Author Topic: Why Microsoft will always be king  (Read 1267 times)

avid007

• Kudos: 0
    • http://nope
Why Microsoft will always be king
« Reply #30 on: 21 October 2002, 10:40 »
quote:

As an IT decision maker, the switch to Linux is very much on at the corporate level for cost effectiveness, security, stability and support. Also, (I know not everyone like IBM) IBM are embracing Linux with their Midrange server line such as the iSeries (AS400) which is the platform in use where I work.

You must be a moron.  A smart IT decision?  Where do you work?  There is no way in hell any company would put up with their execs using Linux.  It is just too damn complicated.  Plus, there are compatibility issues that would seriously fuck up any big company.  Now, if you work for a development company that makes software or something, that is a different story.

As for your AS/400 comments, you are wrong in saying the are "embracing" linux.  The only thing that truly differentiates AS/400's is their reliable OS, OS/400 that is the key to their market and they would be foolish to give that up.  Its reliability is the reason that banks, hospitals and other zero downtime institutions use them for their critical apps.

quote:

i dont know if this has already been said, because i've yet to take the time to read the two pages of posts, but:

did you know that AD is a ripoff of something called NDS?

i dont quite remember who created this, but i think it was novell.

I am well aware of that.  Embrace and extend.  However, it continues to work for MS.  BASIC??? Windows (Xerox/Macintosh) IE(netscape)???  POWERPOINT (Harvard Graphics)???  JAVA(Sun)??  

That is what makes MS smart and powerful.  So, you can't authenticate Windows 2k or XP off of a Novell NDS and have all the operability that you have with AD, that is the point.  

So, who cares who invented it, second place is often better than first if first place slept.

-avid007  :cool:
---
Don't fight the battle you can't win

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #31 on: 21 October 2002, 12:21 »
quote:
you must be a moron
yes, you must.
Your first couple of posts were ok. hopelessly misguided and ill informed, but pretty bog standard and run of the mill. Now that people have responded to you and given you information, you turn out to be one of those idiots who refuses to believe anything except marketing bullshit.  
quote:
if first place slept
Funny how windows has taken 20 years to get where it is today, and by contrast, KDE has been on the go for 5 years, and GNOME for 4 years, and many people think they are superior desktop environments to windows. The majority who use windows have never used anything else, whereas everybody who has used linux or BSD has used windows at some point. Click here for more information on this subject.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2002, 20:28 »
A moron ? Really ? It must be spreading in the AS400 community then as my peers see it as a viable alternative and many of them are dabbling, myself included and I know a few who are going to make the switch and make it work come what may. Everyday I see articles on people making the switch from M$ to Linux. i have only seen one switch away from Linux, Hard Rock Hotels. Maybe Window$ will remain king, it's just that the Kingdom will be getting smaller.

Why wouldn't it work, what compatibility issues do you see ? What makes it so damn complicated ? Are our users such dimwitted fuckwits they can't learn anything new ?

You know something of the AS400 but you obviously don't work with it and you are certainly not aware of IBM's Linux strategy. There are IBM commercials running here that depict the
@(e)Server series and Linux running hand in hand.
IBM are well up for Linux and if you work with the AS400, you have to give that due consideration.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Chooco

« Reply #33 on: 22 October 2002, 00:13 »
avid is right in saying "it would be too complicated"

go to an office building and look how many stupid people there are. now, if we take those same stupid people and put them on Linux which is not as user friendly for things like printers and stuff like that, do you honestly think they would be able to do it? most people dont even know how to poke around through menus, my brother have no clue how to save pictures from the internet, i have to keep showing him over and over again.
if things that simple trip people up, there is no way they can cope with Linux.

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #34 on: 22 October 2002, 00:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:

go to an office building and look how many stupid people there are. now, if we take those same stupid people and put them on Linux which is not as user friendly for things like printers and stuff like that, do you honestly think they would be able to do it? most people dont even know how to poke around through menus, my brother have no clue how to save pictures from the internet, i have to keep showing him over and over again.

It's true, there are many stupid people who are required to use computers in the work place. So what's the difference between helping a fuckwit with a windows problem and a fuckwit with a Linux problem ? Either way, they need support. Besides, the problem is not the software, it's the users inability to grasp a concept. Are you adopted by any chance ?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #35 on: 22 October 2002, 00:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:

I have a feeling you have never worked in an "office environment". I have worked in an environment of around 3,000 users. Where WindowsNT Workstation was the exclusive desktop environment. I can tell you that we had the machines locked down so tight that the users could not change a thing, including adding printers on their workstation. This was all preconfigured by administrators. And if a change needed to be done, it was done by an administrator.

