Author Topic: Windows is easier to install than Linux  (Read 1915 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Windows is easier to install than Linux
« Reply #45 on: 20 March 2004, 18:56 »
Come on, play nice children. Jimmy, your post wasn't vey nice nor was it helpful to anyone.

Mandrake

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #46 on: 22 March 2004, 18:09 »
Anyone who says a modern Linux distro is hard to install doesn't have a fucking clue what they are on about. I use SuSE 9, and it's so easy to install - It was just as easy as installing OS X or Windows 2000. My own mother could manage to install it.

MadShad

« Reply #47 on: 24 March 2004, 00:55 »
Ok, so maybe this thread was started when linux really WAS a pain in the arse to install. Things have moved on, and distributions of linux such as Mandrake have moved things on in the right direction!

Some people here have obviously never had to install a networked NT, Win2k or XP professional (which is basically what you're getting with Linux) in which case I'd suggest that you stay with ME or 98 and have it easy. All of the above require at least some basic configuration knowledge (far more than the initial poster I'd suggest?), so you wouldn't stand a chance at setting up any of them correctly if you didn't know what you were doing !!??. Yes, it really does make sense to RTFM for ANY system!

Even on a win system it makes sense to have several partitions if only to save data when (not if) the system crashes (ALL systems crash, linux included), but if you really feel safe with your SINGLE! 80GB partition then go ahead, you obviously are not interested in finding out what the advantages of multiple partitions would be?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 24 March 2004, 01:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by MadShad:
Ok, so maybe this thread was started when linux really WAS a pain in the arse to install.

Nope.     A few weeks back.  Jimmy James (being a Mac lover) is a little slow on Linux.  ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #49 on: 24 March 2004, 04:25 »
No, actually, I did it to see what the reaction is to the claim.

I know quite a few people who think that way, and I wondered how the Linux community felt about it.

I'm doing my part to help alleviate the problem though   :D  

Click the image in my sig!
Go the fuck ~

restin256

• http://cybersphere.netfirms.com
« Reply #50 on: 24 March 2004, 08:53 »
Playind the Devil's Advocate again?

Err.. slashdot Again.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #51 on: 24 March 2004, 21:26 »
You could say so :-D

quote:
I took a look and it sounds promising.
When do you think there will be a final version?

GenSTEP Developer Preview 1 (Black) should be out by the end of May.
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #52 on: 25 March 2004, 01:13 »
quote:
I know quite a few people who think that way, and I wondered how the Linux community felt about it.

The claim is bullshit.  That's all you need to know.  ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

enjoijeff

« Reply #53 on: 4 June 2004, 08:09 »
This guy that started this obviously did not do any research what-so-ever. You don't need to know about X11-config. Linux starts right up.

No one usually makes fun of you unless you are trying to use Slackware and are a "newbie." I mean don't you think that's just stupid? What newbie would use Linux. The reason I say that no one will laugh at you is because everyone is here just to get more people to use it. I mean every linux user I have ever met loves it and just wants others to use it. I mean come on the reason we all even think about switching is because of the numerous problems with Windows. I think that you get a certain amount of respect for finally figuring out you need to switch. Taking the next step and finding out how to do this... everyone will help. If anyone says anything about "blah blah blah you're stupid you're a newbie." You always start your post off with "I'M SICK OF WINDOWS PLEASE HELP!" If they don't help you then they are pricks...

I have had no troubles installing linux... even the first time... it was like just clicking. That's it. Windows doesn't let you have as much control... Partitioning in the install isn't that hard. Especially because most installers can do it for you... So quit your bitching no one said it was easier. Sometimes you gotta work for change. Is there something wrong about that?