Author Topic: Do we really have to?  (Read 1923 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Do we really have to?
« on: 6 May 2012, 03:24 »
Do we really have to all use internet "apps" for everything? I mean... Nobody asked me if that's what I want to do, it's just assumed that I want this. More and more crap is made on simpleton websites and talked about as though it's actual software.

LOL

Please, bitches.

Real software requires a mouse, a keyboard, and a fucking brain to use. At least I can rest safe knowing that if my old Macs ever stop running. I can cram Ubuntu or Mint onto a generic-ass white box I cobbled together from parts they sell at the local Goodwill and keep computing like it's 1999.

They sell 1GHz eMac G4s with a gig of RAM and upgraded to a 100GB hard disk for $65. Quicksilver G4 towers with similar specs for $90. They had an Intel (ugh) Mac mini for $225.

Generic PC parts (tested and known good) can be had for even less.

When Tim Cook hands me an iPad that can open Word 5 files, has a keyboard with Cherry keyswitches, and has a 17" or larger screen I might give a fuck. Well, I will if it costs less than sixty five fucking dollars.

I don't even keep an up-to-date web browser. Not like I have a fucking choice anymore, since giving the finger to earlier releases of OS X is totally en vogue these days.

Assholes say, "OMG 10.4 is to oooolllllld for mah web browsah u shud get sum new kit n00b"

I say, "You are cordially invited to go to Hell."

Which is precisely where all this social web appified walled garden simpleton era of software needs to go.

That big datacenter in the fucking burning depths of Hell.

It's time for a new manifesto. A new revolution, comrades. Stoke the fires of hatred and let your geek rage seethe.

My friends, it's time to say...

Fuck The Future.

Discuss.
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Re: Do we really have to?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2012, 02:08 »
If we're going to put everything on the cloud, why not at least make it a P2P cloud? At least that way everyone owns the cloud, and you still own your computer.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2012, 09:33 »
I like clouds for browser and theme settings. But for data, I'm less enthousiastic.
I should read Dropbox' EULA, I'm afraid they legally own my stupid pictures of me and my friends getting drunk.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2012, 06:55 »
Internet apps don't bother me so much on my iPhone/iPad.  If it seeped over to the desktop en masse I'd be a little more annoyed. It works well on mobile platforms where ordinary HTML might not provide the greatest experience, either function-wise or speed-wise.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 22:50 »
Most of these apps are fucking useless that just access the website (see: all the wikipedia apps you see / dictionaries). 

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Do we really have to?
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 01:02 »
The Wikipedia app shouldn't be necessary.  Wikipedia just doesn't offer a mobile version of their website that could function similarly.  When reading an article on the normal page is straining I usually open the Wikipedia app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 2 June 2012, 16:33 »
$65 computers handheld and outputting to your TV or whatever we'll call that in the future is right within our reach, and the way to do it is precisely using the cloud and web-based apps.

Screw apps designed for your specific OS or device, it will be all about apps designed to web- and other standards, on devices optimized to display the web.

It's google (for docs) you need to press for the Word 5 compatibility.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/563764893-Freeshipping-MK802-Mini-PC-Mini-Android4-0-dongle-android-IPTV-google-tv-smart-android-box-allwinner-wholesalers.html
$75 computer (ok im out by $10) running Android.

It seems clear that you won't get this stuff from Apple, unfortunately, or when you do your device will be locked-down.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.