Author Topic: Who doesn't have a microsoft OS?  (Read 1815 times)

TheKnifeThrower

• Kudos: 0
Who doesn't have a microsoft OS?
« on: 6 July 2003, 17:25 »
I know alot of the people here have linux installed on their computer. But I also know alot of those people have windows intalled as well with a dual boot setup. So who doesn't have a microsoft OS installed on their computer?

3xpl0it

« Reply #1 on: 7 July 2003, 02:06 »
i dont have a microsuck OS  ;)
DAyttttttt dagilinnnnnnnn...ACin Turkiye nin onunuuuuuuuuuu....

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 7 July 2003, 07:49 »
I do not have windows. At home I have computers with Mac OS 8.1, 9.1, and 10.2.6. Also, I refuse to own a computer with windows. The only time I do have one will be however long it takes to download and install Linux.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 7 July 2003, 08:50 »
right now i have my g4 running osx.2, and my dual athlon machine dual booting Red Hat 9 & windows Xp pro. yes, i have xp pro on there. i lost my 2000 cd and had to reinstall windows (for the umpteenth time). i havent ooted into it in a while... but that doesnt change the fact that i have windows..

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 July 2003, 10:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
and had to reinstall windows (for the umpteenth time).

Your doing something wrong then.  

solarismka

« Reply #5 on: 7 July 2003, 11:19 »
quote:
Your doing something wrong then

Actually no.  To keep the OS from causing any errors it is strongly recommended to reinstall windows 1 or even twice a year, depending on how much work the machine does.  This basically keeps the rgistry and all programs clean and functioning.  That is on top of checking your virous scanner is up to date, defraging and scan disk the HD and checking over all hardware componets for anything that might cause an error.  Also keeping uptodate with firewall patches.  

You can keep up to date with MS OS patches but doing so could easily disrupt or change some part of the OS to stop some applicatiosn from working correctly(MSEULA)(also same affect with AV patches I.E. mcafee)

I.E. wmplayer.

As for me i'm generly am using Linux.  no ms OS whatso ever!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

neo_x500

• http://www.burgerking.com
« Reply #6 on: 7 July 2003, 11:22 »
quote:
Your doing something wrong then

Actually, whenever windows problems come up this is the only way to fix them. In fact, this is how a windows support line would respond. They could have every call to ms support forwarded to a machine that says "format disk and reinstall crap." I think this would actually be an improvement to the company.
Je suis une omlette du fromage.
(I am a cheese omlette)

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #7 on: 7 July 2003, 12:59 »
M$ don't live here, only OS X and Suse linux to be found......Thus my life is just that little bit more stress free. Ooooooohhmmmmmmm.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #8 on: 7 July 2003, 13:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:

well. no. i am not. the software that i HAVE to use for windows is written like shit, and causes the os to die. Now, if windows were more modular like osx, and the software self contained, and no fucking registry, i probably wouldn't have to reinstall.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 7 July 2003, 18:11 »
Windows used to be easier. Remember Windows 3.11? Just put shit into a folder, and when you don't need it, just get rid of it without the fear of some register errors, or "spyware/trackers" in your register left over.

Also, at my school, they teach us to back-up the register. What kind of a stupid idea is that? The register is at many times the reason to FORMAT C:.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #10 on: 8 July 2003, 11:30 »
No Winderz here.     I have a Micron Millenia Xtreme that had Win XP on it when I bought it, as that was unavoidable   :mad:   But then, I blew it away and installed Linux.    
So far I've got:
  • Mandrake 9.0
  • Debian (Woody)
  • ELX Business Desktop 1.0
  • Slackware 9.0
  • QNX
I also have an older system coming my way, and I'll hack FreeBSD onto that.

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

oolooz

« Reply #11 on: 8 July 2003, 20:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:

Vey true.

He's using MS Windows.   :D

zooloo

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #12 on: 8 July 2003, 23:02 »
According to apple their are 7 million people running os x.  This could mean that their are millions of people with out a microsoft os.

Either way it shows you that people who hate microsoftl like us know what were talking about it and have a lot of experience with many versions of windows.
All your base are belong to us.

GotRoot??

« Reply #13 on: 9 July 2003, 21:31 »
No MS here.  Just various distributions of Linux.
    :D

Industry

« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2003, 00:03 »
The obvious answer to the dilemma: none of you have Windows because none of you do anything. None of you have programmed anything cool, none of you have made anything new or interesting. In fact, none of you do anything at all, except read slashdot and pretend to hack. It's a sad life, and one that no OS transistion will help. I'm sorry to say it, but you're all doomed. If you don't make anything, you don't need an OS capable of it.

Tell me, is it really bliss?