Author Topic: Forgive me, for I have sinned.  (Read 1563 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Forgive me, for I have sinned.
« Reply #30 on: 13 July 2003, 06:36 »
1.8 gigs to install just windows? goddam. it will never end. xp pro was like 1.2 gigs, 2000 was like 800mb. fucking rediculous.

at least when i install 1.8 gigs of a linux distro, i get a shit load of applications to use.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #31 on: 13 July 2003, 06:54 »
God, that Plex interface is so ugly, I got a headache from looking at it to take screenshots. Even Luna is a relief compared to that wretched Longscorn GUI (I installed XP as well just before installing Longhorn).

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #32 on: 13 July 2003, 07:36 »

[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: The all X11 hater ]

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: The all X11 hater ]

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #33 on: 13 July 2003, 08:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
http://members.cox.net/skyman/pics/mirror/longhorn/classic.png

Does this answer your question, fett?

Yes it does, although I doubt it will do that when it's released.

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: 13 July 2003, 08:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
1.8 gigs to install just windows? goddam. it will never end. xp pro was like 1.2 gigs, 2000 was like 800mb. fucking rediculous.

at least when i install 1.8 gigs of a linux distro, i get a shit load of applications to use.

*ahem*

OSX
2.Verify you have enough hard drive space. While the amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac OS X, you are recommended to have at least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive.

Redhat
Hard Disk Space:
Custom installation (minimum): 475 MB
Personal Desktop: 1.7 GB
Workstation: 2.1 GB
Custom installation (everything): 5.0 GB

Though, the desktop install includes office and multimedia and other assorted apps, I wonder, though do not care enough to find out, what a basic install, with GUI and basic apps similar to a windows install, would be.

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #35 on: 13 July 2003, 21:10 »
Sure. You could disable all that crap, but what's the point? Longhorn offers nothing else significant but DRM protection schemes

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: 13 July 2003, 21:32 »
Well Apple's site isn't kind enough to be more helpful (I had to google to find requirements) and I haven't the cash to pay thier high prices and find out how small they can make it. Are those Linux distributions comparable to the GUI, configuration utilities, and miscellaneous apps on a windows install.

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: 13 July 2003, 21:44 »
Such a Linux OS can fit on a CD, with multimedia applications, games, word processors and browsers. Knoppix, SuSE Linux (the evaluation version) and others I don't know about. Whether you like them or not, they clearly prove that you can get a decent interface without wasting space with useless rubbish. And Mac OS X may be quite big, but it provides much more useful and innovative features than that bloated Longhorn crap.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #38 on: 13 July 2003, 11:08 »
I'm likin` KDE more and more

and Longhorn looks an awful lot like it!

That task bar pisses me off.

I went through and matched my kde task bar to it

I've got everything except for that stupid bloody slide show, but I guess you need a 64 bit system to use such an industry changing inovation such as that!

I don't know why they used an analog clock I don't think many of MS's customers could read it!

and by the time they've figured out the time, the hands moved five minutes, and they have to start all over again!

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: 13 July 2003, 11:23 »
Watch it. I'm no Microsoftie, and I HATE analogue clocks... especially with no numbers... *shudders*

I find Longhorn looks much more like QNX. The sidebar is a direct rip-off of the Photon shelf.  Except, of course, for the revolting colour, and the shelf is much more useful in QNX.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #40 on: 13 July 2003, 17:40 »
I don't think the Plex theme will stay there. They pay some design company to do it for them, just like they did with Windows XP.

The Windows XP beta, called Whistler, looked very differently from what it is now. Click here for an example. I guess they'll change the design of this beta too.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #41 on: 13 July 2003, 17:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Fett101:

*ahem*

OSX
2.Verify you have enough hard drive space. While the amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac OS X, you are recommended to have at least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive.

Redhat
Hard Disk Space:
Custom installation (minimum): 475 MB
Personal Desktop: 1.7 GB
Workstation: 2.1 GB
Custom installation (everything): 5.0 GB

Though, the desktop install includes office and multimedia and other assorted apps, I wonder, though do not care enough to find out, what a basic install, with GUI and basic apps similar to a windows install, would be.

curious. when i installed jaguar, it only wanted about 1.5 gigs, and that was mostly for localized language files & printers. my redhat install was about a gig... but, the apps i get for both installs make up for any space taken. windows offers me nothing. oh wow. movie maker and ms paint. kwal-e-tee..

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: 13 July 2003, 20:03 »
quote:
The Windows XP beta, called Whistler, looked very differently from what it is now. Click here for an example. I guess they'll change the design of this beta too.

You may have noticed that they changed the theme just after Apple released screenshots of Mac OS X. And at the same time, they renamed Whistler 'Windows XP'. Coincidence? I think not.

Therefore, since Apple has not drastically changed the appearance of Mac OS yet, we should not expect any change from Microsoft yet. After all, the whole point of Plex seems to be show-off and 'me too'.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #43 on: 13 July 2003, 21:27 »
quote:
And don't forget that OS X doesn't use a separate swap partition.

Actually, you can speed up OS X if you put the swap on a different partition or disk.