Author Topic: XP Vs Linux in stability.. (DUN DUN DUN)  (Read 2213 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
XP Vs Linux in stability.. (DUN DUN DUN)
« Reply #15 on: 4 September 2002, 12:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b:
I put it too you, dat you sucked off a horse!

Yeah and you licked a dingos' ass.

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #16 on: 4 September 2002, 12:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
If you want top notch stability and reliability from Windows you really should try running the server on a system with an Intel CPU and Intel chipset. Your system may have hard locked from a Via chipset bug(the Via 686A and 686B based chipsets are plauged with lots o' bugs) or perhaps maybe your CPU overheated(Athlons do have heat issues...heat=bad for stablity). I have an Athlon XP 1600+ on a KT133A(686B) chipset motherboard and I can't get Windows to run reliably for any longer than 5 days without rebooting. For some reason on my Athlon box it will run nice and fast at first but it's performance diminishes to almost pentium classic speeds unless I periodically reboot.

XP's shitty system cache and memory management in action...it is horrible and has to be tweaked more for both Intel and AMD.

And about the heat: Some people don't know how to put a heatsink on properly...USER ERROR...no companie's fault.

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/ Dustin /B0b ]

Zombie9920

« Reply #17 on: 4 September 2002, 12:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by The_Muffin_Man/ Dustin /B0b:

Zombie9920, you are right, Win and intel are great together...that's why the word Wintel coined. I have to agree with VoidMain because I can't afford to blow off another $400-$700 on parts just cuz it's "intel", and then spend even more on an OS that works better with it than other low cost components. It's not worth it in a file server. The only requirement I have is that it runs. On my PC though, it would be different.

AMD is cheaper, and Linux is free...one of the reasons I converted. I am telling you this as a person with an ever-shrinking bank account, not as a "Linux Zombie/Slave to Tux(I like this one...couldn't you just imagine Britney S. singing "I'm a sllaaaavvveee to Tux..." lol!)".

-Dustin

Anymore an Intel CPU isn't much more than an AMD CPU because of the Intel/AMD price cut wars. From www.pricewatch.com

Athlon XP 2200+ = $145
2.4ghz Pentium 4 Northwood w/533mhz FSB = $200

The 2.4ghz Northwood w/533mhz FSB performs slightly better than the Athlon XP 2200+ in most cases, it has no thermal issues, and is a better quality product...for just a mere $45 more.

Intel isn't really that expensive of a route to go anymore and Intel is definatley the king of reliability/stability. It kinda makes me mad that I bought my 2.53ghz Northwood when it first came out because I paid $530 for the CPU...now it is down to $240. I need to start having patients when purchasing new hardware. ;(

Zombie9920

« Reply #18 on: 4 September 2002, 12:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by The_Muffin_Man/ Dustin /B0b:

XP's shitty system cache and memory management in action...it is horrible and has to be tweaked more for both Intel and AMD.

And about the heat: Some people don't know how to put a heatsink on properly...USER ERROR...no companie's fault.

My Athlon XP and Windows issue isn't from heat. My Athlon runs 32c idle and maxes out at 42c after hours of full load. The stupid system sounds like a jet taking off though because of all of the case fans I have in it compared to my Intel systems being so quiet I can hear a pin drop because they don't need all of the cooling.
I love my Northwood system because it is simply the fastest computer I have ever used, it is very reliable and of course I don't have any system noise interfering with my MP3's, game music/sounds, etc.

The thing is, MS OSes are designed to run the best on i*86. a*86 is slightly different from i*86. AMD tries to make thier CPU's as Intel x86 compatible as possible, but thier i*86 emulation is not perfect.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #19 on: 4 September 2002, 12:29 »
But what happened to that argument about Windows supporting all this hardware?  I don't believe it should count if it only supports it half assed.  And surely AMD Athalon would have to be one of the most critical pieces of hardware that should be supported, even if slightly behind Intel. I have *never* had a problem on my Athalon/VIA chipset with Linux. It doesn't have any such "slowdown" problem you describe with XP.  

So now why should I pay the extra $45 for the processor, then the extra $??? for XP, then the extra $??? for MS Office XP, then the extra $??? for Visual.net, then the extra $???? for SQL Server, and *still* not get the source code?
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Zombie9920

« Reply #20 on: 4 September 2002, 12:34 »
quote:

And people like me to heaps to many, my pc im on now has a electric car fan in the side. Also has a fan at the bottom to blow out, fan/heatsink on the HDD, Another fan blutacked at the upper back just below the Power Supply. Im also putting in a water cooling kit. Just for bragging rights.

Zombie's name says it all!

