Author Topic: Microsoft integrates Windows with BIOS  (Read 539 times)

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
Microsoft integrates Windows with BIOS
« on: 3 October 2003, 22:39 »
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer/0,39020387,39116902,00.htm

I'm pretty sure this is the next step for microsoft to take control of not only your software but your hardware as well.
All your base are belong to us.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 3 October 2003, 22:48 »
I see a point at where you need to isntall Windows first to go into the BIOS, and virusses that hack the BIOS via "remote control hardware temperture". The computerworld used to be cool, but Microsoft really made it suck, again.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #2 on: 4 October 2003, 03:00 »
I think we should go kill everybody at Phoenix. even the cute secretary at the door. poor girl. if only she'd known
Go the fuck ~

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 4 October 2003, 11:10 »
Dude, you know what really burns me about that article. It's the line that says something like: the BIOS is simple enugh so that alternative OS's like Linux can be installed...

Alternative OS??!! Makes it sound like midget sex or something!

PC's by definition are generic. They aren't windowz boxes, they are PC's. You put what you want on them. The assumption that Windows is the only thing to run on the things is offensive.

It's like saying 'alternative ice cream, like chocolate' asumming everyone uses vanilla. Plz..

Sorry, had to rant.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #4 on: 4 October 2003, 12:53 »
I'm thinking Symantec will have a field day selling BIOS antivirus programs...
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

solarismka

« Reply #5 on: 6 October 2003, 21:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Dude, you know what really burns me about that article. It's the line that says something like: the BIOS is simple enugh so that alternative OS's like Linux can be installed...

PC's by definition are generic. They aren't windowz boxes, they are PC's. You put what you want on them. The assumption that Windows is the only thing to run on the things is offensive.

It's like saying 'alternative ice cream, like chocolate' asumming everyone uses vanilla. Plz..

Sorry, had to rant.

Actualy, its extreamly well put!!!!

:D    
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #6 on: 6 October 2003, 22:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:

Sorry, had to rant.

It is no different for PC's than it is with Macs. When you buy a Mac what normally comes pre-installed on it? MacOS. When you talk about a Mac what usually comes to mind? MacOS. So is it absurd to call other OSes for the Mac alternatives? Is it absurd that alot of people think that the only thing a Mac will run is MacOS?

Of course not. There is a big, mainstream OS that everybody is familiar with and knows how to use for the Mac and for the PC. Linux, BeOS, etc. really are alternatives. They are alternatives to what everybody knows.

Any non-mainstream OS can be considered an alternative to mainstream OSes.
Realistically, how many people do you know in real life that own a PC and don't use Windows(I said real life...not people on the MES forums)? Does that number of people you know who do not use Windows outweigh the number of people you know who does use Windows on their PC? Do more people you know who own a Mac use Linux than MacOS?

I think I can already answer the question for you. Most of the people you know more than likely uses the mainstream OS for the platform in question. Why is it mainstream? Because it is what everybody uses.

The only thing that alternative OS really means is it is an alternative to what *EVERYBODY* uses. What is so bad it being called an alternative?

[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

solarismka

« Reply #7 on: 7 October 2003, 04:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Viper:

It is no different for PC's than it is with Macs. When you buy a Mac what normally comes pre-installed on it? MacOS. When you talk about a Mac what usually comes to mind? MacOS. So is it absurd to call other OSes for the Mac alternatives? Is it absurd that alot of people think that the only thing a Mac will run is MacOS?

Of course not. There is a big, mainstream OS that everybody is familiar with and knows how to use for the Mac and for the PC. Linux, BeOS, etc. really are alternatives. They are alternatives to what everybody knows.

Any non-mainstream OS can be considered an alternative to mainstream OSes.
Realistically, how many people do you know in real life that own a PC and don't use Windows(I said real life...not people on the MES forums)? Does that number of people you know who do not use Windows outweigh the number of people you know who does use Windows on their PC? Do more people you know who own a Mac use Linux than MacOS?

I think I can already answer the question for you. Most of the people you know more than likely uses the mainstream OS for the platform in question. Why is it mainstream? Because it is what everybody uses.

The only thing that alternative OS really means is it is an alternative to what *EVERYBODY* uses. What is so bad it being called an alternative?

[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

Although windows were basicaly what people use, I find that this is no longer fact. I know more people who use the 'Alternative'  than people that use windows.  

At least over here in Ontario.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.