Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082  (Read 6276 times)

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082
« Reply #60 on: 11 August 2004, 22:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:

It never will see one. It is only a platform for developing the next Red Hat Desktop / Enterprise [A|E|W]S release.

Not so.  Fedora core 1 has been around for a year almost and Fedora Core 2 is out as well.  I believe that they are testing FC3 now.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

I took the plunge after I talked to you guys about it since I myself was also confused with Red HAts decission.  In the end I think their desission was correct.  Debian is a community driven distro and it has been great.  Like wize the community driven atmosphere of fedora has also done well in its development.

FC1 is just as stable and usable as the rest of the Red Hat familiy.  The only thing that has changed is support.  Instead of coming from Red Hat it will come from the fedora community.  Also the life cycle is different.  But that really doesn't mean much.  I run RH9 and I STILL get up to date packages and it still does its job.  I've tested FC1 on the server and I am very impressed with it.  I get the updated packages I want and I do not need to 'upgrade' to FC2 if I do not want to.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #61 on: 11 August 2004, 23:08 »
Yeah? Well, that's your opinion.
Go the fuck ~

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #62 on: 12 August 2004, 00:15 »
Everyone who agrees with the fact Solaris is stupid, and is still going through grade 6, please put this into your sig:

Dear Solaris,

STFU

Sincerely,
The Internet

[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: Canadian Lover ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #63 on: 12 August 2004, 00:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by kn0wn / BOB:

Not so.  Fedora core 1 has been around for a year almost and Fedora Core 2 is out as well.  I believe that they are testing FC3 now.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

I took the plunge after I talked to you guys about it since I myself was also confused with Red HAts decission.  In the end I think their desission was correct.  Debian is a community driven distro and it has been great.  Like wize the community driven atmosphere of fedora has also done well in its development.

FC1 is just as stable and usable as the rest of the Red Hat familiy.  The only thing that has changed is support.  Instead of coming from Red Hat it will come from the fedora community.  Also the life cycle is different.  But that really doesn't mean much.  I run RH9 and I STILL get up to date packages and it still does its job.  I've tested FC1 on the server and I am very impressed with it.  I get the updated packages I want and I do not need to 'upgrade' to FC2 if I do not want to.

The label 'final' will never be put on a Fedora release.
Fedora isn't a product per se. It is a rolling testbed for bleeding-edge stuff that will eventually make it's way into RedHat's stable and supported product lineup. A blue collar enterprise IT buyer does not consider something with a 3 per year release cycle a stable or final product to roll out on hundreds or thousands of machines.
This is who RedHat is selling to, they don't give a flying fuck about you because you have no money.

I wasn't making any slight on the usability of Fedora. I also understand perfectly what RedHat has done and why they have done it, thank you very much. I have understood from the start and I've been tracking the Fedora project from the start.

Also will you please relaise that _what_you_think_ is not the be all and end all of any matter. So stop making your opinions and extrapolations on real life sound as if they are bona fide fact. This is the reason why people misunderstand you and you cause so much trouble here.

Opinions are like arsholes, everyone has them and they all stink.
- Put this in your notepad please.

and on that note, what i've just said is to a fair extent just my take on things  
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #64 on: 12 August 2004, 00:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Lover:
Everyone who agrees with the fact Solaris is stupid, and is still going through grade 6, please put this into your sig:

Dear Solaris,

STFU

Sincerely,
The Internet

I agree with the all of the above, but don't do this as it will get this thread binned.

Canadian Lover, I could say the same about you, as  you aren't learning from your mistakes or the mistakes of others. Two threads with a similar message to this have already been binned but they were pointless in the first place, and as this thread has a purpose it shouldn't be binned.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

solarismka

« Reply #65 on: 12 August 2004, 00:56 »

[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: kn0wn / BOB ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

solarismka

« Reply #66 on: 12 August 2004, 00:58 »

[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: kn0wn / BOB ]

solarismka

« Reply #67 on: 12 August 2004, 00:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Yeah? Well, that's your opinion.

o.k.

solarismka

« Reply #68 on: 12 August 2004, 01:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tux:

The label 'final' will never be put on a Fedora release.

Hmmm, then why does Fedora have test candidates.  I.E  Fedora RC1, RC2?.....

quote:

Fedora isn't a product per se. It is a rolling testbed for bleeding-edge stuff that will eventually make it's way into RedHat's stable and supported product lineup.

