Author Topic: Verizon & MSN...WHY?  (Read 1495 times)

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« on: 1 July 2002, 06:43 »
So here is my problem. I use verizon DSL. It's cheap for the household and the service is actually quite good, and service has been fairly well provided. I have no real complaints. Until now. Verizon has decided to partner with MSN. The following Q & A was lifted from the verizon site

http://www2.verizon.net/service_updates/msn_vol_qa.asp

Copied below for those who wish to read it without linking.

"

Verizon Online DSL with MSN
Questions & Answers

1. What kind of benefits does the new Verizon Online DSL with MSN offer me?
2. When and where will this new service be available?
3. Will it cost anything to get the new service?
4. How do I get the new Verizon Online DSL with MSN service?
5. I am a dial-up subscriber; will I be able to get this new service?
6. Why did Verizon Online choose MSN over other companies?
7. Will you share customer information?

1. What kind of benefits does the new Verizon Online DSL with MSN offer me?
Verizon Online and MSN plan to deliver one of the richest, most compelling high-speed Internet access services around. Benefits to you will include:

Easy and direct access to both your Verizon Online e-mail and MSN Hotmail accounts.
Full suite of online services which may include: Instant Messenger, MS Encarta encyclopedia, photo storage and sharing, MS Money personal finance tools and more!
Enhanced and compatible services allowing you to include photos within e-mails and instant messages or automatically enter appointments made in e-mail onto your online calendar.
Additional features such as parental controls and security software.

2. When and where will this new service be available?
We plan to launch the service in early 2003. The joint DSL service will be available to both current and new Verizon Online DSL subscribers in Verizon's local telephone service areas across the United States.

3. Will it cost anything to get the new service?
No. The new Verizon Online DSL with MSN service will be available as part of your DSL service at no extra charge.

4. How do I get the new Verizon Online DSL with MSN service?
If you are already a DSL subscriber, we will provide you with software that you can use to upgrade to the new service. We will let you know how to get a copy prior to the availability of the new service.

5. I am a dial-up subscriber; will I be able to get this new service?
The new service will only be available to DSL subscribers. As a dial-up subscriber, you will still have access to great services, which, of course, we plan to continue enhancing. However, if you would like to use this new service with Verizon Online DSL as soon as it's available check out our latest DSL specials and sign up now.

6. Why did Verizon Online choose MSN over other companies?
Verizon Online chose MSN services based on their excellent track record in developing broadband-enhanced applications and core Internet technologies. MSN offers a stellar combination of content and applications that we think you will enjoy. We strive to offer our subscribers the best service available and believe that Verizon Online with MSN will be one of the most compelling services around.

7. Will you share customer information?
Information that MSN and Verizon Online need to offer the new Verizon Online with MSN service will be shared between the companies, but only in accordance with Verizon Online's and MSN's published privacy policies. (For more details refer to Verizon Online's Privacy Policy).

"

To say this annoys me would be to make an understatement, and I have not yet been able to inform Verizon of my discontent because they have no e-mail address for such things, and the points I wish to make need to be written out in fairly concise terms.

Point 1. The new service offers me nothing I require, a few e-mail features that I can get on any half decent e-mail handling program. It's trying to offer to store my photos on a server, when I have a perfectly decent CR-RW...why?

Point 2. I don't care about where it's available, I don't want it.

Point 3. It will cost nothing, so what am I complaining about? The point is I do not want my personal data being shared with M$, which under the Verizon privacy statements and their various policys, they can do, because MSN is now a partner.

Point 4. Okay they will provide me with software to 'upgrade' my service, well what happens when I choose not to take this most generous of offers? Will my service suffer? I'm prepared to bet it will, or it will become part of the installation, and if you don't install it 'some features may not work', a phrase that is becoming all to common?

Point 5. This question does not apply to me, but it seems like a way to try to force DSL upgrades on people who are happy with dial-up, if you don't have DSL you'll start to loose services, I'll bet.

