Author Topic: My Redhat9 outperforms My Windows XP  (Read 471 times)

TuxLinux

• Kudos: 49
My Redhat9 outperforms My Windows XP
« on: 27 July 2003, 21:40 »
My Redhat & Windows xp

Hello, I  am new to this forum and I have some comments to make and a question to ask. I want an honest answer  though,  not from your views of hate but honest answer.

I have a Redhat9 linux  running  on the pc I am sending the message from. The operating system is great, I just love it. I have all the software that I need in the world.  Now, I have  second PC that runs windows xp for nearly 2 years. During those 2 years I have formatted the PC around 1,00000,00000,000 times :-D well less but you get the point.

Why is my linux running and not getting slower? However my windows xp box that has been formatted 6 months ago. Without anything new added to it just seems to become slower and slower. I mean each month it seems to be getting worse. It now takes few minutes  to just  finish loading everything. The first program seems to stall a bit too. Before anyone says Microsoft sucks or so! I would like an explanation out of curiosity what is happeneing to the   operating system ????  ( too of a good word to name Microsoft product break system is better) What is in the code that is  disintegrates on its own?

You may ask, why don't you delete Windows and put linux on  it? It is a compaq computer and would get messed up. Since it stores bios on a seprate partition called D drive. It would just not  boot after linux install. Too risky to mess with the D drive.  Also, My Mother is using that commputer. So I have no control  over  the pc. Btw,  I have tried running Slackware USMSDOS on that PC and it runs fine once booted from floppy into dos. So it is not a "compaq trash" the pc uses AMD processor too. I see it has a potential to work normally!

Thanks for reading what I have wrote and waiting for an answer/thought.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2003, 03:05 »
Two things:

Windows likes to keep records logs and other lists on your HD.  That means that what was originally designed to aid RAM, now bogs down your system, all those temp files and crap.

Windows is bloated, had you not seen RedHat keeping speed over time you would not have realized that windows should not be slowing down.  Therfore it is likely that if you didnot know it should keep speed you might go out and buy a new processor, more ram etc.  MS and Hardware manufacturers saying you scratch my back......

I did not know that the D partion was the BIOS on a compaq, that really sucks! ( I always wondered why compaqs had such a small partition)  what would happen if you installed Linux only over the C partition and not D, would it still load????

Happy to here your on Linux

TuxLinux

« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2003, 23:10 »
Hey again, Sorry I did not get a reply letter to my inbox. So I did not know I got a reply. I do not think it is possible to do this. Because the D drive is really C well, on another thought you could resize the drive. But I doubt it would work it is already small as it is  :-D since it is split into C and D.

Yes I love linux and will continue to use it. Only, downfall is that my router does not work with it because of Microsofts monopoly.  Thanks god all my other hardware that I made sure was linux compatable works.

Btw, I am working on a website for linux and will release it here if I manage to finish it.

TuxLinux

« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2003, 23:12 »
And Thanks for the info!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2003, 00:39 »
how does the router not work? it could just be a setting in redhat.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle:951 ]

TuxLinux

« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2003, 05:44 »
Hello again, I bought a "Trendnet TW100-S4W1CA" blue colored router. here is a good pic of it: http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/33-156-001-02.jpg I connected it to the modem as the instructions mention. All the lights go on. But I can't use the internet. The modem and the network card without the router work great. The router comes with 2 disks for "windows all versions" . It is sitting on my desk and have no clue what to do with it. I disconncted it because it has no use!

What I find odd is that the PC should careless about the router as it is about my external  westwell modem. Since the network card is configured.

I use adsl and use redhat's network  program. So far I put my password in and username. Redhat  is smart as it  locates my dynamic dns each time.   If I should do any changes please let me know Thanks!

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: TuxLinux ]