Author Topic: My rant!!!  (Read 656 times)

Unforgiven1

• Kudos: 0
My rant!!!
« on: 5 November 2003, 21:51 »
OK..First off, I'm ashamed to admit I keep windows XP on my new computer to play games.  Ok..so I've had some problems with it(what do you expect from m$?) , and have been forced to reprogram it three times now. So I just finish everything up and go to get that damnable activation over..type a few letters and numbers and hit submit...piece of cake.  But no!  Microshit only lets you activate the same disk twice automatically.  So I'm forced to call the asshats at microshit for activation...windows shuts down or something if you don't activate...don't care to find out really.  So anyway...onward with the story.  I call them at their tollfree number, and get a fucking machine (please excuse my profanity, I'm really pissed) Now, me and answering machines don't really see eye to eye, no matter how fancy they may be.  So after arguing with the automated system for 5 minutes of my life I'll never see again, I get transfered to an actual person...getting better.  Ok..so I sit on hold.  I also hate hold with a vengeance.  After 10 minutes on hold this dumb bitch picks up.  I'm good and pissed now mind you.  She asks why I've needed to activate it 3 times.  So, expertly controlling my temper (which is very very short) I explain the situation.  Then the bitch asks if I have it installed on any other computers in my house.  Here's where I started to lose it.  I said "look, I just told you why, I'm not fucking stupid enough to use Microshit on my other computers, I use Linux, now cut the crap, I just want to activate it"  oh, ok she says and proceeds to ask me for this long ass fucking number..which, I give her through clenched teeth.  She then reads back an equally long ass number and I enter it, hit next and finish registration.  So she's getting ready to hang up, and says "have a nice night dear"  I hate it when strange women call me dear.  I exploded!  I asked her if the call was being taped, and she said it was, so I asked if I could make a comment, and she said I could.  So I said something to the effect that Microsoft is an evil corporation for first gouging us on the price of the OS and then only letting us activate it twice, computers fuck up.  It's ridiculous that people still use MS if they keep going in this business practice.  At which point I hung up.  I'm still pissed, I just got off the phone 15 minutes ago..and I'm still not calm.
-------------------------------------------------
And I was right, it's complete bullshit that they do that to people.  100+ for an OS when I can get a better one for free?  don't be ridiculous.  And then...yes..then!  you make me activate it or it shuts off.  Now that's insult added to injury right there.  BUT when you only let me activate said software twice after the exorbiant price?  That's downright criminal.  So I gained MORE hatred for M$ tonight, and officially extend my kudos to this website and fellow Linux users everywhere.  Keep up the good fight, and it is my earnest prayer that someday, we'll see M$ a bankrupt company and Dildo Gates crying in the gutter...surrounded by shattered fragments of Windows XP disks.  Break M$'s Monopoly.
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

istruthfull

• http://www.tampabay.rr.com
My rant!!!
« Reply #1 on: 6 November 2003, 08:05 »
Found this somewhere or another. Hope it helps.

Want to avoid reactivation headaches?

Well, make a backup copy of Wpa.dbl, a small file stored in System32 in the root directory. This file contains the information used to determine whether activation is required.

This, of course, only if you haven't made any large scale hardware changes since the last activation.
If it goes as it should, you'll be reactivated and able to continue your work without having to call Microsoft's Clearing House

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
My rant!!!
« Reply #2 on: 7 November 2003, 01:59 »
Microsoft is getting smarter. They're taking advantage of there shitty software, and forceing people to call tech support so they can spy on you some more.

Unforgiven1

My rant!!!
« Reply #3 on: 7 November 2003, 07:24 »
thanks istruthful already got that baby stored away  :D

lol..tell me about it canadian..sheesh
Do they make XBOX owners activate that too? hah
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
My rant!!!
« Reply #4 on: 7 November 2003, 08:26 »
This is one of the kinds of things I foresaw when MS announced their activation BS.  Someone pays for their software.  Their software breaks down.  You have to call to fix it.  They treat you like a criminal.  

I have a friend who has XP and has had to reinstall and reactivate 5 times.  Each time she has to convince them that she isn't stealing the software she PAID FOR and each time it gets harder and harder.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
My rant!!!
« Reply #5 on: 7 November 2003, 08:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
This is one of the kinds of things I foresaw when MS announced their activation BS.  Someone pays for their software.  Their software breaks down.  You have to call to fix it.  They treat you like a criminal.  

I have a friend who has XP and has had to reinstall and reactivate 5 times.  Each time she has to convince them that she isn't stealing the software she PAID FOR and each time it gets harder and harder.

That would suck if I were using a real copy of XP on my windows machine. I have to reinstall that shit like 3 times a year.

By the way, I do have a real copy of XP Home that came with my laptop..never really used it before. I think I"m gonna install and active it 5 times on purpose all within a few days just for the fun of talking to those idiots and having a nice laugh. lol.

Unforgiven1

My rant!!!
« Reply #6 on: 8 November 2003, 02:42 »
hah...it isn't fun talking to those assclowns.
"No" is the answer!