Author Topic: Why people choose Microsoft.  (Read 2621 times)

emh

• Kudos: 0
Why people choose Microsoft.
« Reply #45 on: 12 April 2003, 21:35 »
quote:

General Motors announces a great new car; every morning u go out, measure the temperature and humidity, and get out some tools and set your engine for optimal performance...

This analogy in no way, shape, or form applies to using Linux today, especially distros like Red Hat or Mandrake (and even newcomers like Lycoris, Lindows, or Xandros).  You install it once, you configure some things once, and they stay that way.  It might have been true four or five years ago, but it's not the case today.  Now, you can continue to try to optimize your system if you want, but even if you do absolutely nothing else after installing it, you will still have a completely usable and easy-to-use system.

quote:

3. Kazaa doesn't work in Linux.... i've tried Gnutella and although it works, it's not nearly as good because it doesn't filter out fake files, not as many clients and so forth.

You can get Kazaa to work in Wine if you wanted to.  I recommend Kazaa lite, though.  You would have an easier time running it via Wine.

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #46 on: 14 April 2003, 00:07 »
People worry to much about the hardware and not enough about the software.

The computer is simply a body that houses the operating system. Sort of like body and soul.

What good would your machine be if it had no OS ?

The biggest reason poeple choose windows is because they don't even think about other options. They dont even know their are other options.

Go around and ask poeple about Linux and Mac os.

Youll get responses such as " What the fuck is linux ?

and " What ? I never knew apple was still in business"
All your base are belong to us.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #47 on: 14 April 2003, 19:59 »
quote:
mushrooomprince: The biggest reason poeple choose windows is because they don't even think about other options. They dont even know their are other options.

Go around and ask poeple about Linux and Mac os.

Youll get responses such as " What the fuck is linux ?

and " What ? I never knew apple was still in business"

That means that the majority of people just don't care what software they're running. It just has to do the job. For example, the majority of people have no idea what Internet Explorer is, they just click on the blue "e" logo if they want internet, because a yellow balloon pop-up told them to. What if they clicked a red lizard instead of the blue "e"? It doesn't make any difference to them, except that it doesn't crash af often as the blue "e" thingy, and it first loads the page and then the pictures.
And, after spending an hour on Red Hat Linux, people will easily find "Internet", "E-mail", "Buddy chat", etc. when clicking on the red hat.

X123

• http://z14592.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 14 April 2003, 20:29 »
In my opinion linux is more n00b friendly than windows. And whoever said kazaa wouldn't work in linux is wrong. The only reason I don't use linux is because of my fucking NTL broadband connection not being supported by it.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #49 on: 14 April 2003, 20:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Knife Thrower: The only reason I don't use linux is because of my fucking NTL broadband connection not being supported by it.

What is NTL and why doesn't it work in Linux? I've even seen USB ADSL modems work in Linux  

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #50 on: 28 April 2003, 15:24 »
Well, I know several System Administrators...

I tell you, never ind their pick of OS, one of my schools sat there for ages pushing a button on a computer wondering why it wouldn't turn on until a student pointed out that he was pushing the reset button and it wasn't plugged in...

Now, who really cares what OS they want  ;)
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!