Author Topic: Why Microsoft will always be king  (Read 1265 times)

Chooco

• Kudos: 0
Why Microsoft will always be king
« Reply #45 on: 22 October 2002, 07:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:

I have a feeling you have never worked in an "office environment". I have worked in an environment of around 3,000 users. Where WindowsNT Workstation was the exclusive desktop environment. I can tell you that we had the machines locked down so tight that the users could not change a thing, including adding printers on their workstation. This was all preconfigured by administrators. And if a change needed to be done, it was done by an administrator.

Many office environments are at least that strict. So in an office environment it's not a user issue, it's an administrator issue. And customizing the desktop/printing as an administrator is much easier on Linux than it is on Windows (assuming equally competent administrators for both platforms). The question is, can you find or develop the required applications for Linux to run your business. The answer right now is "yes" for some, and "no" for others.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

lol, at my mom's work, one of her co-workers opened an email attatchment and it shut down the entire network last week. i was suprised to find my mom come home at 1PM. the network was down so they just sent her and her friends home early    :rolleyes:  

i know what you mean though, at my school, the accounts are so tight SOOO TIGHT!!. there is no DOS prompt (thank god), i can't access the FTP port. i have absolutely no access to the local hard drive, only access to my segment of the network drive on the main server (which is like 30mb i think). i can't view certain forums such as the one at xtragaming.net and IE does not have Java, Flash or Shockwave. our school network has NEVER had a problem   :D

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Chooco ]