Author Topic: Unbelievable...  (Read 571 times)

feetpete

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.feetmedia.co.uk
Unbelievable...
« on: 6 December 2003, 01:17 »
Why is it that there are people who ask us why we're still using Windows if we keep bitching about it?

The answer has been mentioned too many times in the forum already, but to re-iterate, it's because a great deal of software I require for my work only runs on Windows (is too processor-intensive to run via Wine) and I'm not a programmer, nor do I have the cash to purchase a Mac which is the only other place I can get the required software.

Just because I am forced to use Windows doesn't mean I want to be, nor that I should be, an M$ groupie and sing the praises of a shoddy OS that's not stable or secure enough to protect my data from loss or interception by unauthorised persons (and I hereby do NOT give Microsoft any rights whatsoever to my data and any attempts to do so whether stated in any .NET ToU or otherwise will be met with severe repercussions, including postings of such evidence on the net, on MSN and anywhere else that might publicly harm Microsoft).
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty
IT Technician: Glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Unbelievable...
« Reply #1 on: 6 December 2003, 23:32 »
Some games don't run on Linux, so I have to play it on Linux. And I do C# .NET programming at school. The Ximian Mono C# compiler just isn't good enough yet to replace Visual Studio.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Unbelievable...
« Reply #2 on: 7 December 2003, 05:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Some games don't run on Linux, so I have to play it on Linux. And I do C# .NET programming at school. The Ximian Mono C# compiler just isn't good enough yet to replace Visual Studio.

Who the fuck cares about C# and .NOT??? They're nothing more than proprietary ripoffs of C/C++ and Java just so M$ can claim more "innovation".

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Unbelievable...
« Reply #3 on: 7 December 2003, 08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Feet Pete:
Why is it that there are people who ask us why we're still using Windows if we keep bitching about it?

The answer has been mentioned too many times in the forum already, but to re-iterate, it's because a great deal of software I require for my work only runs on Windows (is too processor-intensive to run via Wine) and I'm not a programmer, nor do I have the cash to purchase a Mac which is the only other place I can get the required software.

Just because I am forced to use Windows doesn't mean I want to be, nor that I should be, an M$ groupie and sing the praises of a shoddy OS that's not stable or secure enough to protect my data from loss or interception by unauthorised persons (and I hereby do NOT give Microsoft any rights whatsoever to my data and any attempts to do so whether stated in any .NET ToU or otherwise will be met with severe repercussions, including postings of such evidence on the net, on MSN and anywhere else that might publicly harm Microsoft).

What are the apps??

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Unbelievable...
« Reply #4 on: 7 December 2003, 16:39 »
quote:
xeen: Who the fuck cares about C# and .NOT??? They're nothing more than proprietary ripoffs of C/C++ and Java just so M$ can claim more "innovation".

Indeed. Microsoft tried to combine all the programming languages into the best language ever. They failed. C# is fun for calculators, game trainers, or even small P2P programs. But I think it's too damn slow and bloated for more serious programs.

feetpete

• http://www.feetmedia.co.uk
Unbelievable...
« Reply #5 on: 7 December 2003, 23:18 »
The apps I use at the moment are:

Lightwave 7.5b
Adobe Premiere 6.5
Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady 7
Reason 2
GoldWave 5 (though this can be replaced with another sound editing tool if need be)
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty
IT Technician: Glass is twice as big as it needs to be

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Unbelievable...
« Reply #6 on: 8 December 2003, 08:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

Indeed. Microsoft tried to combine all the programming languages into the best language ever. They failed. C# is fun for calculators, game trainers, or even small P2P programs. But I think it's too damn slow and bloated for more serious programs.

SO true.  A friend of mine made two copies of the same program, one in VB6 and the other in C#.  VB6 version fit on a floppydisk.  C#... 15meg.   :mad:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
Unbelievable...
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2003, 23:54 »
quote:

Maybe because you are too stupid to learn how to use Linux and how to setup programs that allow MS products to run in Linux?
  If your job forces you to use windows at work, thats another story. But if you still are using windows at home you are a wanna be idiot since you claim to hate windows and MS.

No further comments.
Yeah

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Unbelievable...
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2003, 04:13 »
oh, and
Go the fuck ~

emh

Unbelievable...
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2003, 01:31 »
quote:
The apps I use at the moment are:

Lightwave 7.5b

Don't know what this is, so I can't help you here.

quote:

Adobe Premiere 6.5

You might try Cinelerra.   The website also has links to other similar programs you can try.

quote:

Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady 7

This runs under Codeweavers Crossover Office if you don't mind paying $50 for it.

http://www.codeweavers.com

quote:

Reason 2

Don't know what this is.

quote:

GoldWave 5 (though this can be replaced with another sound editing tool if need be)

You can try looking here:
http://www.linux-sound.org/snded.html

My personal favorites are Audacity and Sweep.