Author Topic: Why people choose Microsoft.  (Read 2622 times)

ForceSphere

• Kudos: 0
Why people choose Microsoft.
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2003, 02:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by zooloo:
People don't choose MS, they buy PCs with it installed.

After that they buy MS Office etc because they think "MS, that's what I've got".

zooloo

Touch

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2003, 08:16 »
people are stupid. that's why. you show them a perfectly viable... no, a VASTLY SUPERIOR alternative, and they stick with their shit.

windoze is a turd, that's all there is to it. I lost all respect for windoze and the x86 platform when my Power Mac 7200 (120MHz PowerPC 601) whipped the holy living fuck out of a Celeron 900. The Inhell Celery Processor with Extra Bullshit Technology couldn't play a fucking video. the "broke down" 7200 didn't skip a single frame. Eat shit, Wintel drones, your platform has been officially

OWNED
Go the fuck ~

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2003, 10:41 »
It's marketing. Microsoft can afford to go up to a company and say "I'll give you $40 for every computer you include windows with". I'm sure they don't say that exactly, but the manufacturers/resellers do get profits from putting Windows on a computer. The linux community can't afford to do that, and it's not the point of linux anyways. Because linux is free, they can't get a profit from putting it on a computer (unless of course they charge extra to have linux on there, rather than no os[because microsoft tends to not allow oems to have another OS offered then theirs]) If linux were to never be free, to be worth easily $400, it would be included on many computers, because it's easier to get a profit for something that costs more. For instance, I sell a car for $27,000... i buy it for $20,000 though. there's $7,000. i get a pinto for $400, sell it for $600... that's $200. what costs more gives more profits, what gives more profits gets sold. Ignorance would be the reason why people don't use linux. They don't know it exists, and those that do tend to think "if it's so great then why isn't it coming on computers like windows is?".

well i'm done. I have to go, later.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2003, 18:04 »
The only reason Linux even stands a chance against Microsoft is because it *is* free software, in my opinion.  Think about other superior OSes like BeOS or MacOS who have yet to make a dent in Windows' sales.

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2003, 20:32 »
I think the biggest hurdle is getting the manufacturers (Dell, Compaq etc) to at least offer a Linux alternative. There's no incentive though, for manufacturer or consumer. Sure Wal-Mart anf Fry's are offering a few "thin-linux" boxes on generic boxes but the big guns need to offer their box a side by side model. What I mean is, Window$ box is $800.00, Linux box is $600.00 or less. I don't understand people buying a Window$ PC at all, particularly the home user. All the home user needs is intenet access, e-mail, play/burn CD's and type up their CV. WHy would you spend all that money on shitty M$ ? And why would you even entertain XP ?!! I had to use an XP box the other day and I hate it. Awful.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

ForceSphere

« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2003, 01:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:
I think the biggest hurdle is getting the manufacturers (Dell, Compaq etc) to at least offer a Linux alternative.

Slowly but surly i think that is changing, Like you said WalMart is now offering a Linux alternative, trashy? maybe, but a step in the right direction.  As more people buy from WalMart their will be a bigger demand for linux products, and if it takes off good, we may be looking at a race between Windows and Linux.  Although right now Linux can run circles around Windows, maybe Microsoft will be forced to get their shit together and actually put out some good OS's, and if not, Microsoft will more less be forced to support Linux software or people would hate them. Hopes? Yes, but i hope to the fullest extent that this happends.

***note*** I refuse to say anything bad about Lindows until I try it, Although the CEO is a douche bag, idea stealing, impersoniator doesnt mean his OS sucks.  At least i hope it doesnt because it representing Linux to people who buy at WalMart.

ForceSphere

« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2003, 01:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James: Mac Commando:
people are stupid. that's why. you show them a perfectly viable... no, a VASTLY SUPERIOR alternative, and they stick with their shit.

"Hate the game, not the player" just because someone is ignorant on a computer does not make them stupid, likewise, just because some1 uses windows does not make them stupid, if your just going to use your computer for chating or email (typical user) i see no need to upgrade to Linux, although it wouldn't hurt.

