Author Topic: why  (Read 718 times)

Matt

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.geocities.com/master_matto
why
« on: 23 December 2001, 08:10 »
Why is it that microshit never learn or get any better?. Im just a kid who spent my christmas money on XP, all

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
why
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2001, 21:31 »
quote:
Why do i feel like ive just wasted my christmas money on this bundle of shit.

I'm truly sorry you got burned for that L180. That's a lot for a "kid". Is there *any* way you can return the piece of shit for a refund?

As to why Macro$uck does things like this, well, they do it because they can. They've been selling technologically inferior crap since day one. That's where the real talent lies: not in technology, but in marketing. Since the vast majority of the general public is none too tech-savvy, M$ can easily con them into believing whatever suits them. That it's "normal" for computer systems to crash at least once a day. (Well it isn't, and we could do better back in the 1970s!) They can convince an atechnological public that bugs are "undocumented features", that security holes big enough to drive a Mack truck (i.e. very large lorry) through are the fault of "hackers". Yada, yada, yada. You also need to remember that Macro$uck is a very large corporation, and, as the saying goes, "Noone ever got fired for buying Microsoft". So where is the incentive for improvement? It's been six years since Windows 95 came out, and they *still* can't get it right!

If you can scrape together a few more quid, check out  Linux Central and order Mandrake Linux: $5.95(US) + shipping. Linux Central doesn't provide any documentation, however you can get all the documentation from: Mandrake Linux or Mandrake Soft. There is no charge for downloading the manuals. What you want are: _Mandrake Linux: Installation and User Guide_ and _Mandrake Linux: Reference Manual_. If you have any questions, this site has *lots* of Linux geeks who'll be happy to help out. Free yourself of all things Macro$uck and consider it payback to His Gatesness.     Perhaps, then, you'll feel better.    :D  

Live Free or Die: UNIX

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Matt

why
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2001, 13:15 »
Hi, thanks for replying. Well I've been interested in computers for a while. My first computer was a Win95. It stopped working after about 3 months, with some Registry & Acrodos problem I think. My next computer I got 3 years later was running Win98SE. The whole thing would "reset" when IExplorer would crash. Along with that, there is some sort of dodgy internet settings with Win98SE computers in the UK, which makes you get disconnected every two hours. This was nothing to do ISP's or the modem, as my friends all used a variety of different modems and ISP's, and they still got cut off every two hours. So downloading anything that was over 20MB was useless.

Then I found this site, and after reading through all the emails I finally understood what this Webmaster was rambling on about everytime to nearly every other email that was supporting Windows.

So ok, I admit it, I went to the dark side and bought WindowsXP...just thinking that after all my bad previous experiences with windows, that may be this was the OS that ive been waiting for.

How bloody wrong I was...lol.

Matt.
http://talkmobile.netfirms.com
Talk Mobile UK Discussion Forums
- Mobile Phone Discussion + Chat!

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
why
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2001, 11:19 »
quote:
Along with that, there is some sort of dodgy internet
         settings with Win98SE computers in the UK, which makes you get disconnected every two hours.

This problem wasn't unique to the UK as I had the *same* problem here in the 'States. I could never figure that out either. Just another stupid Windows trick. Since His Gatesness knows what's best for you than you do, perhaps he figured that two hours on the 'Net was enough for anyone?

Live Free or Die: UNIX

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Matt

why
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2001, 13:36 »
Unfortunately I cant take back XP...although I've been told to invest in a new modem by Microshit cos apparently my current modem is supported.

Anyway, I have a screen shot to show you...its probably very simple to explain, but how can i possibly delete the 3 items from the recycle bin if I dont even know what they are?

Heres the screen shot I took a moment ago on XP:

or if that doesnt work, just click here http://mattoleary.netfirms.com/ScreenS1.jpg

Hopefully someone can explain to me what its all about.

And as for the 2 hour thing, I did think it was a UK thing, buit obviously it was a bigger f*ck up than I thought it was.

Matt.

[ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: Matt Oleary ]

Matt

why
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2001, 13:40 »
Sorry, I meant my modem is NOT supported with XP. Is there any way to edit my own messages on here?

Matt.

gump420

why
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2001, 01:33 »
That screen shot is pretty hillarious! Check your folder settings to see if Winblows XPee is displaying every file, though.

To edit a message that you posted click on the icon of paper and a pencil above your post.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
why
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2001, 23:14 »
Hey Matt,

The connection problem can be fixed by going into IE then chooae Tools from the menu. Choose Internet Options. Choose the connection tab and choose settings then choose the advanced button. There you can turn off auto-disconnect.

As far the recycle bin not showing files. That is because those files are hidden or system files. To make them show go into windows explorer. Choose tools then folder options. Now click the view tab and choose show all files. Then click the button at that says "Like Current Folder". That should do it but you may need to repeat the process again to get it to stay. I have found Windows does not like to show all files. So sometimes you have to repeat the process.

Also if your modem was supported by 98 then you can download drivers from the modem manufacturers site to get it to run under xp.

Anyway I hope that helps some.

Later
Centurian
Later
Centurian