Author Topic: How Apple+Mac is better than Windows+Intel  (Read 3108 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
How Apple+Mac is better than Windows+Intel
« Reply #90 on: 20 October 2002, 23:49 »
i am glad we could be of help. And i'm even more happy that you have decided on a mac. I promise, you will not be dissapointed.

quote:
Originally posted by arya: a question i forgot to ask  . is mac good enough to to be used in a lab of ten networked computer  . and who has got better application support from industry Mac or Windows for multimedia development.

Mac osX jaguar makes it very easy to network with windows machines, immediately after installing jaguar i was able to mount my windows shares to the mac desktop, and on window i was able to "map" the mac local drive to the windows desktop. Easy.
As for application support, im not entirely sure what you mean, but the majority of graphic designers and digital media enthusiasts use a mac, so finding support will be no problem, and you will deffinetely be supported by Adobe, Macromedia, Etc...
I have also found this forum to be one of the better sources of information, because if someone doesnt have an answer (and they usually do), they know where to send you. okay, enough ass-kissing.

ecsyle_one

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #91 on: 21 October 2002, 00:19 »
Yes, a Mac is built for digital media! You will not bes disapointed   :D  

There is a reason Photoshop and all the other graphics program were practically invented on Macintosh, it's because it is the only computer with such tight integration between OS, software, and hardware. It is designed around graphics.

Deffinetly, MacOS is the way to go if your into multi-media and graphic design.

EDIT: BTW, let us know when you get your Mac  :D  us MacAddict's round here love hearing convert reactions and all.

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #92 on: 21 October 2002, 00:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by xyle_one:
[in reffrence to buying Mac's with other OS's] to be perfectly honest and fair, you cant. same bullshit, apple bundleing their os with hardware. There should be a choice. personally, i wouldnt by an apple computer with no macOS. if i wanted to run linux, id run it on an x86. but i think that argument can get all turned around by windows fans. I would however, love to by a g4 case for my dual athlon system.

Actually folks, you CAN buy Mac's with alternate operating systems!!!! YES!!!

Not from Apple tho...

Go to http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

and you can buy a variety of Mac's pre-installed with linux    :D  

So, that's one over windoze OEM's ay    ;)

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #93 on: 21 October 2002, 00:48 »
quote:
originally posted by psyjax: Actually folks, you CAN buy Mac's with alternate operating systems!!!! YES!!! Not from Apple tho...

Go to http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

and you can buy a variety of Mac's pre-installed with linux

So, that's one over windoze OEM's ay  

Sweet, forget what I had said before.      ;)

MacUser3of5

• Kudos: 0
    • http://notquiteyet.com
« Reply #94 on: 21 October 2002, 01:46 »
Hmm, I've used both a windows machine and a macintosh when I was in design school (I was doing Illustrator work on my 486... and this was three years ago!!), both are equally capable when it comes down to it (OS 9/X won't give you magical design powers), especially considering the proliferation of web design as a medium... printing is the only real plus for the mac here compared to windows (albiet a minor one, and much better in XP), as it is a bit easier to set up color calibrations within the OS itself.

The PPC certainly isn't faster than the x86 right now, and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise... (by the way, avoid RC5 or Apple's Gaussian Blur tests, or I will simply laugh at you.) Yes, surprise, some people do need as much speed as they can get, I've render stuff in Truespace on said 486, and waiting for a screen was a pain in the ass.

Advantages? Hardware + Software integration. The combination works really well, and it gets rid of the awkwardness that I had always experienced using stock x86 pcs with an OS... they just don't jive like the Mac does, and yeah, that's something I notice and care about. I'm pretty anal-retentive about these things.      

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: MacUser3of5 ]

"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #95 on: 21 October 2002, 02:20 »
Dude, Im sorry, I have to say the bigest advantage on the Mac side is the freakin OS. The computer's entire design works with the creative profesional in mind. As someone mentioned earlyer, the whole layout and MO of windows is counterproductive.

I work on Windows Machines and Mac's regularly, and I must say that working in PS7 is a dream on a Mac, where as on a PC it's a plodding nightmare.

YaY! The gaussian blur's prove.... that gausian blurs are faster on the PC?

WTF? Who cares, in the end, your overal productivity is improved on a Mac, I think most Mac users would agree.

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #96 on: 21 October 2002, 02:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

WTF? Who cares, in the end, your overal productivity is improved on a Mac, I think most Mac users would agree.

