Author Topic: Microsoft Brings Web Services and Bluetooth to Cars Worldwide  (Read 1333 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Leading Telematics Software Platform, Windows Automotive, Launches Amid Global Partner Support With New Features to Enable a Safe Connected In-Car Experience

REDMOND, Wash. -- April 28, 2003 -- Do consumers want hands-free communication, real-time traffic updates and turn-by-turn directions in the car? According to a recent survey, three out of five consumers are on board.* Responding to industry needs, Microsoft Corp. today announced the availability of its fifth-version software platform for automotive suppliers and manufacturers, Windows

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Microsoft Brings Web Services and Bluetooth to Cars Worldwide
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2003, 23:41 »
Hasn't this story already been aroud a while?
Maybe I dreamt it...
Contains scenes of mild peril.

theangelofdeath69

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2003, 00:47 »
Oh my god, no.  There is NO WAY I would accept directions from an OS so stupid, it doesn't even understand mine.
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2003, 01:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Angel Of Death BETA 2.0:
Oh my god, no.  There is NO WAY I would accept directions from an OS so stupid, it doesn't even understand mine.

That doesn't particularly make sense. Since you say Windows is so stupid it couldn't understand OSX or Linux, I must assume you think an operating system should have some sort of A.I. Whereas OSX, Linux, or Windows would understand each other about as much as they can understand a tuna sandwich.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2003, 01:45 »
Yay! Now cars will crash two times a day!

Sweet!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2003, 21:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:

That doesn't particularly make sense. Since you say Windows is so stupid it couldn't understand OSX or Linux, I must assume you think an operating system should have some sort of A.I. Whereas OSX, Linux, or Windows would understand each other about as much as they can understand a tuna sandwich.

um.. what he meant ( i think) was he would not take directions from a computer that is so stupid it cant understand his directions,like commanding windows to open a window, and instead, it crashes and restarts.
 i wouldn't trust it either.

quote:

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2003, 10:57 »
He's right, that is what I meant...

And twice is being kind of optimistic, right?
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

TB

« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2003, 21:41 »
So I guess this means we're another step closer to the BWOD (Blue Windshield of Death)???

I think I'll stick to my '88 Mitsubishi.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Car just as reliable as there operating system. Won't that be . . . wait a minute, never mind.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
quote:
REDMOND, Wash. -- April 28, 2003 -- Do consumers want hands-free communication, real-time traffic updates and turn-by-turn directions in the car? According to a recent survey, three out of five consumers are on board.* Responding to industry needs, Microsoft Corp. today announced the availability of its fifth-version software platform for automotive suppliers and manufacturers, Windows
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
I thought that Microsoft would at least go over every inch of the CE kernel before they put it into a car. Maybe they didn't. Anyone ever hear of the problems that BMW 745is have? Auto trunk that won't shut, different radio stations coming on when they shouldn't at FULL VOLUME, the car downshifting to 1st gear on the highway. Y'know, little shit like that that can get someone killed...and if the CE kernel controlling most of the 745i's functions doesn't kill someone, the iDrive interface will. Imagine using a force feedback joystick/wheel hybrid to control the car's AC, radio, and various other functions while you're driving. And they wonder why they see this little 86 MR2 speeding away from them.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
quote:
Originally posted by MisteR2:
I thought that Microsoft would at least go over every inch of the CE kernel before they put it into a car.

what????????????????
why the fuck did you think that?

and this product will go ahead no matter how many people it kills. for some reason microsoft are god to those who have money and death will not change that.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

We WANT "turn by turn" directions?  A computer telling you "left here, right here" every single second doesn't strike anyone else as quite possibly the most insanely annoying thing ever conceived???

quote:
Windows
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

Thank god for the public transportation system.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

TheKnifeThrower

They will start off with giving people directions. Then they will use the computers to actually drive the car for the person.