Author Topic: I Hate Microsoft!!!  (Read 723 times)

wntr3352

• Kudos: 0
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« on: 22 February 2004, 13:12 »
Well, I just got done shopping tonight for what will be my fourth computer.

It's gonna be an Apple G4 portable.

The first was an Apple Performa desktop.
The second was a Compaq Windows desktop. Purchased because of more software choices.
The third was/is a Toshiba portable Windows machine.

So, I last had an Apple six L O N  G years ago.  I cannot even begin to fathom how many HOURS upon HOURS I have wasted with a junky operating system that locks up regularly.

My first Windows based computer had Windows 98.  I had better luck with that than I have had with the junky XP.

The only positive thing I have to say about XP is that there is the System Restore option which basically concedes that the whole program SUCKS.

Then Bill and gang add insult to injury by asking if I want to WASTE more of my time so I can send them some stupid "message" that will be added to the other trillions when the OS locks up, daily.

If I had been an anal retentive computor these past six years and documented the thousands of hours I have wasted dealing with the Microsoft operating system crasges I would love to sue them for wasting so much of my time with such an inferior product.

Once I get my new Apple I will gladly give up software selection... but I will be working with a superior machine and operating system that still puts MS and Windows to shame.

They may be the biggest, but they sure the heck are not the best.

By a long shot.
TimW

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2004, 16:53 »
Why pay a lot of money for a machine which runs some kind of closed-source operating system, when you can keep your PC and install Linux on it?

I recommend Fedora (free download of 3 CD's).

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2004, 19:24 »
Because Mac OS X is WAY better than Linux.

wntr3352, go with the Mac, you won't regret it.

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2004, 23:22 »
If Apple would bite the bullet and port OSX to PC, I'd get it.  But that's never gonna happen...

Linux wants to be like OSX, and it's getting there...so that's something to look forward to.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2004, 23:38 »
Start simple. Refalm is right, try Linux first. It's easy going to install it on a PC, and it'll do nearly anything you want. Getting a Mac is an expensive undertaking. Go used if you do that. I suggest a G4 tower, around a 733 or 800 to start out with.

I highly recommend you NOT get an Apple 'book right now. Quality control problems abound. If you do it, get one of the Powerbook G3s... the 500MHz "Pismo" model is best. Or a 500 MHz or 600MHz Fall 2001 model iBooks. After that, it's hit-and-miss.

Used Power Mac G4... best place is http://powermax.com

But for now, try Fedora. It's pretty foolproof.
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2004, 00:04 »
quote:
I highly recommend you NOT get an Apple 'book right now. Quality control problems abound. If you do it, get one of the Powerbook G3s... the 500MHz "Pismo" model is best. Or a 500 MHz or 600MHz Fall 2001 model iBooks. After that, it's hit-and-miss.

The issues are being addressed.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2004, 00:38 »
I got the cheaper (1.6GHz) G5 just a few weeks ago and I am very happy with it, sitting with my blazing fast PC that I built back in november, and a server with win2k server AND slackware linux, not to mention my old powermac 7100/66 (66MHz). I got that thing when it was new ten years ago and it has been a great computer all along. It sure seemed fast when  my family got it! Oh yeah, and I have my 300Mhz P2 Dell, and old 16MHz Mac Performa, my 400MHz imac...

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

OldManRiver

I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2004, 11:21 »
Hey don't forget the MAC OS is running on Red Hat Kernal.

Duh!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2004, 00:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by OldManRiver:
Hey don't forget the MAC OS is running on Red Hat Kernal.

Duh!

what the hell?

I hope you are joking.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2004, 00:15 »
Smells like one of the 'regular' members going for a lame joke.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2004, 00:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:
Smells like one of the 'regular' members going for a lame joke.

I'm in a world of confusion today  :confused:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2004, 00:31 »
Refalm must be a member of the Fedora team, he certainly is voracious in his support for that flavor Linux.
It's not a bad OS, but there are other alternatives that are just as good.

restin256

• http://cybersphere.netfirms.com
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2004, 04:55 »
Personally, I hate Fedora. I got it for it's officially supported implimentation of apt-get, and nothing else. It still has a long way to go.

young1024

• http://www.freewebs.com/young1024
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2004, 05:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by wntr3352:
Well, I just got done shopping tonight for what will be my fourth computer.

It's gonna be an Apple G4 portable.

The first was an Apple Performa desktop.
The second was a Compaq Windows desktop. Purchased because of more software choices.
The third was/is a Toshiba portable Windows machine.

So, I last had an Apple six L O N  G years ago.  I cannot even begin to fathom how many HOURS upon HOURS I have wasted with a junky operating system that locks up regularly.

My first Windows based computer had Windows 98.  I had better luck with that than I have had with the junky XP.

The only positive thing I have to say about XP is that there is the System Restore option which basically concedes that the whole program SUCKS.

Then Bill and gang add insult to injury by asking if I want to WASTE more of my time so I can send them some stupid "message" that will be added to the other trillions when the OS locks up, daily.

If I had been an anal retentive computor these past six years and documented the thousands of hours I have wasted dealing with the Microsoft operating system crasges I would love to sue them for wasting so much of my time with such an inferior product.

Once I get my new Apple I will gladly give up software selection... but I will be working with a superior machine and operating system that still puts MS and Windows to shame.

They may be the biggest, but they sure the heck are not the best.

By a long shot.

Umm... don't do it! Just install Linux or another open source/free O/S! You don't need a superior machine to put MS to shame! Get Mandrake or SuSE Linux, trust me. The price is free, and it's superior in many ways, because even the source is free! (You better have broadband and a CD burner though.)(And Apple is just like Microsoft, just smaller.)
Just pretend there's a really cool sig here.

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
I Hate Microsoft!!!
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2004, 22:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Why pay a lot of money for a machine which runs some kind of closed-source operating system, when you can keep your PC and install Linux on it?

I recommend Fedora (free download of 3 CD's).

Yes, be a free thinker by doing what he tells you.   :rolleyes:
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.