Author Topic: FOOT-PRINTING  (Read 697 times)

legume

• Kudos: 0
    • http://n/a
FOOT-PRINTING
« on: 2 May 2002, 00:03 »
I have Win98 SE. Ever since did a free trial of McAfee Clinic and rejected it, I have been getting error messages from them when I boot up. I uninstalled McAfee and am now using Norton, but still get the messages.  I deleted everything I could find relating to McAfee in "Find" and even a few things in "Regedit".  Still there. And NOW I try to open Regedit I get a Microsoft error message saying it can't find the file.  Norton Win Doctor says it fixed that problem, but it hasn't.  Anybody have any ideas for fixing this?

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
FOOT-PRINTING
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2002, 00:09 »
yea, make an emergency boot floppy in windows. Restart with the floppy in the drive and type:

format C:

This should clear up any problems.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
FOOT-PRINTING
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2002, 00:10 »
You should boot to DOS(hold F8 after the BIOS POST screen and choose Command Prompt Only), when you get to the command prompt type SMARTDRV C+ 4096  and hit enter, then type DELTREE and delete the Windows and Progra~1 directories then restart your computer and boot off of the Windows 98 CD-ROM(that is if your BIOS will allow for you to boot off of the CD-ROM) and do a clean installation of Windows 98. Before you bomb the OS make for sure that you can set your CD-ROM as the first boot device. If not you will need to make a bootable Windows 98 floppy from within Windows(so you can boot to DOS with CDROM support) then go to DOS and delete your existing Windows 98 installation. If you have to go the floppy root, when the system is booted up from the floppy(after you delete the current installation of Windows)type in the CD-ROM root directory(usually D:\ or E:\)and hit enter, then type CD WIN98 then hit enter then type setup and hit enter.

You will also need to make sure that you have your Video Card, Sound Card and Modem drivers on a disk before you do a clean installation of Windows. The modem drivers are the most important because you can always get on the net to download video and sound drivers after you re-install windows.

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
FOOT-PRINTING
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2002, 03:54 »
oh yes, follow zombie14513186318's advice to the letter, and then remember to send a cheque for everything you own to:
Bill Gates
Microsoft Castle
Redmond,
then hop around your house 3 times with one hand tied to your ankle, then go back indoors, and take off all your clothes before dunking your head 12 times into a pan of boiling oil. That should be about as much help as anything anybody else can come up with.

Face it. your windows has died, give it a decent burial and if you must use windows, do a fresh install and save yourself some ag.
There is no reason why every windows user wouldn't want to dual boot with a UNIX based system in this day and age though, so think about that.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism