Author Topic: Recycle bin Deleted!!!  (Read 1298 times)

FktheSoft

• Kudos: 0
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« on: 18 October 2002, 15:22 »
Hello everybody!

I'm new in the neighborhood, I found this site just the last week and I'm sure I can receive some help here. I use Win2000 and by accident I deleted the "recycle bin icon" from the desktop. Now I cannot put it back. I was not able to find the icon, nor the app in the HHD.
I have asked for help in the microsoft.com support but all they say is NOTHING.. no response.
I tried asking some people I know and work with computers but none of them knows.
MICROSOFT SUCKS and that's why I came here guys.

Could you give me a hand???  Thanks very much!

Doctor V

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2002, 15:40 »
Well, this may not be the answer you are looking for, but I think it will be of much more help to you than the answer that you are looking for.

You are right in saying the Microsoft sucks, and the windows you are running is what belongs in the recycling bin.  Since you cannot put it there, an alternative method of throwing it away would be formatting your entire hard drive.

Now its time to get a recycling bin again.  Get a copy of Linux.  Its free and can do whatever windows can, really.  You can download one from www.linuxiso.org.  There are many versions of linux.  For beginners, if you are one, try RedHat, SuSe, Lycrosis or Mandrake.  Look over the web pages of them and choose.  Download a Linux ISO image to CD (you might though have to do this step before formatting your hard drive if you don't have access to a different computer).  Newer versions of Linux quite easy to install.  Install it, boot it up, and now you have a nice little trashcan or recycling bin ready made for you.

Your problem solved and many more.

I really think you should consider seriously doing this.  You WILL be glad you did.    

V

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2002, 15:49 »
I agree with Doctor V. I don't know if there is really a way to restore that Recycle Bin or not but I can definitely point the way out from Windows. All you have to do is follow the link to linuxiso.org that Doctor V provided in his previous post and if you have cable or a fast Internet connection, the rest is history. On the other hand if you do not, you can order very cheap Linux CDs from the Web.

Do not be intimidated by Linux because it is now easier than ever to install and use for everyday tasks. I won't tell you to format your HD or anything like that, but if you are open minded enough, give Linux a try  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2002, 15:54 »
quote:
Hello everybody!
I'm new in the neighborhood, I found this site just the last week and I'm sure I can receive some help here. I use Win2000 and by accident I deleted the "recycle bin icon" from the desktop. Now I cannot put it back. I was not able to find the icon, nor the app in the HHD.
I have asked for help in the microsoft.com support but all they say is NOTHING.. no response.
I tried asking some people I know and work with computers but none of them knows.
MICROSOFT SUCKS and that's why I came here guys.

Could you give me a hand??? Thanks very much!

how did you do that?

welcome to the boards, i hope to see you posting here in future, but i must say that if you reckon that microsoft sucks, then why do you use windows 2000?

in windows, try right clicking something and see if you get the 'send to recycle bin' dialogue, then try and send it there...

if you really are desperate to keep using windows, maybe you should ask your question at www.windowsbbs.com

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

FktheSoft

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2002, 17:08 »
Hey guys, I'm back again!

Thanks a lot for your advices. I do use WIN2000 since I'm doing an internship somewhere and is not my computer. That's why I have to leave as it was before... sigh!.. perharps will be needed to reinstall all the win $it. The damn recycle bin is gone from the system I could say. I do not even receive the "send to recycle bin" option in any manu anemore.

Talking about Linux... well, for telling the truth is taht at home I have the XP version just coz I've been afraid of Linux. That's the truth.

I would dare to change at home if I know some extra details. I mostly use Photoshop, Flash, and all those nice things that help me to get prepare for the moment I have to work in a company. Most of my sw is not completely legal for saying in one way. That might be a "dark" practise or however you may call it BUT the thing is that I do not have 12000 USD that I may need to get the original and legal copies.
U understand that of course  ;) ... so, can I still use this software with Linux? will all the other MS crap still work? (word, powerpoint, excel) or do I have to get other sw as well?...

Thanks guys!

ps. I would get a mac IF there yould be the CASH!   :(  :(  :(  :(

Kid_Creation

• http://TheKidCreation.com
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2002, 18:07 »
What ever you do - Do not get a mac - yuck and yuck again....... I am using winxp and am goin to look into gettin linix today - ihear so many good things about it so here i go--------- Oh btw you can fix your problem by restoring your comp to and earlier date .... Just goto start scroll up to programs then to accessories then to system tools and click on system restore... I garentee that will work... just choose a date b4 you accidently deleted that bin.....
Good luck and Peace out......
The Kid Creation

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2002, 18:13 »
Get a Mac when you can afford it and believe me you won't look back! I got an iBook about a month ago and I must say I'm more than happy with it. OS X rules and whoever tells you otherwise is more or less ignorant. Plus the fact that you can install any Linux PPC distro on a Mac and use the MacOnLinux virual machine to run MacOS from inside Linux. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2002, 18:48 »
okay. a few things. firstly, in reply to X11, it sounds like you are saying that the three of us who responded are not being helpful. if you are saying that, then sorry, matey but all three of us gave sound advice.

now, to FKTheSoft:
do not be afraid of linux, but do read a lot about it first. do google searches for 'linux beginner' and so on, also you can dual boot, meaning you can still have your windows on your machine while you get used to linux.

i suggest you read this FAQ i wrote about a similar problem to yours. Then go and read the UNIX section of the FAQ since i think a lot of your questions will be answered there.

re: running your current software in linux, the short answer is no. the long answer is yes, but it's a pain in the arse. windows programs are usually closed cource binaries, and so they cannot realistically be run on another system although several emulators do exist which can sometimes do this. Cheerfully you will find that there are replacement programs for most of your favourite software in linux, some of the programs you use are available for linux themselves (like macromedia's flash plugin and realplayer 8, just off the top of my head), and best of all, most of the products are free or incredibly cheap.

MS Office = $500, Openoffice = free, and unlike microsoft office, openoffice can use file formats from microsoft office, Sun's staroffice and several other non microsoft formats too.

Frontpage and dreamweaver = $a few hundred each, Mozilla composer, Openoffice, quanta plus, bluefish etc are all free, and do the same job more or less.

i could go on, but why? basically, read some stuff, and stop being frightened... or don't! your choice, but i'll leave you with this though. what use is a system that needs to be reinstalled simply because of a little hitch like this, that most likely wasn't your fault in the first place?

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2002, 19:49 »
And about the $1200. One day soon, you will not be able to run any of those pirated Microsoft software packages (see Palladium). However, you will find equal or better applications in Linux, free and legal.

As far as your Windows question I do know the answer but will not answer it on this site. Since Microsoft will not help you out (normal without a credit card) then you might try http://www.windowsbbs.com/ where they probably won't be very helpful either. But they do try.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2002, 19:52 »
You should be able to recover your Recycle Bin by using TweakUI.

You can get TweakUI at
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

To recover your recycle bin just go to the desktop options in TweakUI and check the recycle bin icon(it will be unchecked right now).

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2002, 19:59 »
Get over the damn recycle bin! Do you realize what a n insult to your intelligence it is?

When I delete something, I want it deleted! If I made a mistake, too damn bad!!!!!!!!!!

The recycle bin does nothing but say that you are a retard, and maybe you don't know what you are doing so let's pretend like you got rid of something, and when you realize you are retarded, and actually needed what you thought you didn't need, you can make things all nice again!

I hate the trash can on the RH 8.0 desktop.

:mad:
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Zombie9920

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2002, 20:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by RudeCat7:
Get over the damn recycle bin! Do you realize what a n insult to your intelligence it is?

When I delete something, I want it deleted! If I made a mistake, too damn bad!!!!!!!!!!

The recycle bin does nothing but say that you are a retard, and maybe you don't know what you are doing so let's pretend like you got rid of something, and when you realize you are retarded, and actually needed what you thought you didn't need, you can make things all nice again!

:mad:  

Didn't the Trash Can/Recycle Bin first appear in MacOS? So are you saying that MacOS has been treating it's users like retards for a long time? ;P

I never use my recycle bin because when I delete files I hold Shit and press Delete so I permanently delete them. I don't even have the recycle bin on my desktop, I keep it in My Computer where I never have to see it(done via some registry modifying..I'm good at correctly modifying my registry. ;P) but it is there if there is ever a time that I actually have to use it.

Isn't it nifty? ;P

I think RC is just upset because somebody actually took thier time to help the guy with his problem.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2002, 20:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by RudeCat7:

So delete the "~/.gnome-desktop/Trash" file and the trashcan will be gone...

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2002, 20:53 »
quote:
Zombie9920: Isn't it nifty? ;P

"Norton Protected Recycle Bin"?

Zombie9920

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2002, 21:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

"Norton Protected Recycle Bin"?

Yeah, that is a feature of NAV2003. It protects everything including popular IM apps(MSN/Windows Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and AIM), E-Mail apps, Windows system files, the recycle bin, etc.

I guess it makes sure that you don't put viruses in your Recycle Bin(heck I don't know). ;P