Author Topic: Internet Exploder, WTF is going on ?  (Read 1802 times)

zoolooo

• Kudos: 0
Internet Exploder, WTF is going on ?
« Reply #30 on: 6 May 2003, 01:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:

Whatever. I just didn't have time for fucking about at that time.

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: HibbeeBoy ]

Time enough for Internet Explorer though?

YOU are the problem

zooloo

PS. Help thing... dunno.  Mine works.

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2003, 02:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by zoolooo:

Time enough for Internet Explorer though?

YOU are the problem

zooloo

PS. Help thing... dunno.  Mine works.

Yes, I see you are going to focus on the Exploder issue rather than the bigger picture.

Thanks for all your useful input.

Now, fuck off.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

zoolooo

« Reply #32 on: 6 May 2003, 02:58 »
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh get her!

Do climb back in your pram HibbeeBoy.

YOU are still the problem.

zooloo

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: zoolooo ]

zoolooo

« Reply #33 on: 6 May 2003, 02:59 »

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #34 on: 6 May 2003, 03:40 »
quote:

YOU are still the problem.

zooloo

I get the same response from you no matter what. You are nit picking a rather small component of the M$ Eradication strategy (if there is one) by harping on about the Mozilla vs Exploder issue. Come back to me when you have something of substance on the bigger picture. I was grateful for some pointers from other postings, yours included, about the benefits of Mozilla or alternatives to M$ Internet Exploder. You are unwilling (unable ?) to take things further, so again, thanks for the pointers. Now, fuck off again.      

PS I am still persevering with Mozilla despite a couple of nuances i.e lack of a spellchecker in the mail application. The fact I am using Mozilla has done nothing to eradicate Window$ from the corporate desktop.

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: HibbeeBoy ]

zoolooo

« Reply #35 on: 6 May 2003, 04:24 »
quote:
How do they (M$) get away with it ? !! Have they no shame ?    :mad:  

I am addressing the wider point, as above.

Hence, YOU are the problem.

zooloo

There really is no need to swear at me.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #36 on: 6 May 2003, 04:31 »
quote:

I don't understand ? I explained something Mozilla didn't do but somehow it makes up for it by doing something else ?
I'm not here to defend one browser over another. You scream choice but only if the choice is in line with your way of thinking. Hey, I think Mozilla is fine for what I do (still no spellcheck in mail I see) and that is now what I have installed and use at work in a window$ environment. At home I use Linux because I am anti M$ for many reasons.

I see. So that spellchecker in mail is much more important to you than standards compliance. Ok then. If you want to use IE, use it. If I were in your shoes however, I'd go seek some help at the WindowsBBS instead of the MES forums. I'm really sorry but I've stopped using IE, years ago.

As for your claims that substituting IE in a corporate environment doesn't mean absolutely anything, you are wrong again. You, of all people because of your profession, should know that the reason people are not aware of the alternatives is the integration of IE in Windows. So, could you think of a better way to start talking to people about open source and free software solutions? I think not.

ShawnD1

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2003, 04:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

go to this page, and tell me that you can view it fine with IE. Oh, and that's simple CSS Level 2 we're talking about. No Java script or anything more involved.

the CSS menus work in Opera and Mozilla but not in Internet Explorer

btw why haven't you guys mentioned Opera? it's the fastest browser in the world ya know  :D

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2003, 04:45 »
quote:

I am addressing the wider point, as above.

Hence, YOU are the problem.

zooloo

There really is no need to swear at me.

No, you are NOT addressing the wider point. You are so wrapped up on scoring political points on my mis management of the Exploder issue that you have  nothing else to add or debate about eradicating Microsoft from the corporate desktop. This is why I give you the "Thanks, now fuck off" response. Maybe you don't have time to explore the issue, if you don't just stop repeating yourself and well, fuck off.   :rolleyes:  
According to you (unless I have picked you up wrong, please accept my apologies if this is the case), I have failed to grasp an opportunity to eradicate M$ from the corporate environment. No, what happened was I failed to download Mozilla onto a bolloxed up toshiba  < 300mhz laptop for a user who wouldn't use Mozilla if his life depended on it.
What did come out of this was that I have taken a closer look at the Mozilla alternative and for me, find it a suitable replacement for Exploder. So, I will attempt to steer the users towards Mozilla for a browser. The mail application falls a bit short (so far) to the likes of Outlook 2002 but certainly beats Lookout Express (see, I am getting the hang of the lingo) EXCEPT there is no spell checker in the Mozila mail client.