Why in the heck are you puttting all of that cooling shit on a Celeron system? A PIII and P4 doesn't even need all of that shit let alone a cooler running Celeron. I guess some people like loud PC's. LoL

Neither of my P4 systems even have a fan on the heatsink. The heatsink alone adequatley cools the P4's so why add a fan to make noise? Heck, you can run a P4 with no heatsink at all(it will underclock itself for thermal reasons though..so running with no heatsink is pointless).

Zombie9920

« Reply #21 on: 4 September 2002, 12:37 »
quote:

did you lick a dingo's ass, how did you get in the USA!

It originally said that "Yeah and you licked a dingos' ass." . Did somebody conveniantly remove "you" from the sentence? No matter, I just edited it back to what I originally said. ;P

Zombie9920

« Reply #22 on: 4 September 2002, 13:12 »
quote:
No if you did that there would be a [Editied by: blah blah] thing there. so you did it, admit you are a beastiac!

Nope, I know what I originally said. Somebody fucked with my post(and no I'm not saying it was you). There is only one person here who can edit a post and it not show that he edited it(everybody knows who that is)...or maybe that secretive cunt can hack posts? Fuck, I'm not even worried about it. It isn't like it's the first time my posts have been fucked with.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #23 on: 4 September 2002, 16:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Anymore an Intel CPU isn't much more than an AMD CPU because of the Intel/AMD price cut wars. From www.pricewatch.com

Athlon XP 2200+ = $145
2.4ghz Pentium 4 Northwood w/533mhz FSB = $200

The 2.4ghz Northwood w/533mhz FSB performs slightly better than the Athlon XP 2200+ in most cases, it has no thermal issues, and is a better quality product...for just a mere $45 more.

Intel isn't really that expensive of a route to go anymore and Intel is definatley the king of reliability/stability. It kinda makes me mad that I bought my 2.53ghz Northwood when it first came out because I paid $530 for the CPU...now it is down to $240. I need to start having patients when purchasing new hardware. ;(

Don't forget to factor in the cost for your RD-RAM, else it won't run like it was born to.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Zombie9920

« Reply #24 on: 4 September 2002, 19:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:

Don't forget to factor in the cost for your RD-RAM, else it won't run like it was born to.

A P4 will run ok with DDR-Ram(on a DDR chipset of course..like the i845G and i845GL). You do need Rambus to get the full potential outta the P4 though.

sirdiesalot1112

• http://www.linux-freeks.cjb.net
« Reply #25 on: 5 September 2002, 04:59 »
Well.. I filled out my profile for you all to have a look at.. and My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 650Mhz @ 722MHz
416MB ram
Soyo SY-K7VIA mobo
Geforce 3 Ti 500 (FREE!!!! so dont make fun)
30GB WDC 5400RPM HDD
33.6 USRobotics external serial modem
8x8x32 CD-R/W
48X CDROM
350W PSU
SBlive
Linksys LNE100TX network card

Current uptime with Slackware linux (2.4.5 kernel)
4 days 11 hours

(rebooted to play halflife, can't figure out how to configure wine properly)

My system's longest uptime in windows (98se) was 3 days, but i was gone for one of them  

longest uptime for linux was like 4 months or something, and it turned off cause of power outage .  :(

I can overclock my CPU to 722MHz and it's rock solid (it was OC to 722 when i had it on for 4 months)
I have seen the light, and it's  in the form of a penguin....

Zombie9920

« Reply #26 on: 5 September 2002, 05:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by K7_and_Linux...:
Geforce 3 Ti 500 (FREE!!!! so dont make fun)

Why would anyone make fun of your GeForce 3 Ti500? There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GF3 Ti500. It is able to run any game currently available that you can throw at it. Heck, that GF3 is the best piece of hardware in the sytsem you just listed. ;P

Chooco

« Reply #27 on: 5 September 2002, 21:13 »
damn it i had to restart Linux today. it didn't crash but my first login session froze, the login that i work in (login 2) worked great but i figured that having a frozen desktop can't be good so i restarted.

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
« Reply #28 on: 5 September 2002, 21:22 »
If we are going to have a longest running time competition, my longest is 3 weeks, 2 days...

... on a PowerBook      

Also, I will work on my profile, I just didn't bother to write anything when I registered... I wasn't being secretive or anything.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: MacUser3of5 ]

"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #29 on: 5 September 2002, 21:24 »
You could have just killed/restarted the desktop. I haven't had that happen to me in a long long long long time but I have always been able to restart X if I had a lockup like that without rebooting (even had to remotely log in before to kill/restart X).  And unlike Windows processes don't leave allocated memory lying around, the OS cleans up these situations after being killed.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...