly games and some design stuff is the most I'll do though.
my name is matt

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #4 on: 7 February 2002, 21:09 »
NESnerd, simple answer. Get a MAC,

If you wanna do web design, desktop publishing, and graphics you would be crazy to not get a MAC. PC's may look great in price but they lack severly in the quality.

MAC graphics are beter when it comes to color synching. The support for graphic software is unmatched on any other hardware, the OS is a dream when it comes to working in the applications you are interested in.

Furthermore, most of the graphics industry use macs. Printshops use macs for color seperation and other techy processes. And most magazine layouts are done on MAC's as well.

Im going to art school now  and have seen many woindows losers turn around to using macs in the graphic design department.

Lastly. Don't listen to the crap people spew about Mac gaming. There is plenty to go around on the Mac side. Sure there are games that don't come out or that take a while to come out for the mac, but usually they are good ones.

I remember when a friend of mine got a PC to run the latest Maya on it. (runing a UNIX variant dual booted with a stollen Windoze OS), the first thing we said to each other was: "hey lets go get some cool PC games that we never got to play!" So we went to best buy and started browsing the shelves.

Row after row after row of crap that didn't look like it was worth the money. Ton's of DOOM/Quake clones that bring nothing new to the FPS, ton's of boring looking RPG's that bring nothing new to the genra. And lots of crap that you never even hear about.

The only thing we found that we wanted was a copy of Fallout 2 which never (damit!) came out for the mac. Everything else either came out, was coming out, or was crap.

So that's my experiance. Take it or leave it.

But as far as graphics, like I said, you would be crazy not to get a Mac. Heck, ask the Webmaster!

WEBMASTER!! Back me up on this  

-later
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #5 on: 8 February 2002, 05:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
But as far as graphics, like I said, you would be crazy not to get a Mac. Heck, ask the Webmaster!

WEBMASTER!! Back me up on this    

Oh, absolutely.  Couldn't have said it better myself.    

ravuya

• VIP
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2002, 04:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
NESnerd, simple answer. Get a MAC,

If you wanna do web design, desktop publishing, and graphics you would be crazy to not get a MAC. PC's may look great in price but they lack severly in the quality.

I agree completely but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop capitalizing Mac! It makes you look like some kind of Wintel user.

One of the main benefits in the field of graphics is that the Mac has much, much better SCSI support, and SCSI just flies on the right hardware. Most graphics studios use it. Color syncing is unbelievably easy, and the monitor support is on par if not better than anything available for the PC, commercial or not.

The only thing that I really have against Macs nowadays (I own 4, so don't jump on me) is their high price point. If the G4 tower was, say, at a comparable price to an x86 tower clone, or if Apple let us build our own machines (though that would include a ton of problems), I know a bunch of people who would jump on it.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Mac's looks pretty...
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2002, 07:23 »
Hehehe... woulden't wanna sound like one of those horrid creaturs would I  

"Mac" it is then!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR