Author Topic: Is it possible to delete IE6 so i can install IE5.5?  (Read 650 times)

Dai_Maxwell

• Kudos: 0
I'll cut to the chase:  As much as I hate MS, I still use the os.  Last week, I blew my top over continuing Iexplore and Explorer errors, and deleted all the files that I could.  No big deal, I thought, I would use Netscape or another browser.  Well, Netscape will install but it won't register.  Same for Mozilla.  Anyways, I installed IE6 so I could at least have a browser.  Now, some of the sites I got to, like http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/forum/ I can't see the subject fields.  I'd like to delete IE6 so I could try to re-install 5.5 and see if that makes any difference, but like Direct X 8, you apparantly can't uninstall the piece of *^*^!  I don't want to have to delete Windows and reinstall, but if that's the only way, so be it.

I know, I know, the best solution is to totally get rid of MS completely but I'm just not ready to deal with the stress of relearning how to do everything all over again like learning how to us Linux would be.  Maybe later this year when I have more time to dedicate to it, but I can't do it now.

Can I get some help here?

Dai

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Is it possible to delete IE6 so i can install IE5.5?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2002, 06:46 »
I'm not trying to not help you but have you tried asking your question on www.windowsbbs.com?

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Dai_Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2002, 07:43 »
No,to be honest, I didn't know it existed.  I thought though that maybe I would get a better answer on how to delete the necessary files from those who hate MS rather than those who love it   :D  

Dai

Dai_Maxwell

« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2002, 07:45 »
LOL!  I just checked the site and I can't see the subject lines... I was seeing them until I reinstalled IE6 yesterday so I could try uninstalling it.

Dai

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2002, 08:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dai:
No,to be honest, I didn't know it existed.  I thought though that maybe I would get a better answer on how to delete the necessary files from those who hate MS rather than those who love it    :D  

Dai

But what you have to understand is that we don't "want" to help people fix their Microsoft products. We want them to get rid of their Microsoft products and get something else.  

I've been helping people fix their Microsoft products for many years and frankly am tired of it.  That's why I am here.  To help people with other operating systems and software, ones that work, and ones that don't spy on you, and ones that do not come from a greed factory.  So, I am sorry that I can't help you other than to point you to a place that appears to like to help people with Microsoft problems.

Again, not trying to offend you, just trying to follow the theme of this site.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2002, 21:15 »
Answer: No.

Use Opera
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2002, 21:34 »
Oooh it pains me so much to be doing tech support for interner explorer of all programs but here goes...

Download
IEradicator and run it to remove IE6 (hiss).

Then download IE5.5 from the M$ website and install it.

Simple, but dont ask me a windows question again my M$ user tolerance juice is running low  
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Dai_Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2002, 07:43 »
Thanks for the link to Ierdicator.  I went ahead and deltreed Windows and reinstalled it earlier and all seems to be working fine now.  I am going to pursue learning about alternatives to it though, especially since I have a second box that's just sitting around unused.

I'll continue to read the forums here and glean what I can from other's posts.

Dai