I Agree that it isn't a normal product to which is sold off the shelf.  But I believe a product that is set differently by a drive of a community rather than that of warrenties and support that you would get out of a normal box setup.  So I agree you are right on that.  What I meant was tha t even though redhat may be incorperating what fedora has.  Fedora stands appart from redhat as that of a seperate product and is not nessessarily a testbed for redhat

quote:

A blue collar enterprise IT buyer does not consider something with a 3 per year release cycle a stable or final product to roll out on hundreds or thousands of machines.

I guess that depends on the I.T. Just because Fedora does release frequently doesn't mean that all of those machines will run the latest greates t version.  My webservers for exsample only run on FC1 and not FC2 and probably not even FC3.

quote:

This is who RedHat is selling to, they don't give a flying fuck about you because you have no money.

Well actually they do.  Even though Fedora is a separate product they do contribute allot of their time and energy into Fedora so they do as you say 'give a flying fuck.'

quote:

I wasn't making any slight on the usability of Fedora.

No, I know.  I thought it would have been a good exsample that many companies don't just upgrade because there is a new verson out.  Thats all.

quote:
I also understand perfectly what RedHat has done and why they have done it, thank you very much.

I never said you didn't.  I just told you where I got my information since I myself was confused when Red Hat announced it.

quote:

I have understood from the start and I've been tracking the Fedora project from the start.

Thats great.

quote:

Also will you please relaise that _what_you_think_ is not the be all and end all of any matter. So stop making your opinions and extrapolations on real life sound as if they are bona fide fact.

I do not.  Let me clear myself up.  If you stated that M$ has 'supirior' driver support over Linux , I will disagree with you.  Mainly because Linux has come along way and the amount of hardware it does support is amazing.  Not only x86 but PPC and Sparc just to name a few.  I know that some drivers do not work with linux.  But my point was that even though some drivers do not work I found that most drivers do not work with windows.  At least I find that Linux was in fact improving and wasn't saying things just for the sake of saying it.

Of course ALL OS'es are not perfect and ALL have hardware problems one way or another.  But just because I do not buy in what M$ is stating without seeing any kind of hard facts does make me some sort of evil linows user.

Also I have never used lindows in my life and really don't know much about it other than the fact that its users are very happy using it.  So they must be doing something right.

When it comes to SP2.  I have installed many patches before promissing exsactly what SP2 promises now.  Of course it could benefit.  But as I see it now and given my past experiance its the same things that I have seen before with the same problems.

Also people will have different experiances with it.  I run database and financial software as well as my hardware did not work very well with SP2.  Like one person has already stated.

'Your milage may very.'

Of course everyone here can explain technicaly why any service pack is good.  But people don't care for the technical side of things.  They just want their shit to work.

Its not to say that their experiances are not positive.  BUT to dismiss everybody that does have probles with it and does not buy into what M$ is saying as some sort of zealot is childish.  No I will NOT agree that M$ is taking steps in the right direction since I have not seen those steps been taken yet.  But who knows.  Perosnally I think that if they have not got it right with XP, with the length of time they have been in business then they will not get it at all.  Again thats just my opinion.  Take it with a grain of salt.

quote:
This is the reason why people misunderstand you and you cause so much trouble here.

I agree.  But being this is a forum its easy to missunderstand something.  I find it happens everyday with telephone conversations.  Why?  because we are not physically able to fully communicate and thus we may miss interperate what we were trying to say in the first place and come out in error.  I guess such a thing will be human given our different experiance, backgrounds, values and beliefs on any topic.

quote:

Opinions are like arsholes, everyone has them and they all stink.
- Put this in your notepad please.

LOL  I like that one.  Very true!
and on that note, what i've just said is to a fair extent just my take on things    
[/QUOTE]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #69 on: 12 August 2004, 02:14 »
quote:
I do not.

I'd say you do. If you didn't, then we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

quote:
Let me clear myself up. If you stated that M$ has 'supirior' driver support over Linux , I will disagree with you.

Funny thing is, nobody ever said it did. They simply said that it isn't as bad as what you say. We said that it hasn't fucked up for us. Some of us even said that Linux has been known to fuck up. Because we said this, you started a jihad against people for saying that "Windows had better driver support", when nobody ever said such a thing.

quote:
Mainly because Linux has come along way and the amount of hardware it does support is amazing.

No shit. But, also remember that while many pieces of hardware are supported... many are not. You word your claims in such a way that this is what we get from you:

"Linux is perfect in every way. If you say you had a problem with it, you're lying and you've been brainwashed by the 'MS FUD machine'!"

