Author Topic: fucking windows is so fucking gay  (Read 1247 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
fucking windows is so fucking gay
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2004, 00:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
If you do connect it directly to the internet, but install antivirus and firewall software, then that also sucks ass because a)Norton hogs major resources, and b)Software firewalls are SO annoying. Constantly popping up telling you such and such is trying to access the internet. And even if you configure them properly, they're still annoying cause they cause problems with direct connections in AIM, p2p, or games.

Well I have the XP firewall running.     It's not annoying, but god knows how well it works.  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2004, 01:27 »
When I was windows only and had DSL, the modem was connected directly to the machine. I didnt have virus & worm problems. In fact, it ran great. WinXP Pro. The only time I have problems with it is when I use IE, or do some heavy 3d work.
Of course, I just blame windows for the softwares problems. Its so much easier that way.

If you are not an idiot you should be fine using windows. Dont use kazaa, dont download misc zip files, dont login as Admin, keep it updated, blah blah blah. Beware of your emails of course.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2004, 04:11 »
look at all this evidence to the contrary! people who use windows and like it fine! oh my... SEEMS THAT IT'S NOT SO BAD AFTER ALL
Go the fuck ~

Pyrotechnician_2004

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freewebs.com/paganchurch/
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2004, 18:55 »
Yeah, Fedora rules, its free for one (I got it from an issue of LXF!)

I think its as simple as this :

Freedom with your OS : Linux/Mac OS

No freedom & constant annoyances : M$ Windows

It's your decision.  
Linux - Open Source, Freedom, Mostly Free.
Windows - Closed Source, Virtually No Freedom, Very Expensive (seen XP Pro for

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2004, 00:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotechnician_2004:
:: I'm fed up with Windows, had to re-install it 30 times thanks to viruses & guess what, I USE A ROUTER!!!! ::

well. That sucks. However. I would like to know the circumstances for this. I have had my share of problems with Windows, and dealt with the reinstalls, etc. When shit kept happening, I stopped just reinstalling, and did what I do with Linux or OSX. Actually find out the problem and fix it. Turns out, it was usually hardware or the drivers causing problems. Once that was resolved, windows ran fine.

Now. If you had to reinstall because of virii 30 times then you are an idiot. You had anti virus software installed, and actually updated it, right? Seriousely. I only had to reinstall windows ONCE because of a virus. I learned my lesson after that.And why would using a router prevent you from getting infected.

Maybe i dont get it. Why would using a router prevent you from getting infected?

Okay. I think i should say something else. In the past, especially here, I have ragged on windows quite a bit. Ranting, mostly blaming everything on windows. Software crashed? Windows fault. Even if it was just some bloated, poorly written app. Got a virus? Windows fault. Hardware not working, windows fault again. However, I cannot burn a cd while doing ANYTHNING else, let alone have more than a few apps open. But apps like Viz, AutoCad, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver should probably not all be open at the same time anyways. Even OSX chokes with a bunch of hogs open like that.

[/ramble]

Pyrotechnician_2004

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.freewebs.com/paganchurch/
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2004, 01:20 »
I know, i'm an idiot for not having anti-virii software, but if the OS was stable enough (like Linux is) you don't need anti-virii software do you?    

It's Windows fault for being virii-prone, thats why I went to Linux, was fed up of crap like BSOD's & random restarting because of Windows (yes it was Windows fault).

Another problem with Windows is the paging file, I found that it goes out of control, its so dumb!
Linux - Open Source, Freedom, Mostly Free.
Windows - Closed Source, Virtually No Freedom, Very Expensive (seen XP Pro for

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2004, 01:39 »
If people wouldnt login as admin in windows, and actually took care of it like many of us linux and mac users do, I doubt that there would be the number of problems plaguing windows as there is. Not to say that windows is quality, its far from that.

When i think about linux having the user base that windows does, alot of "normal" average users, who dont know how to use the computer, who dont care about it, all I see is exactly what we have now. Perhaps it wont be the kind of worms and virii we have now, but something just as bad will come out of it.

Of course Linux is much more stable than windows, and isnt written nearly as poorly, but that does not prevent it from attack. When linux has 90% desktop control, you think people will focus on writting exploits for windows? They will focus on linux. And there will always be retards who login in as root, or donot update their systems, who will allow these exploits to fuck their systems up.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2004, 03:38 »
quote:
Maybe i dont get it. Why would using a router prevent you from getting infected?

Simple. With a router you don't have to worry about anything coming in to your system through Windows holes and exploits. If you have a hole, chances are you won't have anything flow into it from the internet if you have a router because a router redirects all calls to null if setup properly (like mine).

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2004, 05:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

Simple. With a router you don't have to worry about anything coming in to your system through Windows holes and exploits. If you have a hole, chances are you won't have anything flow into it from the internet if you have a router because a router redirects all calls to null if setup properly (like mine).

Thats not going to prevent an infection. If you open an email, or download a file, you will get infected.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2004, 07:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ecsyle...:
If people wouldnt login as admin in windows, and actually took care of it like many of us linux and mac users do, I doubt that there would be the number of problems plaguing windows as there is.

True.  Very true.  BUT, pretty much all versions of Windows encourage logging in as Administrator (or as  a member of the Adminstrators group).  Even XP.

In Linux, you can do all system administration from your user account, by having the configuration program request your root password.  In Windows, there isn't any real way to do this for a lot of settings apps.  (Yes, I know about "Run As..." but that won't work for a lot of stuff.)

Therefore, you have to do a full login as an Admin in Windows, so people will just use that all the time to avoid having to log out of a limited account.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2004, 07:59 »
In Windows you pretty much have to be logged in as an administrator to do anything if you're above the computer n00b level. If you dont have admin priveledges you cant install a lot of progs, run a lot of stuff, and can't even change the fucking clock!

I've actually recently experienced a problem while running DVD Decrypter from a normal user account. WTF is that? Just shows you gotta be admin-level to do anything in Windows.

pandronic

• Kudos: 115
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2004, 19:08 »
What the hell is this about not logging in as Admin??? I mean - let's go to the root of the problem ... why the fuck do I need to log in on my home computer? The whole login concept is plain stupid if we are talking about computers that are used by one or two persons.

And about the viruses - I don't use AV programs (just maybe every 6 months I do a system scan) - and never had problems. It's very simple - don't use IE or Outlook, look from time to time at what programs are running (and I don't mean through the taskmanager - use a program that shows you all the processes) and don't do anything stupid - like running suspicious attachements. And the most important thing of all - don't use the latest version of Windows, use older versions that have more patches - I use Win98 (with all the patches installed) or Win2K (sp4).

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2004, 19:18 »
quote:
don't use the latest version of Windows, use older versions that have more patches - I use Win98 (with all the patches installed) or Win2K (sp4).

I use Win2k with Sp4. Remember, Win2k shares all the same exploits that XP has.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2004, 23:46 »
quote:
xeen: Just shows you gotta be admin-level to do anything in Windows.

Uhm... if you make an account as an administrator in Windows, that account is standard in the Machine Local Administrator group.

Maybe you should install it again on the account that you want to use it on, must be something with "%root\Documents and Settings\".

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2004, 00:02 »
quote:
- I use Win98 (with all the patches installed)

Shitty. Shitty shitty shitty shitty. I can't say it enough... Win98 is shitty.
Go the fuck ~