Author Topic: Let me tell you how great Windows is......  (Read 710 times)

emh

• Kudos: 0
Let me tell you how great Windows is......
« on: 4 December 2002, 04:27 »
It's so great, that if a network program crashes, not only does it bring the OS of the server down with it, it also crashes every computer connected to the network!!

Yes, this actually happened at my work.

We have computers running Windows 2000, and we have either a Windows 2000 or a WIndows .NET server.  Anyway, a database program we use, I guess something went wrong in it and the program crashed.  However, as the program was crashing, EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER ON THE NETWORK (WHICH IS ALL THE COMPANY'S COMPUTERS) CRASHED AT THE SAME TIME!!!  How the hell does that happen?

I think all computers had to be restarted, and the problem was fixed, but still, this one program should not have taken down every computer connected to the server the program was running on.

Maybe this incident will get our IT manager to consider other alternatives.  As it is right now, he swears by all Microsoft products and thinks they're the best thing that's ever happened to the PC market.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2002, 04:28 »
damn, thats worse then our novell setup at school
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2002, 04:33 »
It takes a lot more than that to convert a Microsoft droid in the form of an IT manager. 99% of the time the droid IT manager needs to be "shown the door" before positive change can occur.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2002, 04:59 »
VoidMan is correct. Its very difficult to convert anybody. It goes beyond Operating Systems. Humans stick to behaviors even if it has minimal rewards. Humans do not accept change.
 We are like sheeps, most of us at least. We do not realize the power that we have.
 I strongly believe, that it would take just few weeks to get rid of the worlds bigest problems, if we realized how powerfull we can be. Our handicap though is our low standards, of what we consider "rewarding".

In other words we are kinda like this "baaah i have a car, i have a house, i hump my old lady plus my mistress, who cares if society is shit. Let somebody else fix it."
Yeah

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2002, 05:17 »
I should say that is true for the IT "manager/director" types but not necessarily the techy types (unless they are brain dead and can't see past MCSE). Directors have to justify their huge investments in Microsoft software, even if it means even more huge investments. Techy types could care less about that and use what allows them to do the most cool things with the least amount of effort and roadblocks.

When you can get Linux and Open Source applications without having to fill out a purchase order and not have to get signatures from God justifying the purchase then Linux creeps in the back door. And when the techy has the source which allows him/her to hack it up the way they like it's a bonus.

The only problem is, many times this has to be hidden from the IT windroid manager/director. In many cases I used open source to fill in the giant gaps that would have put the windroid IT director/CIO over budget and saved his ass. In no way would he ever admit this publicly, or necessarily know why he didn't go down with the ship. Maybe it's better to let the ship sink to speed up the inevitable.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Doctor V

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2002, 07:05 »
In my opinion, Void Main is, as usual, correct.  These IT director/managers often don't have a clue.    Aften spending oodles of cash on some sort of windows licencing plan, they certainly don't want to believe that they could have done without it.  M$ gives companys that option of upgrading at a discount very early, forcing IT managers to make the choice before really looking onto it.  They feel the need to stay up to date, ahead of the game (M$ advertizing).  Upgrading after the deadline costs extra, to do so would lead to them getting asked by their managers why they were slow, and didn't show more inititive, lost money for the company yadda yadda.  Then they say things like, "nobody ever got fired for going with Microsoft".  It all adds up to money going down the toilet, money that could have been invested elsewhere, creating new jobs etc...  Utterly disgusting, M$ is a fucking parasite.

emh

« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2002, 07:16 »
At this point, our company is growing rather rapidly.  Cost isn't quite as much of an issue as it might be for other companies.  At least he hasn't yet gone for mass purchasing of Windows XP or Office XP for all computers.  At least he seems to be smart, in that he knows the company doesn't need the latest office software to function.

I think the only way he'll even think about possibly using other software other than Microsoft will be for me to just start using other software.  The good thing is that he allows each user to have administrative access to his/her computer.  Perhaps I should start just using open-source programs to get my work done whenever possible.  Then, the IT manager, if he sees me working with it, it might at least arouse his curiosity.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2002, 08:12 »
But you have to be careful. Saving the company money could get you fired if your IT director is a Microsoft Nazi and believes to the Microsoft viral-GPL drivel.

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
« Reply #8 on: 8 December 2002, 15:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by bazoukas [The F*en Linux Militant]:
We are like sheeps,

Hmm sheeps aye? interesnting.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #9 on: 8 December 2002, 16:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Got Doogee?:

Originally posted by bazoukas [The F*en Linux Militant]:
We are like sheeps,

Hmm sheeps aye? interesnting.

English isn't his first language, give him a break.    

ps. Your spellnig of interesting isn't too hot  :D
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Doctor V

« Reply #10 on: 9 December 2002, 21:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:

English isn't his first language, give him a break.    

ps. Your spellnig of interesting isn't too hot   :D  

And your spelling of spelling isn't too hot.   :D

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #11 on: 9 December 2002, 10:01 »
lolololol
Yeah

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 9 December 2002, 16:39 »
Hei doods, dis spel1inztsjekker phrom Microsoft Word 2002 1z vorckin' chreat!

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #13 on: 9 December 2002, 16:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor V:

And your spelling of spelling isn't too hot.    :D  

Do you yanks need the joke explaining?!?!?!?
Contains scenes of mild peril.