Author Topic: More BSODs  (Read 1049 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
More BSODs
« on: 3 July 2004, 02:07 »
Today I went to the gym where I work out a few times a week. On the treadmills there they have attached computer-television screens so that you can watch tv while working out. I turned it on to some channel, started running. Less than 5 minutes later suddenly the video freezes and a BSOD comes up.    

Not sure which OS those computers use.

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
More BSODs
« Reply #1 on: 3 July 2004, 03:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
Today I went to the gym where I work out a few times a week. On the treadmills there they have attached computer-television screens so that you can watch tv while working out. I turned it on to some channel, started running. Less than 5 minutes later suddenly the video freezes and a BSOD comes up.        

Not sure which OS those computers use.

Most likly XP media edition.  I've seen quite a few of them do what you described.

Hehe I thought M$ will bring BSOD to the entertainment world, i'd just didn't know that litteraly!

:D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
More BSODs
« Reply #2 on: 3 July 2004, 07:04 »
*points down* You don't have a pic, do you?  ;)

It's easy to tell what BSOD goes with each OS.  The only hard ones are 95/98 'cause they're the same.  NT4 is the long one with the filenames and hex codes, 2k is the really short one beginning with "STOP:" and XP has a "consumer friendly" one that says something like "An error has occured and Windows needs to shut down to prevent damage to your  computer."
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
More BSODs
« Reply #3 on: 3 July 2004, 14:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
and XP has a "consumer friendly" one that says something like "An error has occured and Windows needs to shut down to prevent damage to your  computer."

Seriously, that's what it says?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Commander

• Kudos: 52
More BSODs
« Reply #4 on: 3 July 2004, 21:16 »
yup.. or something very close to it.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
More BSODs
« Reply #5 on: 3 July 2004, 21:47 »
Just checked my archive:

quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

That's exactly what it says, followed by the error code and some "hints" (like checking your drivers out).
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
More BSODs
« Reply #6 on: 3 July 2004, 23:32 »
The reason that you won't see BSOD's on Windows XP that often, is that instead of showing a BSOD, they let your computer reboot. You can turn that option off though.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
More BSODs
« Reply #7 on: 4 July 2004, 06:09 »
Oh man that is just..... bogus.

You can't "damage your computer" by having it's buggy operating system crash!
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
More BSODs
« Reply #8 on: 6 July 2004, 06:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
Oh man that is just..... bogus.

You can't "damage your computer" by having it's buggy operating system crash!

Ever hear of a little thing called "preying on the computer illiterate"?  This is just another instance of Microsoft's predatory behavior.  It's all fine and good that they don't want your OS suffering from some half-assed user decision (most likely caused by their own advice and/or patches), but the OS is hardly the computer.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Talium

More BSODs
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2004, 05:50 »
Well I read today that Windows crashes not because it has bugs but because the user doesn't  know how to use it properly  :eek:

solarismka

More BSODs
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2004, 06:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Talium:
Well I read today that Windows crashes not because it has bugs but because the user doesn't  know how to use it properly   :eek:  

According to M$ and their fanboys its always

theenduserbadhardwaresoftware's fault.

:rolleyes:
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
More BSODs
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2004, 08:31 »
Actually the wording is just bad...

It means that Windows could be damaged by something, so to prevent that, it hits a STOP error.

Same errors that always kill NT.
Go the fuck ~

Indecisive_Distro_Chooser

More BSODs
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2004, 06:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by kn0wn / BOB:

theenduserbadhardwaresoftware's fault.

I have to say that made me rofl.  
Well, what can I say, I truly love Linux.