Point 6. This statement leaves so much to be said. In brief, MSN does not have an excellent track record, I will require much evidence before I believe this, and no-one has been able to provide examples of foresight and competency that satisfy me. It is a matter of record that almost all the real internet development and core technology work has been done by small companies, and then purchased, borrowed and in some cases stolen by various big businesses. If I thought MSN offered stellar content and applications I would sign up for it myself, the few services MSN offer that I would be interested in I find are better provided by other companies (like on-line e-mail). MSN is compelling, it's compelling me to find a different ISP, before 2003.

Point 7. So basically it seems that any prospective user of their service (i.e current DSL subscribers) will have their information passed to MSN. I cannot get adequate information on this, and verizon hide behind service numbers, so I cannot e-mail them for a written response.

I don't want MSN, I purchase and use products based on many factors, including it's ability to do what I want, and political motivations. If I am forced to have to deal with a company I don't want to do business with, and did not originally sign up with, then I will find another provider. A service is being offered and I cannot find which particular motivation is behind it, either Verizon are trying to go content based, in which case I feel they have chosen the wrong partner, as can be seen by MSN's track record for bad security and buggy product. Or MSN are paying for gateway access to my PC - NO NO NO, I don't want them any where near me.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #1 on: 1 July 2002, 07:07 »
You are one lucky guy! With all the new cool features MSN provides! And the excellent "track record" that MSN has!! WOW!![/sarcasm]

How about switching to your local Ma Bell? I use it, and it's great!

pkd_lives

Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #2 on: 4 July 2002, 10:24 »
Sometimes I'm thick as two short planks. It's that bloody 3G 'phone software. They have tied up with Vodaphone, and so naturally formed a link with Verizon.

They want to write the software for mobile phones accessing the net (not to mention the user software required), and I will bet this is part of the deal. They can start taking control of the way the 'net is accessed and then set up access by DSL or 'phone to run under their proprietary 'standards'.

Is it me or is this paranoia? I mean just look at all the alliances and companies being purchased by M$ recently (as read in numerous articles on the front page of this site), almost all of it seems to be related to peripheral equipment, they don't even appear to be concentrating on new OS development. It makes a kind of sense. They are starting to loose credability in the OS market (even amongst hardcore users), so they are now trying to control the other end of the market. Like entertainment media, phones, security, peripheral hardware (keyboard, Mouse).

If they get to do this they can taylor everything they do to ensure software works best with their operating systems, driving out new competition. If they move fast enough, they could control the internet, and all the things you use it for.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #3 on: 4 July 2002, 18:19 »
i think that that is very much the case, it's not paranoia at all.

Microsoft doesn't put these sorts of ambitions in any press release, so it's up to the more sceptical of us to figure out what's going on and spread it around before the damage is done, that's why it's always good to post these sorts of reservations on this site.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #4 on: 6 July 2002, 16:38 »
Verizon Online chose MSN services based on their excellent track record in developing broadband-enhanced applications and core Internet technologies. MSN offers a stellar combination of content and applications that we think you will enjoy.

Translated into english =

Verizon Online chose MSN Services based on the ammount of money they will put into this service. MSN offers a worthless combination of content and applications that will give you less performance and security, but will be so much prettier that we think you will not notice. Enjoy.

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #5 on: 7 July 2002, 00:06 »
heheh  yep
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

tratan

• http://home.nc.rr.com/jordanweb
Verizon & MSN...WHY?
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2002, 04:04 »
I feel your pain   :(

Did Verizon go to great lengths to inform it's customers of this change, or are they doing it rather subvertly ("putting the notice in the locker in the basement past the sign that says 'beware the crocadile'" to roughly quote the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy)?

I agree that you should get away from Verizon before the MSN thing kicks in, and should find out whether MSN will still get the information from your disabled account.
Anything I state, unless I say otherwise, is my opinion.  If I say I observed something then I observed it, if I say something is true than that's an opinion.