Author Topic: better file and/or program manager?  (Read 1694 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
better file and/or program manager?
« Reply #15 on: 2 August 2003, 04:01 »
if u only have 1 computer why do u have a router? once u get the other 3 have windows on one of them for configuring it. or install windows now, configure it how u like, then instlal linux and forget about it.

TuxLinux

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #16 on: 2 August 2003, 04:05 »
I apologize I have 3pcs the other is my moms and the other one soon to be a webserver. (I shouldn't put reserved. Was in a rush to post!) That I would like to connect and a third I want to turn into a  webserver. My Mom is going to be taking courses on the internet so it is the best way if we get dsl on the 2nd machine! That is the compaq computer that can't use linux. Mom is now on it she took hold of that pc :-D  She  refuses to use mine as it is very scary :-D

We have discussed already  to send the  router back. In return to get linksys, not sure which one yet. I will have to make sure it is linux able. I have read on linux.org that some routers may not work on linux. I assume  winrouters like winmodems. I am not sure so I can't back up that statement if it is true.  Most likely a defective router. Because I was thinking to myself a router is more of a switch than a hardware?? So, it should not care what OS it is using.

=======Lets say it is not defective ========

If I make the other pc the router one. Will it have to be (winpc)on all the time so linux could use it?  I (we) do not want  3 pcs to be on same time! Only 2 the webserver (linux so it can't be used to route either with this router) and mine. The other one should not have an always on conenction. Just a fast connection when it is on! Thanks!

ARGG more  description gone wrong!

[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: TuxLinux ]

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #17 on: 2 August 2003, 07:37 »
or just route with linux.
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Roshbo

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: 2 August 2003, 21:41 »
TuxLinux, I feel your pain :) I to have a number of computers that needed to be connected to a DSL and router, heres how I had to set mine up as the software that came with the router was for WIndows only...First I had to have at least one computer with Windows, so I set my sons up with W2K and Mandrake, with that I was able to set up the router, once that was done I was able to connect the rest of the family up, son number two pc with W2K and Mandrake then wifes Mac then my pc which runs only Mandrake all working and surfing with no problems.

Don't know if you can set yours up that easy, hopefully so, but that was how mine went. hope it helps.

Rosh

[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Roshbo ]

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #19 on: 2 August 2003, 10:06 »
why dont more routers have a web interface for configuring them?

does ur router manufacturer include documentation for it's configuration protocol? maybe you'll get lucky and someone already ported it.

[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Stryker ]

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #20 on: 2 August 2003, 11:07 »
My router, a Dlink, has a web interface, its great.

anyway about Linux and hardware.  More and more stuff is being ported to linux, or is being reverse enginered.

One by one big companies are seeing the light IBM, HP,etc.  and soon the basic hardware manufacturers will as well.

you have to remember no one is in business to make a product or to provide a service, your in business to make money nothing else, so if a hardware company sees money in Linux compatibility it'll happen if not you get the idea.

So compatability will only grow with popularity, popularity will only grow with compatability

kinda sucks but its workn' so far.

raptor

« Reply #21 on: 2 August 2003, 11:35 »
http://speedstream.com (siemens) routers rule.

raptor

« Reply #22 on: 2 August 2003, 11:39 »
in windows go

Start -> Run -> CMD -> ipconfig /all

and try and find your router gateway ip, then ping it. if the ping goes well (it should, if it is ur gateway) type that address in the URL bar and see if you get to the web interface.

Linux terminal  su - $root@--- : ifconfig

and try typing it in the URL bar for a web interface.