Many office environments are at least that strict. So in an office environment it's not a user issue, it's an administrator issue. And customizing the desktop/printing as an administrator is much easier on Linux than it is on Windows (assuming equally competent administrators for both platforms). The question is, can you find or develop the required applications for Linux to run your business. The answer right now is "yes" for some, and "no" for others.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #36 on: 22 October 2002, 00:38 »
Microsoft is already the king of the hill. The user base numbers, the widespread use of MS formats as a standard, the gaming+application and hardware support for MS Windows, The profit that MS makes even during an economic slump, etc. speaks for itself.

Longhorn and Blackcomb are going to be the final nails in the Open Source coffin.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: 22 October 2002, 00:40 »
Zombie, when open source usage starts to decline rather than climb as it has been doing steadily and exponentially, then come back. Until then, everything you say is nothing more than FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

trickyt

« Reply #38 on: 22 October 2002, 01:07 »
Creedon wrote: My biggest issue with Microsoft is their ruthless business practices; they seem to be willing to degrade their own product to make it difficult (or impossible) for anyone to create applications that can be used on a Windows system, and NOT be owned by Microsoft (or at least licenced by Microsoft).
Creedon You get 5 stars because I totally agree with you.
Avid007: I rated you 5 stars too, because your points are well made and very rational.  Also i agree with you, it is a good OS, even if their business practices are monopolistic.
I L M$'s $$$$ (means I love their Dollars)

Zombie9920

« Reply #39 on: 22 October 2002, 01:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Happy XP User:
Creedon wrote: My biggest issue with Microsoft is their ruthless business practices; they seem to be willing to degrade their own product to make it difficult (or impossible) for anyone to create applications that can be used on a Windows system, and NOT be owned by Microsoft (or at least licenced by Microsoft).
Creedon You get 5 stars because I totally agree with you.
Avid007: I rated you 5 stars too, because your points are well made and very rational.  Also i agree with you, it is a good OS, even if their business practices are monopolistic.

Microsofts' business practices aren't nearly as good as thier NT OSes..but hey, are there any honest businesses out there?

A business has to be ruthless to survive in the cut-throat corporate world. If a business isn't ruthless they will be plowed under by a bigger dog(like how MS plowed Apple and Be under).

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #40 on: 22 October 2002, 01:25 »
That's why Linux is better. It's not owned by a business. There is no "ruthlessness" involved. It's there for the people, by the people.

Zombie9920

« Reply #41 on: 22 October 2002, 01:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
That's why Linux is better. It's not owned by a business. There is no "ruthlessness" involved. It's there for the people, by the people.

The Linux kernel isn't owned by a business, but Linux distros are. Do you think for one minute that RedHat Software, Mandrake Software, Lindows, etc. wouldn't be ruthless if they had a chance to be ruthless?

Face it man, businesses want money and they need money to stay alive.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: 22 October 2002, 01:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
The Linux kernel isn't owned by a business, but Linux distros are. Do you think for one minute that RedHat Software, Mandrake Software, Lindows, etc. wouldn't be ruthless if they had a chance to be ruthless?

Face it man, businesses want money and they need money to stay alive.

Distros are made up of the same free software that the kernel is. I have used RedHat for quite some time now, but honestly I could give a rats ass less if they go out of business tomorrow. I switch to Debian and keep on trucking (Debian is not owned by a business). I have no problem with people making a business "around" Linux which is what most of the distro vendors have done. But they do not own Linux.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #43 on: 22 October 2002, 02:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
how will they get the chance? and you wonder why i call you a dumbass...

Hibeeboy, my girlfriend is adopted and she prefers to use linux, for your information. Also, just to clarify as i wasn't sure from your response, i was not agreeing with avid, i was, in fact, calling him a moron.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #44 on: 22 October 2002, 04:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

Hibeeboy, my girlfriend is adopted and she prefers to use linux, for your information. Also, just to clarify as i wasn't sure from your response, i was not agreeing with avid, i was, in fact, calling him a moron.

The flippant adoption remark was not intended to offend, it was my attempt at non PC humour. I mean, if the guys brother can't manage to attach/download something off the internet after being shown numerous times, are they really related ? Well, in Alabama you can be related.. --- never mind, it backfired the last time    

I took the liberty of assuming you were not calling me a moron.