Miscellaneous > The Lounge

Do we really have to?

(1/2) > >>

hm_murdock:
Do we really have to all use internet "apps" for everything? I mean... Nobody asked me if that's what I want to do, it's just assumed that I want this. More and more crap is made on simpleton websites and talked about as though it's actual software.

LOL

Please, bitches.

Real software requires a mouse, a keyboard, and a fucking brain to use. At least I can rest safe knowing that if my old Macs ever stop running. I can cram Ubuntu or Mint onto a generic-ass white box I cobbled together from parts they sell at the local Goodwill and keep computing like it's 1999.

They sell 1GHz eMac G4s with a gig of RAM and upgraded to a 100GB hard disk for $65. Quicksilver G4 towers with similar specs for $90. They had an Intel (ugh) Mac mini for $225.

Generic PC parts (tested and known good) can be had for even less.

When Tim Cook hands me an iPad that can open Word 5 files, has a keyboard with Cherry keyswitches, and has a 17" or larger screen I might give a fuck. Well, I will if it costs less than sixty five fucking dollars.

I don't even keep an up-to-date web browser. Not like I have a fucking choice anymore, since giving the finger to earlier releases of OS X is totally en vogue these days.

Assholes say, "OMG 10.4 is to oooolllllld for mah web browsah u shud get sum new kit n00b"

I say, "You are cordially invited to go to Hell."

Which is precisely where all this social web appified walled garden simpleton era of software needs to go.

That big datacenter in the fucking burning depths of Hell.

It's time for a new manifesto. A new revolution, comrades. Stoke the fires of hatred and let your geek rage seethe.

My friends, it's time to say...

Fuck The Future.

Discuss.

Laukev7:
If we're going to put everything on the cloud, why not at least make it a P2P cloud? At least that way everyone owns the cloud, and you still own your computer.

Refalm:
I like clouds for browser and theme settings. But for data, I'm less enthousiastic.
I should read Dropbox' EULA, I'm afraid they legally own my stupid pictures of me and my friends getting drunk.

bedouin:
Internet apps don't bother me so much on my iPhone/iPad.  If it seeped over to the desktop en masse I'd be a little more annoyed. It works well on mobile platforms where ordinary HTML might not provide the greatest experience, either function-wise or speed-wise.

adiment:
Most of these apps are fucking useless that just access the website (see: all the wikipedia apps you see / dictionaries). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version