I think all schools should teach Linux basics, I wrote a letter to my school about it and they took me out of class for about a half an hour and talked to me about it.  They said they would think about it, that basicly means "no" but I feel I helped the cause, and it may add in a decision they may make later on down the road

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2003, 01:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Force:

Slowly but surly i think that is changing, Like you said WalMart is now offering a Linux alternative, trashy? maybe, but a step in the right direction.  As more people buy from WalMart their will be a bigger demand for linux products, and if it takes off good, we may be looking at a race between Windows and Linux.  Although right now Linux can run circles around Windows, maybe Microsoft will be forced to get their shit together and actually put out some good OS's, and if not, Microsoft will more less be forced to support Linux software or people would hate them. Hopes? Yes, but i hope to the fullest extent that this happends.

***note*** I refuse to say anything bad about Lindows until I try it, Although the CEO is a douche bag, idea stealing, impersoniator doesnt mean his OS sucks.  At least i hope it doesnt because it representing Linux to people who buy at WalMart.

And you notice how Lindows is not free? I've tried it, was able to download it for free from their site actually. I don't like it, but it's alright if you are the typical email and chat user. I'd try to stay clear of it considering they, like microsoft, try to rip you off. I doubt any desktop manufacturer will include a free operating system any time soon. I'm not saying linux shouldn't be free, i'm just saying that from a manufacturer's view point it's not worth it if it's free.

ForceSphere

« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2003, 03:18 »
damn...thats sad...If it really does blow hard that will leave a horrid taste of what Linux is in the mouths of them people.  Once again i do not want to slander Lindows because i am ignorant to their OS.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #24 on: 11 February 2003, 07:11 »
Force, it wasn't my meaning to say that all Windows users are stupid. my apologies
Go the fuck ~

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2003, 06:49 »
most kids love to play games. and most of them want to put the CD in. AutoInstall. And be on their way.
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

ForceSphere

« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2003, 06:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by raptor:
most kids love to play games. and most of them want to put the CD in. AutoInstall. And be on their way.

I can certainlly understand that, do u remember back in the day of DOS games?  Getting the game to work was half the battle.

**Although i was pretty young then, i remember Duke Nukem and Whacky Wheels is all**

ForceSphere

« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2003, 22:19 »
The (...) are here, dont mention the war    

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Food ]

Refalm: Content edit. Removed bad word.

[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: Refalm ]

verikt

« Reply #28 on: 24 March 2003, 07:00 »
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but...here goes.
 I'm pretty new to computers. I wanted to install redhat on my laptop, minly because I would rather use an os that teaches me something more about computers than how to move the fricking mouse. I actually bought the redhat software because I thought I would need their tech support to install. I went to a couple of user groups and asked if it was compatible and I looked through the redhat site before installing. After installing it with a dual boot it wouldn't work.
I wasted an hour on a long distance telephone call (I was out of the country) to redhat support before they decided to tell me that there ARE some incompatibilities with laptops and, apparently this is one of them. Something which out of sheer forgetfullness they forgot to mention on their website and which their sales rep seems not to have heard of. That's the reason I'm stuck with windoze xp.
If anyone's interested in the tech. information or has any ideas, it's a presario900 (916us)amd athlon processor. I guess you can look up the specs. If nyone has any idea about a compatible os or a solution I'd be glad to... F! M$

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #29 on: 24 March 2003, 16:42 »
verikt, the easiest thing for you to do would be to get another distribution or two of linux, example, try out mandrake linux 9.1 or try out slackware 9.0 or lycoris desktop l/x 3.0, because usually you will find that most linux versions will support most hardware. you are bound to find a nice easy version of linux to use if you try two or three.

this sounds like a lot of work but linux is free and if you search around you will likely be able to find a mail order company near you who will mail you copies of these linux distributions for little more than the cost of the CDs, or even better, you could download them yourself from http://linuxiso.org/

welcome and all that, post in the UNIX/GNU section if you have any other linux questions.  
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism