Author Topic: Recycle bin Deleted!!!  (Read 1301 times)

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2002, 21:07 »
I don't care about the origins of it, it's retarded!

VM: Thx, but I use KDE, I will figure out how to remove it though.

I'm getting old, and tired, and cranky, I don't even feel like responding to windoid morons anymore. I just want to figure out this linux shit.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2002, 21:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by RudeCat7:
I don't care about the origins of it, it's retarded!

VM: Thx, but I use KDE, I will figure out how to remove it though.

I'm getting old, and tired, and cranky, I don't even feel like responding to windoid morons anymore. I just want to figure out this linux shit.

You can probably delete the "~/Desktop/Trash" directory and you might have to edit the "~/Desktop/.directory" file and remove the Trash section.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2002, 21:11 »
I hate that Norton bin. It saves everything!

I've got a wallpaper randomizer that deletes a temp file on C and replaces it with whatever new wallpaper it chooses, and so there's about 500 WallRandom.bmp in that Norton protected Bin. Drives me nuts.

RudeCat7

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2002, 21:14 »
It's gone! Joy!  :D

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #19 on: 18 October 2002, 21:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
I hate that Norton bin. It saves everything!

I've got a wallpaper randomizer that deletes a temp file on C and replaces it with whatever new wallpaper it chooses, and so there's about 500 WallRandom.bmp in that Norton protected Bin. Drives me nuts.

Ahh, IC. It is like a undelete tool. I just looked at my Norton protected R-Bin files and it has a record of 2,834 files(most of them are temporary files that should be gone). I don't like that shit either...it looks like it is time to empty the Norton Protected files.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2002, 21:20 »
quote:
It's gone! Joy!    :D  

Actually if you deleted it like I said, it will come back. I found it's built in to KDE. Click on Control Center, Look and Feel, Desktop, Paths tab. You will see where you can select the path for the KDE trash can which by default will be on your desktop. You can change the path to something other than your desktop and it will be gone for good (probably "/home/user/Trash" would be a good location).

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2002, 21:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
You should be able to recover your Recycle Bin by using TweakUI.

You can get TweakUI at
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

To recover your recycle bin just go to the desktop options in TweakUI and check the recycle bin icon(it will be unchecked right now).

he doesn't need to download some app just to fix his recycle bin problem, and honestly, that was a mean trick, telling him to get tweakUI. I installed it when i was more naive and i learned the hard way how much wrong registry editing that app does...
well no more. i use mandrake 9.0 now...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2002, 21:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

he doesn't need to download some app just to fix his recycle bin problem, and honestly, that was a mean trick, telling him to get tweakUI. I installed it when i was more naive and i learned the hard way how much wrong registry editing that app does...
well no more. i use mandrake 9.0 now...

Sadly, it is what he needs to recover his recycle bin. As long as he don't fuck with any other Windows settings in TweakUI he should be fine.

RudeCat7

Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #23 on: 18 October 2002, 21:46 »
Actually, I was really pissed, so I:

did a: rm -r /desktop/Trash.

and then I could delete it from my home desktop.

I already rebooted, and it's goooooone!  :D

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2002, 23:00 »
Zombie8797 I thought the recycling bin was stupid too, not because it functions like apple's trash can, but because it is a Recycling bin! As in re-use.

Why the fuck are you dumping files you want deleted into a directory that says essentially it will put them back to use at a latter time? Thus, the trashcan is a better desktop metaphor  :D

But I guess that's just personal opinon.

As for FkTheSoft: don't listen to the anti-Mac crowd. They usually don't have any long term experience with Mac's, or have only experienced older more unstable systems in the past. Just as a note, I can easely relate to Zombies4848 trials with the first gen iMac he once owned.

If you have the cash go for a Mac. They are stable, easy to use, and will never EVER give you any problems. They are based on the same rock-solid UNIX core that Linux is based on, meaning that you do not only benefit from having a top-end GUI with plenty of main-stream software like Photoshop among others, but you also gain access to a vast library of Free UNIX software, not to mention free Darwin software (the name used for the type of UNIX run under OS X)

OSX on a Mac is the best user experience there is. Someone once said on these forums, that Quality is long remembered after price. And the truth is Mac users don't upgrade their computers as often as PC users, I have seen more PC's in garbagebins than old Mac's. They are excellent, truely PERSONAL computers.

Oh ya, allways buy 3rd party RAM lest apple shafts you with that price  ;)

(NOTE: PC's here refferes to Wintel boxes, all bets are off when it comes to Linux based comps.)
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2002, 23:19 »
well, you know as i said, linux has the bonus that A) you can dual boot it with you existing windows system and B) it's free.

Not slagging macs, but if you don't have the cash, then you know, you have to take that into consideration.

oh yes, and re: recycle bin, i wondered that too, but i decided it means you recycle the disk space once the stuff's been deleted.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #26 on: 18 October 2002, 23:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
Not slagging macs, but if you don't have the cash, then you know, you have to take that into consideration.

try www.smalldog.com they have some pretty competative pricing. Compare this to Dell and others, I think they have some pretty resonable prices. Especially in the refurbish section.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2002, 23:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Sadly, it is what he needs to recover his recycle bin. As long as he don't fuck with any other Windows settings in TweakUI he should be fine.

:D  i just noticed this!
yes, that is pretty sad.
surely though there's somewhere in the control panel that will sort this out for you? i have on several ocassions tried to delete that fucking recycle bin, along with the shitty workgroups icon on my windows desktop and not been able to! (don't worry, i don't actually care how it's done, since i never usually use windows now anyway, thanks anyway!  :D  )

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2002, 01:11 »
quote:
Get over the damn recycle bin! Do you realize what a n insult to your intelligence it is?

When I delete something, I want it deleted! If I made a mistake, too damn bad!!!!!!!!!!

The recycle bin does nothing but say that you are a retard, and maybe you don't know what you are doing so let's pretend like you got rid of something, and when you realize you are retarded, and actually needed what you thought you didn't need, you can make things all nice again!

I hate the trash can on the RH 8.0 desktop.

:mad:  

I hate the trash can too, because every single time I "delete" a file I must then right click on the trash can to delete it for real which wastes time.  However, in Red Hat 8 there is a checkbox in nautilus' preferences that lets you bypass the recycle bin, so you can just right click on files and delete them for real.  Just go to edit > preferences and it's under "Desktop and Trash."

avid007

• Kudos: 0
    • http://nope
Recycle bin Deleted!!!
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2002, 05:36 »
All you Linux heads are partially wasting your time.  Here is why-

YOU CANNOT BEAT MICROSOFT

People will always use windows and there is no way that Linux or Apple or anyone is going to change that.  I am not a dipshit either, I had my first Linux installed in 95 and I thought, this shit sucks.  I had to right my own AT commands for my modem and initiallization strings and shit.  It blew.

I know Linux is WAY better now, but it simply cannot compete.  Here comes the exception....

The big BUT is that it is a solid server and really nice embedded OS, so the part where u are not wasting your time is that you can all become developers or admins...but don't be fooled you cannot change the windows desktop.  It ain't going anywhere.

I gave up on fighting this shit about 4 years ago when 98 was coming out.

Now bring on the FLAMES!
---
Don't fight the battle you can't win