Author Topic: cable modem data light...  (Read 594 times)

Tux

• Kudos: 0
cable modem data light...
« on: 8 March 2002, 16:02 »
i just got my new g4 a few days ago  and im lovin osX. but anyway ive noticed that when my pc with windowsME on is turned off the data light on the cable modem is flashing constantly and the pc light is on as if the computer was turned on...but when i have the same modem hooked to my mac and its turned off the data light never flashes and the pc light is also off. im woundering if it would be possible for m$ to be sending data when my pc os off? i dunno just thought i would see what everyone thinks...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 8 March 2002, 20:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
i just got my new g4 a few days ago     and im lovin osX. but anyway ive noticed that when my pc with windowsME on is turned off the data light on the cable modem is flashing constantly and the pc light is on as if the computer was turned on...but when i have the same modem hooked to my mac and its turned off the data light never flashes and the pc light is also off. im woundering if it would be possible for m$ to be sending data when my pc os off? i dunno just thought i would see what everyone thinks...

I wouldent put it beyond them.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

MxCl

• http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/mxcl/
« Reply #2 on: 8 March 2002, 21:34 »
Maybe Windows is flashing morse code at you that is subliminally attempting to persuade you to upgrade to XP ..and burn the Mac?

I also wouldn't put this beyond them.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 9 March 2002, 05:39 »
You're PC card probably has "wake on LAN" capability, in which case the card needs to maintain power and listen to the network.  And since your cable modem is on a "shared" network as opposed to a "switched" network it has to listen to all the other chatter going on on your segment.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

dbl221

« Reply #4 on: 9 March 2002, 05:53 »
This is caused by the following section of code from Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.....Oh I forgot we don't have access to ANY M$ code....well I guess you can just guess the problem.  
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded