Author Topic: Why is Windows/NTFS stealing my disk space?  (Read 648 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
Why is Windows/NTFS stealing my disk space?
« on: 30 August 2003, 03:02 »
I have a 15 GB partition in NTFS format. Why does Windows use up 66 MB of it? The partition is completely blank yet 66 MB is used up (probably on that System VOlume Information folder that I can't access). WHy is it taking up so much? 66MB seems like a lot for system info.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2003, 03:11 »
various metadata, file compression data, boot files, and other "hidden/nonmovable" files.

you'll never find out what the hell it all is... remember, "trade secrets"
Go the fuck ~

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2003, 03:15 »
That System Volume Information folder that you can't access is a snapshot of your drive. It is there to protect your data if you have a power failure, your system decides to reboot for no reason, you hit the reset switch without shutting down or you have a nasty crash that corrupts some files on that partation. When you run scandisk on a NTFS volume and it finds a problem with the drive it recalls how the data should be from that image that is stored in the System Volume Information. It also contains a Last Known Good Configuration list so if you ever install a dodgy driver that causes your system to Halt upon boot you can restore to the last known good configuration(contained in that folder).

Think of it as a way of making your data and OS bootup more secure.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2003, 03:28 »
does system restore data also get locked away in the same fashion?

as for "last known good", the only times I ever tried to use that, was when something bad happened after boot up. Bluescreen on login... gah!!
Go the fuck ~

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #4 on: 4 October 2003, 13:09 »
Actually, the System Restore information is in the System Volume Information folder, you can reset the permissions to let you into it by taking ownership of the folder and resetting the security permissions.  And, most of the space taken up is because  approximately 60MB per drive is reserved for the NTFS logfile and Master File Table.  Neither is optional.

Damn.
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Faust

« Reply #5 on: 4 October 2003, 13:42 »
MULTIPLE master file tables, they have backups.  That is probably a good idea, reduces risk etc etc, but metadata shouldn't be THAT big surely?

quote:
That System Volume Information folder that you can't access is a snapshot of your drive. It is there to protect your data if you have a power failure,

Um a snapshot of a 15 gig drive would take 15 gig, unless it's compressed (5 gigish i guess?)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #6 on: 4 October 2003, 14:27 »
Metadata is stored with your files, so that isn't it.  It doesn't exist without files as it is part of the File Stream.  System Restore does NOT take a snapshot, it merely save "critical" files so you don't screw them up  ;)
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #7 on: 4 October 2003, 21:52 »
FUCK SYSTEM RESTORE!!! It's no diffrent than pressing clontrol+alt+delete Blot if I say so myself.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #8 on: 4 October 2003, 22:10 »
Windows System Restore takes up to 2 GB. So it's best to turn it off, and it's of course better to delete Windows, which takes up more than 4 GB.

Faust

« Reply #9 on: 4 October 2003, 22:28 »
For that matter it's pretty funny that hibernate takes up X mb space where X = total mb ram even when it's not in use.   :rolleyes:
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html