I definitely agreed to that! Well said psyjax  

MacUser3of5

« Reply #97 on: 21 October 2002, 02:46 »
quote:
YaY! The gaussian blur's prove.... that gausian blurs are faster on the PC?

That wasn't directed at you psyjax, it was directed at the mindless drones who claim the ppc is faster... duh.   ;)   Also, if multimedia development means rendering video stills, things that will tax processor/ram/io, etc... time is not an ally, nor is waiting for the machine. Sorry, but the x86 is beating the PPC right now. For graphic design, speed is a lesser point to argue, and for mostly political reasons, a mac is generally a better deal (less cross-platform bitching from print houses, generally less hassles, because some print houses are still running older software that does play as 'nice').

Yes, I am more productive on my Mac, relax... sheesh... I had to go for a moment, and was unable to write a long-winded dissertation on the usability benefits I experience under the single menu bar paradigm, or the more useful placement of keyboard shortcuts.  I apoligize if I offended you.   :rolleyes:  

quote:
 Dude, Im sorry, I have to say the bigest advantage on the Mac side is the freakin OS. The computer's entire design works with the creative profesional in mind.

No offense, but this is a poor argument. I've seen total shit designers use a Mac, I've seen total shit designers use Windows. I've seen amazing designers work on Windows, and I have seen amazing design being done on a Mac. Not every creative professional is built the same you know.

Don't confuse the OS with the person who is using it.

"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #98 on: 21 October 2002, 03:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by MacUser3of5:

No offense, but this is a poor argument. I've seen total shit designers use a Mac, I've seen total shit designers use Windows. I've seen amazing designers work on Windows, and I have seen amazing design being done on a Mac. Not every creative professional is built the same you know.

Don't confuse the OS with the person who is using it.

Anyone can learn to work anywhere. That dosn't mean that where they are working is necissarly the best place to work.

MacUser3of5

« Reply #99 on: 21 October 2002, 03:10 »
quote:
Anyone can learn to work anywhere. That dosn't mean that where they are working is necissarly the best place to work.

This is true, and sorta my point. I know people who are more comfortable with Windows than OS X, and vice versa. Forcing one solution above all esle on someone doesn't allow for much happiness. I suggest a mixed environment for most production peeps : A dumb renderer/server (I recommend x86, it's cheaper and faster) a few wintels for those who like them, and a few macs for those who like them too. All in all, everyone is happy, and it works well too... I can attest to that.

I will say this: Everyone should at least try OS X for an extended time if they have an interest. Or just buy an iBook or something...  ;)

Pantso

« Reply #100 on: 21 October 2002, 03:27 »
I've said it more than once and I will keep saying it: I don't care if Intel's processors are, for the time being, faster than PPC processors. I really don't give a s**t if they are or not! All I know is that I can do my work faster and more efficiently in my cramped up iBook, than I could with my spacious HP Omnibook. Furthermore, NOTHING CRASHES in OS X. I have yet to see a application crash, let alone the Operating System itself! So, judging by these criteria, all I can say is that all those G(M)Hz zealots can suck my balls for all I care (that does of course apply to Windows users and not Linux ones)
  :D

MacUser3of5

« Reply #101 on: 21 October 2002, 03:40 »
You != Everyone. Your needs do not reflect a lot of media professionals that I know personally who need fast machines. This isn't about Ghz, it's about performance. Right now, bang-for-buck, Dual 1.25 Ghz machines are not gonna cut it for a lot of people.

Also, OS X has crashed on my a few times. This is 10.1.5, so I cannot speak for Jaguar*. It isn't bulletproof, but it is quite stable.

*Which, if according to Apple's new K-12 offer (Jag == free for teachers), will arrive at my friend's (a teacher) school in a week or so... and then it will make a permanent home on my TiBook...  ;)   :D

Pantso

« Reply #102 on: 21 October 2002, 03:50 »
Me=!Me  :D  

As I most clearly wrote in my post, I am talking about myself, hence those opinions above reflect my own. Now, I'm not a media professional or anything of the sort, so I wouldn't know how media professionals feel about Apple computers. However I happen to know a lot of graphic artists, web designers etc who would use nothing else but their Mac.   ;)

MacUser3of5

« Reply #103 on: 21 October 2002, 05:01 »
That 'You != Everyone' comment was just playful jabbing.

It's too bad for Apple though, they have brand loyalty from long-time customers, but aren't doing much of anything to woo in 'the new breed' of designers I see in college classes...