Author Topic: Winblows Media Player?  (Read 2715 times)

Mysterio

• Kudos: 0
Winblows Media Player?
« on: 15 March 2002, 06:05 »
I hate this fucking thing. It slows everything down too much. Winamp is much better (for you Windoze users) for playing MP3's.

Only something that says "Windows" in it's title would suck so much. Figures, doesn't it?
"To put it simply, the Xbox blows dogs for nickels"

-Mysterio

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2002, 12:11 »
That's not all. WMP was deliberately designed to play MP3s with all the audio quality of a Victorola, as His Gatesness wants to kill off the MP3 format.  :eek:   As if that were not bad enough, that damn thing reports every CD or DVD you play. Why? Who really knows? M$ says it's for some indexing feature or something. But can we really trust their word for it? :D   Just one more reason I'm glad I'm running Linux. At least I can trust that it doesn't have any daemons that go running home to mother every time I go on-line.

Powered by GNU/Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2002, 14:19 »
yeah, i use winamp on the (getting rarer) occasions when i boot into windows, and it wins compared to winmedia player. i got WMP for the iMac at work, and guess what? it's much better than the windows version. I'm only using it for streaming media though. And it's still got a patronising interface, where you can't change a thing you want to.

In linux though i am using xmms, but it is not as good as winamp. Close, but no cigar. I think i'll try musicmatch next. It's the id3 tag issue that pisses me off. i use grip to rip my cds (it's a frontend for cdparanoia and whatever mp3 encoder you want to use, so you don't need to run one after the other,or type in the command strings) and i have it set to append id3v1 and id3v2 tags into the mp3 files, but xmms only lets me edit the id3v1 tags, while it actually gets its info from the id3v2 tag! which means that if something is "Unknown Artist - Unknown Track" you can go in and change the id3 tag and save it in the file, but xmms won't use yr new id3 info, because the older id3v2 info still has the wrong contents.

That is actually a tiny little niggle, unless you append a lot of id3 tags (which i do tend to) and windows media player certainly sucks to the nth power compared with that. It only encodes up to 64 kbps, or is it 56, and its erratic playlist situation is as bad as realplayer's...

why use m$ software though, when there's better stuff out there (especially with freeware like IExplore or WMP) when you can excercise yr own choice?

just as an aside btw, my install CD of windows millenium installs windows media player 6.2 and also windows media player 7.0 by default. there's nothing you can do about it, and no uninstaller. This pisses me off because i think WMP 6.2 is the best version i have used ever! (i would use it mainly for movie files though) And i would uninstall 7.0 if i could and keep 6.2. Also, here's the best bit:
The default installation of winmedia player 7.0 doesn't even work!
The first time i run it (and all subsequent times) i get an "illegal operation" message and the program exits before it even loaded the GUI!

to get it working properly, after every reinstall of windows, i must install WMP 7.1 over the top of it, from a free cover CD i got from Australian PC User magazine last year! useless! and the pisser is that that's how it is set up by default! so i can't just change my install cd to install the working version, i have to do it by hand! I know, one of these days, i will probably burn an image of a working (hah!) windows system, but now i have linux, the incentive dwindles...

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

badkarma

• VIP
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2002, 19:40 »
mpg123 all the way baby  :D
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2002, 00:11 »
yup, as i say though, xmms is my mpg123 frontend. still looking though!

ihateinterdev

Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2002, 01:34 »
Funny thing.  After cleaning up my drive one day, using defragmenter, all audio through the Media Player doubles a lot of the parts...drum beats, guitars, etc.  Very very weird.  

I don't care though, I just quit using the stupid thing.  Quicktime on my Mac, running 500 mghz slower I might add, plays DVDs so much more smoothly.
"ughhh!"

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2002, 01:16 »
Winamp is a good media player. Tis ashame I'm not updating past version 2.78 because 2.79 is full of AOL spam(and I'm sure it will stay the same for all future releases....FUCK AOL). Who else is AOL gonna buy off?

Bateluer

Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #7 on: 1 April 2002, 07:19 »
Winamp rocks, too bad it got bought by AOL.  :(

WHY DO THEY HAVE TO FILL ALL THEIR PRODUCTS WITH TRASH!?!?!??!!?!

I need a good player for vids, AVI's, and DivX yet. The Playa does not quite cut it as a total replacement. And Quicktime just plain sucks.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #8 on: 1 April 2002, 07:37 »
yes, winamp does kick ass for windows, but what should i use with linux?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #9 on: 1 April 2002, 14:24 »
i'd like to add my voice to this query. maybe nobody's talking linux because we're in the Microsoft section of the forums...
still, i'd like to know if somebody can be bothered, is there a better frontend to mpg123 than xmms?
i love it's interface but firstly it only writes id3 v1 tags, but reads id3 v2 tags. useless.
Also it does not shut down properly, it leaves several processes running which need killed by hand, and which stop the cd drive being unmounted et cetera.
Any alternative will be gratefully considered!

Fredledingue

• http://www.geocities.com/fredledingo/
Winblows Media Player?
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2002, 01:41 »
You need WinAmp for HiFi only.
If you want to do the easy way and not install the big Winamp: Clic on the MP3 file icon, chose open with..., choose mplayer or mplayer2.
Do it for any video or audio file.
Then set it up as default player if you like it, in "view" "folder option"...