Whether or not you mean to communicate that is irrelevant. This is the way you ACTUALLY come across.

quote:
Not only x86 but PPC and Sparc just to name a few. I know that some drivers do not work with linux. But my point was that even though some drivers do not work I found that most drivers do not work with windows.

I stated the opposite, that most do. In my experience, I've never had one driver to fuck up. I've never had a Linux driver fuck up on me. I've known people who had Windows drivers fuck up. I've known people that had Linux drives fuck up. I had an OS X driver fuck up.

quote:
At least I find that Linux was in fact improving and wasn't saying things just for the sake of saying it.

Just as Windows has. I've seen a definite improvement in quality since 1994 when I started using Windows. 3.1 was god awful, then 95 came out and it was quite amazing. Win98 turned me off of 9x completely, though, and I jumped ship to NT4. Around the same time, I started fiddling with alternative OSes. OS/2 3.x, Linux, and I got my first Mac, a then fairly new Power Mac 7200 and I ran OS 8.5 (which I gladly paid $100 for).

I went from NT 4 to 2000, but didn't get XP when it came out. By that time, I was sold on OS X, and waited until the end of summer '01 and got an iMac 500 with OS X. I used that until the beginning of summer '04, at which time I got a PC so I could run XP and Red Hat.

XP was greatly enhanced from what I remembered of 2000. It was noticably faster, it was more polished, more attractive (fuck you guys, I like the way it looks), and better than 2000.

Now, with SP2, I can say that it's gotten even better, as nearly all of the glaring problems have been dealt with.

Kudos to the Windows boys at MS. They're finally doing their job.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: 12 August 2004, 02:36 »
Lier Lier!

FUD FUD and more FUD.

Windo$e hasn't improoved atorl, SP2 made it worse.

Your a M$ pupet you repette everythings M$ say your  Windows zeolot.

The XP skeme is play skule and so are you for liking it.

How dare you disagre with me!

Me Solaris roolz and everytihnfg I say is true, and all you say is Lies, FUD and M$ talk.

You bullshit!

LOL!
LOL!
LOL!

:D   :D   :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #71 on: 12 August 2004, 02:48 »
Okay, now you're starting to get on my nerves.  Really, isn't it hard enough trying to decipher Solaris' quips without you interjecting your mockery every chance you get?  This quote bears repeating here: if you don't feed the trolls, they go back in there holes; but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you deadites start chomping on this board.
*loads shotgun*  Refalm, help pick off some deadites!    :D

[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate/BOB ]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

solarismka

« Reply #72 on: 12 August 2004, 03:33 »
quote:

I'd say you do. If you didn't, then we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

You are having that conversation.  I've moved on.

quote:

Funny thing is, nobody ever said it did. They simply said that it isn't as bad as what you say. We said that it hasn't fucked up for us. Some of us even said that Linux has been known to fuck up.

Each pearson does have their own experiance.  But like you have stated.  Just because you yourself hav not seen windows fuck up does not mean that for the majority it works fine.

quote:

Because we said this, you started a jihad against people for saying that "Windows had better driver support"

Jihad means to strife.  Or to make difficult.  How the heck does 'jihad' fit into it?

You mean I started yelling at people......

compared to Linux it does not.  But thats from what I have seen.  Maby the next version will be better.  Who knows.

quote:
when nobody ever said such a thing.

Aloone.  The one that stated that Windows had better driver support than Linux as it was fact.  If that was the case.  My D-Link card would work.  

quote:

No shit. But, also remember that while many pieces of hardware are supported... many are not. You word your claims in such a way that this is what we get from you:

Ah.  So there is wher the misscommunication is.  I believe some are not.  Correct.  But at least for Linux it is improving.

quote:

"Linux is perfect in every way. If you say you had a problem with it, you're lying and you've been brainwashed by the 'MS FUD machine'!"

No.  Linux has flaws just like any other OS out there.  But when it comes to computing.  Then yes they are doing a good job.  I have yet to see M$ make a diffrence out there.  But who knows for the future.  

quote:

Whether or not you mean to communicate that is irrelevant. This is the way you ACTUALLY come across.

Well I appologize if thats the way I have come accross.  

quote:

I stated the opposite, that most do. In my experience, I've never had one driver to fuck up.

Which was great.  So I can see why you would find windows helpful.  

quote:

I've never had a Linux driver fuck up on me. I've known people who had Windows drivers fuck up. I've known people that had Linux drives fuck up. I had an OS X driver fuck up.

