Author Topic: What the fuck is .net  (Read 2508 times)

dot.this

• Kudos: 0
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #15 on: 4 December 2002, 08:26 »
What is .NET?

Well, it's another one of those remarkable innovations from the wonderful folks at Microsoft. Having seen their success with "vaporware", they have decided to extend the concept. ("Vaporware" is where MS announces that they will release software, but never do, but it still scares away developers, allowing MS to keep its monopoly.)

Thus .NET is a vapor-concept, intended to scare potential competitors away from anything to do with networking, internet, and distributed clients.

MS has to keep the specifics to a minimum, because the more vague it is, the more threatening it is. Once competitors know the specifics of .NET, they can proceed with initiatives that they feel are not threatened by it.

Of course, MS is also vague about .NET because it doesn't exist, as I've already explained.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

dot.this

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #16 on: 4 December 2002, 22:35 »
As the site says, .NET ShellServer is "a joke, like Windows RG was".

That's not a MS site. Actually, I don't know what those people are about. I'm not going to download the software to find out.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #17 on: 4 December 2002, 22:49 »
if you have a version of DOS to run it on you should, it's very funny!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #18 on: 4 December 2002, 22:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by dot.this:
What is .NET?

Well, it's another one of those remarkable innovations from the wonderful folks at Microsoft. Having seen their success with "vaporware", they have decided to extend the concept. ("Vaporware" is where MS announces that they will release software, but never do, but it still scares away developers, allowing MS to keep its monopoly.)

Thus .NET is a vapor-concept, intended to scare potential competitors away from anything to do with networking, internet, and distributed clients.

MS has to keep the specifics to a minimum, because the more vague it is, the more threatening it is. Once competitors know the specifics of .NET, they can proceed with initiatives that they feel are not threatened by it.

Of course, MS is also vague about .NET because it doesn't exist, as I've already explained.

point taken but obviously some people are not as scared as they should be.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #19 on: 5 December 2002, 01:27 »
so, dotnet means we will live in a microsoft world? where the world is run on windows, and all music is from windows media player, and all graphics are done in microsoftPaint, and our lives are at the mercy of KingGates. whereas dotGNU means we live a free world, where we are all "connected", and can use any software we want??

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #20 on: 5 December 2002, 03:17 »
Here is a nice little article about .NET and why maybe you should think twice about getting into it:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/prasad-28oct01.html
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

DeVryGuy

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #21 on: 5 December 2002, 21:12 »
.net is sort of a developing ideal. In fact it is the opposite of the Java Approach, one language to many OS, .Net is Many Languages to one OS. Basically let's say you are programming in C# and you get to a part of the program that you don't know how to write in C#, so you write it in VB instead. .Net allows that to work. The idea is programmers can have any area of specialty and work together on the same software project, but those projects will only work on the Windows platform, thus securing Microsoft's position in the market today

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #22 on: 5 December 2002, 21:28 »
how is it a choice when you are programming in VB OR C#? last time i looked neither of those were real programming languages.

why would somebody be programming in that shit anyway? i think those people deserve to use windows!  :D

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #23 on: 6 December 2002, 03:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
how is it a choice when you are programming in VB OR C#? last time i looked neither of those were real programming languages.

why would somebody be programming in that shit anyway? i think those people deserve to use windows!   :D  

Now that's not fair. I'm making myself a MUD server with vb. I don't deserve to use windows. I wouldn't be if I weren't so far into this project. And I've always found C a bit harder when it comes to databases and socket connections. Never got it (yet, we'll keep hope).

As for what .net is, i'm still going with a TLD.

hoshi

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #24 on: 7 December 2002, 00:25 »
FINALY THE ANSWER!

.net basically turns all programming languages into a microsoft only scripting language.

c++.net
c.net
java.net
perl.net

etc etc.

i think it may have something to do with creating porthole websites where applications like MSword run in your webbrowser
i have a playstation what do i need with a windows console O_o

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #25 on: 8 December 2002, 21:42 »
if you C#
smoke that shit
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Zootopia3000

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #26 on: 12 December 2002, 17:36 »
I would compare .NET to the EEU(European Economic Union). It will take years to implement and by then, in this case, it will be too late 'cause somethin' new(from M$

Lysis

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2002, 11:26 »
.net sucks
-------Lysis-----

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
What the fuck is .net
« Reply #28 on: 30 December 2002, 03:16 »
.net is having windows messenger pop up at any time microsoft feels you havent been paying enough attention to it, then having windows tell you that it is a vital system service.

.net is partnered to palladium, which we all hate.

.net is the thing that was giving bill gates cramps, so when he got his bed buddy steve ballmer to stick his hand up there and pull it out he found a marketing idea.

microsoft can make .net seem like anything, since their definition is a set of tools.
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

shuffles4

What the fuck is .net
« Reply #29 on: 31 December 2002, 21:08 »
My take on what .net is -- just in case Microsoft hasn't put enough bad code on your Windows-running computer with the initial release, with "updates," or with their applications, it's a chance for them to put new buggy-code executables down while you're online, whether you want them or not.

But I certainly agree they're keeping their descriptions as vague as possible to foster FUD. (Something they're very, very good at!)