Author Topic: My friends are lamers  (Read 1538 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My friends are lamers
« Reply #15 on: 3 June 2002, 23:06 »
haw haw haw! you should tell them all that it's all just command line stuff and that's why it's so stable and fast and so on, and that's why you can write a lot of CDs with no errors and rip CDs, and do really good design, and so on and never have a crash, and you can't get hacked into even with the latest superdupermacrocon.exe program!!!! (and so on and so forth)...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ctrl Alt Del 123

• Kudos: 0
My friends are lamers
« Reply #16 on: 4 June 2002, 02:32 »
I love it when people call me a nerd or some kind of name because I like computers so much. What I tell them back is:

"Be nice to the nerds. You'll work for them one day."

They might try to respond, but all you have to tell them is this:

"Name me one thing you have that has not been directly or indirectly involved with a computer? And, who do you go crying to when yours breaks down and you can't do your English report?"

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My friends are lamers
« Reply #17 on: 4 June 2002, 03:13 »
uh huh? so you get a lot of practice at being called a nerd then do you?  ;)

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
My friends are lamers
« Reply #18 on: 4 June 2002, 03:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:
how many CPU's can Linux handle.... about 32... Can you install Linux on a Cray?YES!
Maybe in Teletubby Land. And what the hell is a cray?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
My friends are lamers
« Reply #19 on: 4 June 2002, 03:18 »
What's a cray... ROFLMAO!

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Heru

My friends are lamers
« Reply #20 on: 4 June 2002, 03:38 »
A cray is an extremely powerful super computer.  It is often used to plot weather patterns and astronomical events.  It was also used in 1983 to make the very first digitally animated film scenes(ever) in "2010: The Year we Make Contact".

Windows would have a heart attack on it, while Linux works micely.  Back in the 80's they used Unix, obviously.

Ctrl Alt Del 123

My friends are lamers
« Reply #21 on: 4 June 2002, 08:11 »
"uh huh? so you get a lot of practice at being called a nerd then do you?"

Hell yea, my school presentation of "The Personal Computer Revolution" and my entire section DEDICATED to unix made some people think I was a hacker.

Don't underestimate stupid people, they might do something dumb. - Me.

Chooco

My friends are lamers
« Reply #22 on: 4 June 2002, 10:43 »
actually if people listened to the entire story of Linux they would switch over in a second. KDE is just like Windows. if you can use Windows, you can use KDE. the console is a lot like DOS, if you liked DOS then you will love Linux (i liked DOS a LOT   ). you can run almost any windows program in Linux, my friend and i can both run Half-Life, Unreal Tournament and Sim City through Wine. if you go to console and tye "xinit" you get the GUI ability of well a GUI lol but the speed of console.

hey what about BSD? have you ever suggested BSD to a friend? i'm not sure if i want to try that or not, can BSD run KDE? does it have the same commands?

Heru

My friends are lamers
« Reply #23 on: 4 June 2002, 11:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:

hey what about BSD? have you ever suggested BSD to a friend? i'm not sure if i want to try that or not, can BSD run KDE? does it have the same commands?

If by BSD you mean FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD, then it is very similar to Linux.  The BSD's I listed are free and open source, but not under the GPL, they have a more relaxed license to them.  Many Linux programs are also available for them and they run many GNU programs just like Linux.  The three BSD's above can run many Linux programs natively without modification(some programs just won't work).  KDE is available and is included with the three.  Most of the commands are identicle seeing as both BSD and Linux are POSIX compatible.  The BSD's are harder to install but easy to maintain, and have lower system requirements such as being able to run in 5 megs of ram with 16megs recomended.  The BSD's are generally not for desktop use but can do the job nicely.  FreeBSD is even used by Microsoft, although they won't admit it.  The BSD's don't support as much hardware or as many filesystems though, but they will run on most PC's nicely.

I suggest you try FreeBSD.  But be careful when installing it, it is possible to fuck up your other OS's and it won't stop you.  And some things are named differently in /dev then in Linux:  I will list the Linux version then the BSD version:

/dev/hda1 = /dev/ad0s1a
/dev/hdb1 = /dev/ad1s1a

Hope that helps.

ravuya

• VIP
My friends are lamers
« Reply #24 on: 6 June 2002, 04:00 »
I've noticed that BSD feels more 'solid' than Linux. Linux feels like it was slopped together by a bunch of guys who didn't know each other and didn't communicate about bugs and probable issues.

BSD feels more solid, feels like everything is integrated all in one tight core. Maybe that's because the *BSD development teams are usually one centralized group who have to approve everything before it hits the final releases.

If I was using an x86, I'd prefer BSD for my kernel, though Linux is increasingly popular on the desktop. I'll have to wait and see if Linux becomes a little bit more tightly integrated and solid before I try to pick it up again.

Heru

My friends are lamers
« Reply #25 on: 6 June 2002, 04:16 »
If you like BSD better than use it.
That's the beauty of open source; binary compatibility is possible.  With the BSD's you can run Linux software if Linux binary compatibility is enabled.

Personaly for the desktop(out of BSD or Linux), I prefer Linux.  But I have found out that FreeBSD is generally better for servers than Linux.

Linux isn't just slopped together.  Most distros are managed by a company, and everything is usually carefully chosen and bugs are generally few.  The only slopped together thing in Linux is developers kernels(2.5.x right now), and that's because they are under heavy developement; with a stable kernel it has been approved by Linus and the other kernel mantainers.

While it can be said that BSD developement is more organized, that doesn't always make a better OS.

But overall, it is personal choice.

voidmain

• VIP
My friends are lamers
« Reply #26 on: 6 June 2002, 07:42 »
Well the *real* beauty of open source is that you don't *need* binary compatibility. You've got the source. "make;make install". And I like and use both BSD and Linux. I use Linux mostly though on both server and desktop.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
My friends are lamers
« Reply #27 on: 6 June 2002, 14:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
Well the *real* beauty of open source is that you don't *need* binary compatibility. You've got the source. "make;make install". And I like and use both BSD and Linux. I use Linux mostly though on both server and desktop.

unfortunately, may of the more crucial and advanced utilities are closed source, and this is the way it will likely stay. Especially in the fields of design, art, photography and music manipulation.  :(

Heru

My friends are lamers
« Reply #28 on: 6 June 2002, 16:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

unfortunately, may of the more crucial and advanced utilities are closed source, and this is the way it will likely stay. Especially in the fields of design, art, photography and music manipulation.   :(  

And hence the reason why binary compatibility is so useful.

I don't think it will stay that way forever.  I forsee a future in which all software is open source, but that wil take quite a long time.

voidmain

• VIP
My friends are lamers
« Reply #29 on: 6 June 2002, 19:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

unfortunately, may of the more crucial and advanced utilities are closed source, and this is the way it will likely stay. Especially in the fields of design, art, photography and music manipulation.   :(  

Maybe for you. In my line of work, the open source stuff kicks all closed source apps ass. But we are obviously in different lines of work.