Author Topic: Windows Update  (Read 896 times)

PeaB0dy

• Kudos: 0
Windows Update
« on: 1 January 2003, 00:17 »
What is up with Windows Update..

I just installed XP for a friend, and went to do the windows update, accepted microsofts terms, and now it doesn't find any updates.  It tells me no updates are available now when there are tons, and another person had the same problem, and reinstalled windows, and seemed to find away to get the updates

I did the same for another friend 2 weeks ago, and no problem, is there anything I can do to possibly fix this with out reinstalling windows!!

PeaB0dy

Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: 1 January 2003, 00:25 »
Well I found the Answer...

The date was not right on the computer, you have to have the right date otherwise it doesn't find the updates..

Stupid Windows....

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Windows Update
« Reply #2 on: 1 January 2003, 02:21 »
I've never had this problem with my linux updater. Just curious, but why did you install xp for them? couldn't they use something a bit more reliable? And why did you come here for help with windows? I'm surprised the eula doesn't force you to call microsoft if you have a problem.

HibbeeBoy

Windows Update
« Reply #3 on: 1 January 2003, 04:58 »
With friends like you, who needs enemies ?!!  :D
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Doctor V

Windows Update
« Reply #4 on: 1 January 2003, 05:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by PeaB0dy:
is there anything I can do to possibly fix this with out reinstalling windows!!

Why yes, there is.  You can dl and install a copy of Linux for free.  Most versions of Linux come with a nice auto-updater that neither forces you to accept an opressive EULA, nor limits you ability to use your computer if conditions arn't exactly as M$ wants them to be.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows Update
« Reply #5 on: 1 January 2003, 05:56 »
That would be my exact advice as well, but actually i think i found the answer to your problem right here in your original post:
quote:
Originally posted by PeaB0dy:

I just ... accepted microsofts terms,

YOU WHAT? DID YOU READ THEM? you would not have accepted them if you had read them. Did you really accept them? The fact that you accepted them means that they can be changed without your knowledge at any time and you will still be bound by the new version! (yes i know this is not legal, but you're stuck with it until it goes to court and microsoft take another decade to buy off the judge).

Here's some further reading which will help you and here's something else that i think you will find helpful in this situation.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism