Author Topic: Reasons why not to use M$...  (Read 3576 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Reasons why not to use M$...
« Reply #90 on: 16 March 2002, 18:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
As far as my wife and kids go. With Windows I got tired of hearing "Dad, my report won't print, what's this error mean?" and I reply "I don't know, read the message, I thought Windows was supposed to be easy".  I switched them to Linux and I don't have these problems.  It doesn't crash, the stuff works. For those point and clickers who do nothing more than email/surf/Office it is equally as easy as Windows but without the headaches. They surf all their web sites, they read their mail in Evolution (which is very much like the full blown Outlook but without the little virus problem). I was concerned that it would be more of a hassle for them as well. I have found that just the opposite is true. And I have more time to respond to these forums because I'm not out fixing their Windows errors.

I've only got one thing that keeps me from getting rid of one Windows machine and that is "RealFlight G2" an R/C flight simulator. I paid $300 for that software and it has this insane copy protection. Too bad there is not a Linux version. When I try to install it under VMware it thinks there is a debugger running and will not run.  As soon of enough of us switch from MS to Linux there "will" be the demand and these vendors will have no choice but to port if they want to stay in business. We may have to put up with fewer "commercial" apps early on but the more that make the switch, the more software will come.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

This is good. I agree totally.
Why can't the bickerers just let alone. VoidMain only posts when he has something to *say*.
I expect to see a lot more bickering here now, btw, can't let somebody else have the last word now can we?  ;)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #91 on: 16 March 2002, 21:04 »
VoidMan:

Im intrigued. A $300 dollar game? hoe good is it?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #92 on: 16 March 2002, 21:25 »
Well, I wouldn't consider it a game. It is a simulartor for R/C aircraft and probably as good at doing it's job as a 10 million dollar mechanical 767 simulator used to train airline pilots (well, probably not quite   ).  At any rate it is *very* realistic and I use it to practice new aerobatics before trying them on my $2500 airplane.  Crashing on the simulator is much less expensive. Check out http://www.realflight.com if you want more info.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #93 on: 16 March 2002, 22:24 »
WOW! That's pretty impressive. I used to fly R/C planes a long time ago. But I was never THAT into it.

Probably the coolest plane I ever owned was a Balsa Wood Spirit Of St. Lewis I built from a kit, But that one flew on strings  

As far as actual R/C's I owned a preaty cheep learning one and never made it much farther. Pretty cool program tho.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #94 on: 16 March 2002, 22:46 »
Yeah it's a lot of fun. I just got back into it less than two years ago when my son brought in a Tower Hobbies magazine and said he was interested. I used to have those COX line controlled myself when I was a kid, but none of them ever lived very long. I found it interesting that they are still popular (but much more advanced).  I like the R/C better though, more freedom and size is virutually unlimited.  We now have around 8 planes, currently the biggest is the 27% Midwest CAP 232 with a 44cc gas engine and an 80" wing span. Our big one is puny compared to some in our club though.

And if you are more interested in it check out http://www.rconline.com where you can get a lot of information (and usually some cool pictures).

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

cyrax

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #95 on: 19 March 2002, 06:31 »
I have to used *nix, i even used "calc.exe" in windows, talk about state of the art, im even delving into freecell, wow, those wacky cells, beat me everytime...

im learning to play pong on my calculator, and i believe that windblows rules MAN!! yea...

id bet no1 here can do this =>    

can some1 give me information on how to format my CPU and overclock my CD ROM, also, need alot of help in this cmd: rm -rf /bin/laden

also, im thinking of upgrading my 486 towards a state of the art pentium CPU, maybe even Intel Inside.
Please help me in questions, if you can help, ill send you my cat through the mail inside a envelope with a nude picture of my mum.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #96 on: 19 March 2002, 06:48 »
You're hired!  That's good stuff!  

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #97 on: 19 March 2002, 16:41 »
no arguments there, i reckoned from your name that i would probably agree with you in the end  ;)  sometimes harsh words an interesting discussion make though  :D

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #98 on: 20 March 2002, 01:19 »
You don't need a GUI for a web server, who told you otherwise?  Of course you don't even need a GUI for MS IIS, but the MS OS requires a GUI to even run a server at all. On any other OS, GUI is not necessary.  None of my web servers have a GUI running, or have ever had a GUI running.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #99 on: 20 March 2002, 15:29 »
:confused:  well i knew it didn't need a GUI, nothing needs a GUI (oh, unless it's a deliberately engineered dependency, in a closed source system) to work, and since a GUI uses resources itself, it's better not to run one, if you can and want to.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, since i just installed Enlightenment on my desktop!  :D  it's nice, but once i get the hang of it i think i will probably revert to sawfich again...