Author Topic: Who knew BMW would stoop so low  (Read 643 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Who knew BMW would stoop so low
« on: 21 May 2003, 07:38 »
Found this on some random website

quote:
Microsoft has announced that the BMW 7 Series features its real-time embedded operating system, Windows CE. This comes shortly after Microsoft's Automotive Business Unit launched Windows CE for Automotive v3.5. This latest telematics software version based on Windows CE is an open platform that allows developers to create powerful in-car computing systems. It offers flexibility and choice of hardware platforms, peripherals and software components, as well as being able to take advantage of the growing community of experienced CE developers.

Siemens VDO Automotive AG, BMW's preferred navigation supplier used CE in the Control Display, part of the BMW's iDrive concept which gives easy operation and access to in-car features including the navigation, telephone, climate control and entertainment systems.

And the inevitable Reuters news story, 2003:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Security guards smashed their way into an official limousine with sledgehammers on Monday to rescue Thailand's finance minister after his car's computer failed.

Suchart Jaovisidha and his driver were trapped inside the BMW for more than 10 minutes before guards broke a window. All doors and windows had locked automatically when the computer crashed, and the air-conditioning stopped, officials said.

'We could hardly breathe for over 10 minutes,' Suchart told reporters. 'It took my guard a long time to realize that we really wanted the window smashed so that we could crawl out. It was a harrowing experience.'

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 08:50 »
Saw that news story a while ago, but have yet to find a site that specifies what actual model the car was.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2003, 10:50 »
I believe the whole 7 series BMWs have the iDrive shiat built in. It could be a 745i, 740i, 745Li, anything with the 7 prefix in the name.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

NM

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2003, 11:07 »
This could explain a few things about my neighbors BMW.  I hope the brakes aren't computer controlled (but they are, anti-lock and all that other fun stuff, computers -- have fun!)

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2003, 20:05 »
I just hope aeroplane manufacturers don't start installing this shit.

I did hear an new air traffic control system (I think it was in San Fransisco) running on M$ servers went tits up on the first day !

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: HibbeeBoy ]

Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2003, 21:15 »
I'm sure Windows CE isn't a RTOS.
Is it?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2003, 00:58 »
Of course, because when I think of Microsoft, I think of things that don't crash, stop working for no reason, and don't have unexplainable buggy behavior.  :rolleyes:

NM

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2003, 12:05 »
Maybe they fit together
cars crash all the time as well
I crack myself up sometimes. . . .

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2003, 01:23 »
imagine your GPS display in your nice BMW 7XXi Blue Screening with a fatal exception error! damn, gotta reboot the car!!
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me