Author Topic: msn messenger  (Read 669 times)

meikmundt

• Kudos: 0
msn messenger
« on: 23 September 2002, 01:55 »
i absolutely hate msn messenger. but i have a hotmail account so when a web site asks me for an email account, i have a b*llshit one to give them so i dont get shit it my pop3 mailbox. but for outlook to check my hotmail it always opens msn messenger. my prob is even if you remove it from startup with msconfig anytime it is launched again (which is when i open outlook) it puts it self back into startup. any idear how to get the f*ckin thing out of startup for good.

"as always i know i should use linux"

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
msn messenger
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2002, 01:57 »
Yes, get rid of Windows and get Linux. If you want M$ support call them for support. Or go to a Windows lovers BBS like http://www.windowsbbs.com/ where they will be more than happy to give you faulty answers....
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
msn messenger
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2002, 01:59 »
why not rename the msn executable. Change it form msn.exe to ms.shit or something. Then it will stop.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

meikmundt

msn messenger
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2002, 02:02 »
i can't rename it, cause i need it to still work. like i said it runs in order to view my hotmail account through outlook. i just want the shit gone from start up.

im guessing the only way is to hex edit the exe but im lookin if theres any easier way then doing it that way

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
msn messenger
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2002, 02:03 »
outlook!!!???
if you use your hotmail for shittin people then why do you check it!!!!!?????
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

meikmundt

msn messenger
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2002, 02:09 »
because as you know, alot of subscription crap needs you to reply to the email. which means you have to read it and reply!

Master of Reality

• VIP
msn messenger
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2002, 02:28 »
fuck.... when you reply to spam saying you dont want it, the spamserver just comfirms that your email address is real and sends even more spam.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

meikmundt

msn messenger
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2002, 02:36 »
im not replying to spam. im replying to services like like forums and other services and shit as confirmation. and then in term, they give my email to others who spam me. either or way, im just using an email so that my main email doesn't get passed around to spammers. then that way, i can just delete all mail sent to that mail box without having to weed through it. this is my last post, if you dont get what im saying then OH WELL! jesus fuck!

Master of Reality

• VIP
msn messenger
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2002, 03:07 »
ahhhh.... cant you check your hotmail through a browser instead of outlook. Dont use IE though, because it will still open MSN, use Mozilla or somethin.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

saddlemagic

msn messenger
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2002, 03:09 »
Why don't you get a free web mail account somewhere that doesn't make you wade through MSN Messenger.
Bitter? I'm not bitter. After seeing what Bill Gates and MicroSoft has inflicted upon us. I wish Bill would choke on a cheese sandwich and put us out of his misery.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
msn messenger
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2002, 03:14 »
i have the solution to your problems and it is the one i would use, since i actually have outlook and msn installed on the windows side (not by choice, i zapped my windows side with an upgrade off the cd, to see if i could forego another reinstall, and once i was finished, a suspicious copy of msn and outlook had appeared out of nowhere, i keep them since trillian is sometimes a bit weird, and because i can't seem to set up mozilla mail to work directly through hotmail (or bigmailbox.com for that matter) for my girlfriend to click mailto: urls easily)

Anyway, enough waffle! what's the big solution i hear you cry through all that internet generated static! Well, here it comes:

don't run outlook.

Simple.

Hotmail does not need you to run outlook to check it. Instead you can visit hotmail.com with mozilla and check your hotmail there nice and easy. Also remember to set mozilla not to accept 3rd party cookies, and to dispose of all cookies on program exit. These two features along with the fact that mozilla is infinitely tighter than outlook will enable your hotmail experience to be much more secure and risk free too.

This method also allows you to get your hotmail in non-windows operating systems too, something outlook really grudges.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
msn messenger
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2002, 20:43 »
can i just point out that www.linuxmail.com is not a real email service? www.linuxmail.org is however...  ;)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism