Author Topic: Removing "Phone Home" features from XP?  (Read 683 times)

trc3

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
Removing "Phone Home" features from XP?
« on: 29 June 2002, 16:26 »
I was wondering anyone could suggest a program or "hack" to disable the "Phone Home" features in XP.  I  Also want to uninstall Outlook and MovieMaker, but the bastards dont have it in the add/remove menu, i searched around a little but couldnt find anything.  Thank you in advance to anyone with any help or suggestions...

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2002, 18:14 »

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2002, 20:49 »
sorry, trc, i cannot help you, i think that XP has gone beyond the point where people should be wasting their time trying to force it to do what you want it to. It's time to say bye bye to windows for good. Did you hear that the next version of windows (called palladium right now) wishes to remove administrator access from the computer owner, and place it in the hands of Microsoft, where they can then login as root (or whatever it's called in windows) remotely?

BTW, thanks for the copy of FreeBSD, trc, did you get mandrake ok?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

trc3

« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2002, 04:14 »
I agree Calum, XP is worthless, but i had to install it just to see and use it for myself.  I've only had it for 3 days and to say the least im unimpressed, i'll most likley go back to using 98.  Yea i got the mandrake cd's[Thank You], i had it installed within 20 minutes of opening the package, and for the most part i love it, i still havent made the jump to get rid of windoze all together though.  I like having both, if i cant find a program to do what i want in linux [witch rarely happens] i can ussually find one for windoze and vise versa.  I hadnt heard about palladium before, i searched around and found some articles and from what i read this sounds like by far the worst idea ever to come out of M$...

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: trc3 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2002, 06:10 »
palladium makes xp look like windows 95....

x11Bob also did that thing of installing windows xp so he could have a first hand look at what it's like, his posts are often filled now with "i hate xp" and "don't get xp, it's crap".

myself, i still have a dual boot, winME was really not cutting it, so i have upgraded to windows 98. (of course it still plays second fiddle to mandrake whenever hardware incompatibilities can be overcome.

PS i kind of felt a bit sheepish when i got those FreeBSD CDs, trc, since i only sent you the two mandrake CDs in turn! hope they were adequate! anyway, sorry to harp on about it...

maybe you should install zonealarm on your winxP system, it's a fee firewall that alerts you and asks permission whenever anything (including itself) wants to connect or act as a server...

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2002, 07:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by trc3:
I hadnt heard about palladium before, i searched around and found some articles and from what i read this sounds like by far the worst idea ever to come out of M$...

Not only that, by my count it would be their *first* idea.  If in fact it was their idea, which I'm sure it wasn't but it wouldn't be unlike them.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2002, 07:39 »
too bad its not the first time i think that they have used the technologie either. think about the xbox not haveing the ability to run abirtray code is a good example, hmmmmmm.......
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

trc3

« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2002, 12:19 »
quote:
PS i kind of felt a bit sheepish when i got those FreeBSD CDs, trc, since i only sent you the two mandrake CDs in turn! hope they were adequate

They were more then adequate, their great!...Since i got my mac with osx i hardly even touched my pc, but then i installed mandrake and it was like a whole new world.  It not only does what i want and dosent spy on me, it's some thing new to me so i get to play around for hours trying to learn about it.  My friends all think im a nerd now, cause lately ive just been staying at home on my computer messing with linux. But it's all good, it's fun.  [edit] I've come to the conclusion XP is a complete pile of worthless shit.  It's by far a downgrade from 98. All they did was put a ugly skin on it, change the names of a few folders and add ten times as many useless programs and "services".  But dont forget the new start menu for easier access, this is suck a crock XP sucks...Also ive noticed everytime i do a search on my computer norton blocks C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe trying to access the net, im going back to winME it's not that bad compared to XP...

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: trc3 ]