Author Topic: Major IE improvements on their way  (Read 1203 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Major IE improvements on their way
« on: 17 December 2003, 01:13 »
Win XP service pack 2 will feature many improvements to Internet Exploder.

quote:
Microsoft said the browser will be updated dramatically in order to thwart malicious hacking attempts and to offer a more secure browsing experience.

quote:
First up is a major change to the way security policies are applied to deal with ActiveX Controls, the technology that is automatically downloaded and executed by the browser. ActiveX vulnerabilities are often found in IE; Microsoft said XP SP2 will apply security policies consistently at the source of the URL binding: URLMON.

quote:
Once XP Service Pack is released (expected in the second quarter next year), Microsoft said IE will be tweaked to follow stricter rules to reduce the risk of attacks via MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) Handling (define). In the modified browser, IE will require that all file-type information provided by Web servers be consistent to avoid spoofing of the MIME-handling logic.

quote:
The company has also integrated an add-on crash detection feature in IE to detect browser crashes that are related to an add-on. When the add-on is successfully identified, IE will then present the information and give the user the option of disabling add-ons in order to diagnose frequent crashes and improve the overall stability of the browser.

quote:
The IE tweaks also include a Pop-Up Manager that blocks unwanted pop-up windows from launching

Is this bad news for Mozilla?

The Anti-Microsoft

• Kudos: 0
    • http://slashdot.org
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2003, 01:19 »
What story is that from?

Xeen

• VIP

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2003, 03:45 »
This is great news for Mozilla. The more Microsplash works on IE the more bloated it will get. I
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2003, 07:34 »
no tabbed browsing? no image blocking? no site-by-site cookie manager? the ability to choose what sites can have popups? no "open last page visited" instead of a homepage? and of course a crappy download manager... A featureless browser the size of a whale. No thanks.

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2003, 21:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
no tabbed browsing? no image blocking? no site-by-site cookie manager? the ability to choose what sites can have popups? no "open last page visited" instead of a homepage? and of course a crappy download manager... A featureless browser the size of a whale. No thanks.

image blocking...WTF?? IE's had that for years.
site by site cookies...IE kinda has that actually.
custom popup sites...the popup blocker WILL have that feature
crappy download manager....IE has a download manager!??

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2003, 10:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

image blocking...WTF?? IE's had that for years.
site by site cookies...IE kinda has that actually.
custom popup sites...the popup blocker WILL have that feature
crappy download manager....IE has a download manager!??

I cannot right click an image on a site and choose "block images from this site". I cannot use a simple menu to say "block cookies from this site", it's a painfull process to do. If they're new popup blocker can do that, that's fine. IE has a download manager, but a crappy one. I can't pause my downloads. I can't have all my downloads in one window, only 20 seperate windows. Are you trying to tell me IE is a good product?

black crow

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2003, 16:55 »
[sings to the tune of "Jingle Bells"] "Microsoft, Microsoft, bloatware all the way..." - how appropriate for this time of year (sorry but I couldn't resist - I've got a .wav file of this song & it was the first thing that came to mind)  :D
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2003, 19:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
Are you trying to tell me IE is a good product?

LOL, that would be the day! No IE is and always will be behind the times and will always be a bloaty nonstandard integrated peice of shit. I was simply saying that I thought it does have some of those features you said.

By Image Blocking I thought you meant the ability to tell the browser not to load images at all. My mistake. By the way why does Mozilla have that feature you said but Firebird does not?

The site by site cookies thing can be done but it is a big pain in the ass and not as simple as it should be. You gotta do a shitload of configuring in the Security panel and design you own security level and then use the Add Sites never to trust thing to it and tell you custome security level to not accept cookies. Shit, yes, but it's there.

Now where the hell is there a download manager in IE??

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2003, 19:36 »
IE has no download manager. well, not really unless you count many multiple download progress dialogs. I like mozilla's simple  have-everything-in-one-windows way to do it.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2003, 02:09 »
They still refuse tabbed browsing?  :eek:

And yes it'll be bloated, of course...

They say better security?  Then why are there still holes in IE5?  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2003, 04:21 »
They want you to update your security holes, so they tell you IE6 is an improvement, then you find out that it's just more bloated.

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2003, 07:16 »
I don't know how I functioned without tabbed browsing, it just makes things so much easier.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2003, 18:20 »
Ive been reading articles lately and IE has been trash talked a lot lately even by the likes of PC magazine. In fact they are all promoting Firebird as the best web browser available right now.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2003, 20:38 »
Microsoft say a lot of things, like 640k outta be enough for anybody, and recently in an interview billy said the same about 4gig.