Now, if your response is (again) going to be "YOU are the problem", then expect my usual response to that, otherwise, I will be happy to discuss how corporate IT can eradicate Microsoft from the desktop and how I address some of the shortfalls of the Mozilla e-mail client.

Pantso

« Reply #39 on: 6 May 2003, 04:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
btw why haven't you guys mentioned Opera? it's the fastest browser in the world ya know   :D  

Opera is of course an alternative, and I have used it extensively in the past, however I prefer to use any open source or free software alternative instead, that's all. Opera is perfectly fine though.   ;)

ShawnD1

« Reply #40 on: 6 May 2003, 04:47 »
opera IS free though lol

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #41 on: 6 May 2003, 04:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnD1:
opera IS free though lol

You must be new here..

We are talking about free as in freedom, not price.  Can a normal citizen get the source code to Opera?  Can we distribute Opera to other people freely?

And Opera is not the "fastest browser in the world."  I think Safari/Konqueror have that title now.  Anyway, Mozilla seems plenty fast to me, once it is loaded anyway.

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: Linux User #5225982375 ]

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #42 on: 6 May 2003, 04:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

I see. So that spellchecker in mail is much more important to you than standards compliance. Ok then. If you want to use IE, use it. If I were in your shoes however, I'd go seek some help at the WindowsBBS instead of the MES forums. I'm really sorry but I've stopped using IE, years ago.

As for your claims that substituting IE in a corporate environment doesn't mean absolutely anything, you are wrong again. You, of all people because of your profession, should know that the reason people are not aware of the alternatives is the integration of IE in Windows. So, could you think of a better way to start talking to people about open source and free software solutions? I think not.

Funnily enough, I got better responses here than from the Windows BBS. Didn't exactly address my problem but helped me get through a jam.
Now, the fact that there is no spell checker in the Mozilla e-mail application is a deficiency when you compare to the M$ Lookout applications which is fine for me as I am a reasonably good speller. For other users, this deficiency is a non starter. You can bleat all you want about standards compliance, my users don't give a toss about compliance, heck they wouldn't be able to spell the word, hence the need for a spell checker.
Do any of you people get it ? I AM ON YOUR SIDE.

:rolleyes:  

Anyway, the browser issue is the least of my problems. Unless I can remove Exploder from Window$, there is a less than 1% chance the fuckwit user will not use Exploder. For fucks sake, some of these users are using AOL.

ShawnD1

« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2003, 05:04 »
actually Opera is the fastest browser because it puts everything into memory. if you look at a website often, all the images are saved on the hard drive then loaded from the hard drive.... one of the problems with Opera is caused by that though, you sometimes have to manualy tell it to refresh the page. on my website, i'll edit something and it might not actually show up on the website unless i go to the address bar and hit enter again (while on the same page as in the address bar) or hit the refresh button.

Pantso

« Reply #44 on: 6 May 2003, 05:11 »
quote:

Funnily enough, I got better responses here than from the Windows BBS. Didn't exactly address my problem but helped me get through a jam.
Now, the fact that there is no spell checker in the Mozilla e-mail application is a deficiency when you compare to the M$ Lookout applications which is fine for me as I am a reasonably good speller. For other users, this deficiency is a non starter. You can bleat all you want about standards compliance, my users don't give a toss about compliance, heck they wouldn't be able to spell the word, hence the need for a spell checker.
Do any of you people get it ? I AM ON YOUR SIDE.

:rolleyes:  

Anyway, the browser issue is the least of my problems. Unless I can remove Exploder from Window$, there is a less than 1% chance the fuckwit user will not use Exploder. For fucks sake, some of these users are using AOL.

I know that we're on the same side here HibeeBoy. I still remember some of your older posts.   :D  
It's just that I can't help with IE, honest. I don't use it any more, even on my Win2k machine. Hell, now that I think of it I don't use that bloody Win2k partition either.   :rolleyes:  

As for your problem, I understand perfectly. I know that you're not a magician or anything. If you were you could propably swing you magic wand and switch everyone to Linux. The truth is much more painful however. I realize that it's a real pain in the ass to convince anyone to use anything other than IE, let alone windows. I insist though, that we have to talk to people every now and then about the benefits of open source and free software.   ;)