True.  Same here.  I've eventualy have gotten Linux to work and once they work they stay working. Unfortunatly I've never had that much of a positive experiance.  Even if I could get the driver to work in windows it seemed to revert back to its previous problem, happend with my radeon 7500.  But I'm glad things worked out for you at least.

quote:

Just as Windows has. I've seen a definite improvement in quality since 1994 when I started using Windows. 3.1 was god awful,

I agree.  Couldn't stand windows 3.1.

quote:

then 95 came out and it was quite amazing. Win98 turned me off of 9x completely,

I went from wni95, 98SE to ME (Never tried 98 and alot of people that had, said the same thing as you)and I found that they did a good job over all.  They ran the programs that they were supposed to run and I could at least get some things to work.  Which was great for me.  I agree that It was a step in the right direction after windows3.1

quote:

though, and I jumped ship to NT4. Around the same time,

I first came accross NT4 when I was hired as an admin.  It didn't handle to well on stability and I found it awful compared to 9x.

quote:

I started fiddling with alternative OSes. OS/2 3.x, Linux, and I got my first Mac, a then fairly new Power Mac 7200 and I ran OS 8.5 (which I gladly paid $100 for).

Hay, thats cool. I've never got into MACS.  but its cool that you got into them.

quote:

I went from NT 4 to 2000, but didn't get XP when it came out.

Yea, I took the same path.  We got slogged by viruses and such under NT4 and we thaught that Windows2000 would be a great upgrade.  So we went for it.  In the end we got clobbered again by the same stuff that affected NT4.

So I see that our experiances differ in  that point.'

We then upgraded our desktops to XP to which ran fine for a while.  About 4 months or so up untill these latest rash of infections. We had updated them to run into the same problems as the previous versions.  By this time we had enough over at the server department which some of them had just got 2003 to work and decided to go over to linux.  I started off with an old distro (Caldera Linux eDesktop 2.2.14 I believe) to see how it felt then moved up.  Currently its a mixture of Red Hat and SuSE.  I never got into the macs but my friends that do use them love them.

quote:

By that time, I was sold on OS X, and waited until the end of summer '01 and got an iMac 500 with OS X. I used that until the beginning of summer '04, at which time I got a PC so I could run XP and Red Hat.

Well I'm actually learning alot from you.  What made you switch to PC?

quote:
XP was greatly enhanced from what I remembered of 2000. It was noticably faster, it was more polished, more attractive (fuck you guys, I like the way it looks),

Hmmm I guess some people would like that kind of GUI.  I like the skins on KDE myself.  I've never used XP as a personal desktop.  Only in corperations.  Unlike 2000 it seemed to me to be heavy and alot of people complained on the slowness of the apps, that it took to long to login or something as simple as the start menu would take a few minutes to popup.

I did find the KDE 1 and 2 were limited but KDE3.x  has been amazing.  I don't see the need do higher that 3.1 since I can do what I want with that version but I have heard that KDE has gotten faster than its previous versions.

quote:

and better than 2000.

Well I'm glad that you find it so.

quote:

Now, with SP2, I can say that it's gotten even better, as nearly all of the glaring problems have been dealt with.

Kudos to the Windows boys at MS. They're finally doing their job.

Well I have yet to see SP2 solve the things that it has promised.  It hasn't worked for me.  But I'm glad it at least worked for somebody.  No harm in that.

Thanks Jimmy James for sharing your experiance.  One of the best posts you have made.

solarismka

« Reply #73 on: 12 August 2004, 03:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate/BOB:
Okay, now you're starting to get on my nerves.  Really, isn't it hard enough trying to decipher Solaris' quips without you interjecting your mockery every chance you get?  This quote bears repeating here: if you don't feed the trolls, they go back in there holes; but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you deadites start chomping on this board.
*loads shotgun*  Refalm, help pick off some deadites!     :D  

[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: Midnight Candidate/BOB ]

just ignore him.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: 12 August 2004, 04:11 »
quote:
Okay, now you're starting to get on my nerves.

Sorry.

quote:
 Really, isn't it hard enough trying to decipher Solaris' quips

LOL!
True.

quote:
without you interjecting your mockery every chance you get?

I sometimes just can't help myself.

quote:
 This quote bears repeating here: if you don't feed the trolls, they go back in there holes

Ok, I will stop feeding the troll!

quote:

; but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you deadites start chomping on this board.

I will exercise some self control in future.

quote:

*loads shotgun*  Refalm, help pick off some deadites!     :D  

Please don't shoot me... I've said sorry!