Author Topic: Unpatched Windows PC fucked after 20 minutes  (Read 523 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Unpatched Windows PC fucked after 20 minutes
« on: 19 August 2004, 20:00 »
Recently formatted your PC, not to install something superior like Linux, BSD or Zeta on it, but Windows?

In that case, your computer will catch a virus before you even downloaded the latest security patches and service pack (which includes "required" stuff like Windows Media Crasher and the .NJET framework).

quote:
CNET News.com: According to the researchers, an unpatched Windows PC connected to the Internet will last for only about 20 minutes before it's compromised by malware, on average. That figure is down from around 40 minutes, the group's estimate in 2003.

quote:
CNET News.com: "On the other hand, university networks and users of high-speed Internet services are frequently targeted with additional scans from malware like bots," the group stated. "If you are connected to such a network, your 'survival time' will be much smaller."

quote:
CNET News.com: "Nobody will have time to detect it," he said. "Nobody will have time to issue patches or virus definitions and get them out there. This shows that patch management is not the be-all and end-all."

Read the full article (ad supported).

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2004, 20:08 »
*looks at his RedHat install*

*looks at his Slack 10 install*

*points at Windroids that don't bother updating EVER and laughs his ass off*

quote:
"If the human body did patch management the way (companies do), we'd all be dead."

Choice.   :D

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

pandronic

• Kudos: 115
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2004, 00:57 »
Hmm ... it happened to me a few month ago when I first installed Win2k. In an hour I had 5 viruses on my computer. I never had a chance to install any patches.

Still on my other computer I run Win98 for about an year (and it isn't patched at all) and never had a problem - I guess that no one bothers to write stuff for Win98 anymore.

cX_GX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2004, 12:05 »
XP has to be the worst.... I tried installing that on a machine  a few months ago, it was infected.  Reinstalled it again and it was infected before I could patch it... I decided to put 2000 on it instead that I already made a slipstream sp4 CD for.   Freaky that an unpatched box behind a router with no open ports can magically get crap on it that fast.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2004, 01:55 »
I'm still devestated that my laptop Slack 10 install went less than ideally; so now I have to either get off my arse to try to figure out a kernel panic at boot, boot from the install CD, or boot into Windows.  Guess which one takes less time and doesn't require me to track down the CDs?  If there was a :crying: emoticon, I'd use it.   :(

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2004, 02:10 »
There's an interesting graph at the Internet Storm Center that shows average survival time (how long you have between attacks).

Talium

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2004, 22:49 »
i think I had more lack , after instoling  win xp on my computer it was working without any patches or firewall for hours and it did not get infected