Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082  (Read 6210 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Build 2082
« Reply #90 on: 12 August 2004, 11:36 »
quote:
iMac Summer 2001 500MHz
Rage 128 Pro AGP4x graphics
1GB RAM

Um...what?  lol, no wonder.  I figure even an FX 5200 would be a lot faster than that thing.  You've noticed yourself that XP runs well on  slow machines with a good graphics card...I don't think that a Rage 128 quite makes the cut.  ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #91 on: 12 August 2004, 11:49 »
You're right. It's only a 128-bit 16MB card on AGP4x.

There's no reason I should expect it to have better-than-shit 2D acceleration.

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #92 on: 12 August 2004, 12:03 »
But this is OS X we're talking about - lots (too much) of stuff to be 2D-accelerated.  More than that card can take, probably.  It might run XP fine, I don't know, but XP even is lighter than OS X is.

AFAIK, the Rage 128 is about equivalent to the original GeForce...GF2-MX at the very most.  How that's a 128-bit (  :confused:  ) 16MB, AGP 4x card...god knows, they probably just stuck the old chipset on a newer board.  
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

wolfkhan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #93 on: 12 August 2004, 12:09 »
I hate M$ simply because IMO they are a sub branch of the NSA....or worse.  Why maintain an OS that is capable of multiple exploits????

Why would a company do this I wonder. Best way to maintain computer surveillance is to produce an OS that is soooo completely open to as many exploits as can be gotten away with that it would be easy to monitor what the user does.  Back in the mid to late 90's a bill (cant recall its name) was presented to the US congress togive the feds and others the authority to enter premises etc etc to confiscate a users system on the slimmest of evidence.  It was narrowly defeated, fortunately.

Sp2 is only another way to secretly plant further means to allow exploits.  Remember in win95 the *.nsa extension and many thought it was an NSA thingy. Even if it wasn't the concern was there then.

I did install the sp2 and deleted it the same day as a piece of shit.  ms dont fix bugs they are ordered to create them.
Carp

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #94 on: 12 August 2004, 12:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
There you go... in the past. This is not the past. I still run my 7200 with OS 9.1... the OS released SEVEN YEARS after the machine.

Yeah, and people are running 10.3 on 5 year old B&W G3s; Tiger will likely run on the same machine.  Nothing has changed.

quote:
I also ran an 800MHz G4 (Quicksilver) until I sold it to buy a G5 (WORST MISTAKE EVER). The G4 was plenty pokey.

The same machine I'm using now, which is far from 'pokey.'  It wasn't even pokey when I was using its stock 32mb Radeon card (it currently has a 128mb GeForce4 Ti 4600).  Its certainly managing to drive dual displays with no noticeable lag.

My basis of comparison would be any PC running XP made within the past two years.

quote:
The G5 was unusually laggy, as well. Seems very telling.

Many others would beg to differ.  You do realize you've gone from claiming Apple intentionally forces users to upgrade their hardware for new OS releases, to saying you believe Macs have an inherently slow GUI?  That's a quite different claim.  

quote:
Then, when the crappy little free apps started requiring a 500MHz G4, and then a 1GHz G4... things got absurd.

You're really getting to the point where I wonder if you're even serious.  What 'crappy little free apps' are you referring to?  I'm assuming the iApps, such as iMovie and iDVD.  In that case iMovie, iTunes, and iCal require nothing more than a G3 or better processor.  Garageband requires a 600mhz or better G3.  The most intensive of the bunch, iDVD, requires a 733mhz G4, and considering what it does I think that's reasonable.  Those real-time previews require some horsepower.

And each one of those apps (except iCal and iTunes) are pretty intensive multimedia apps, not simple calculator and notepad programs.  Which 'crappy free app' requires a 1ghz G4?  

quote:
Get people to buy a Mac. Milk 'em for all they're worth before they realize that next month's software won't run on the computer they bought last month. Repeat process.

More exaggeration and zero facts.  And BTW, you've now gone from saying Apple forces people to upgrade their hardware and buy new operating systems, to saying Apple (though, they only make a fraction of Mac software) increases their software requirements and forces people to buy new machines.  Figure out which one.  

quote:
Before the end of the year, I plan on having me another Mac. Will it be new? No. Will I run OS X? Probably. Will I run Tiger? Probably not. I bought Jaguar and Panther. I'm not about to shell out again. I'll wait for the next release.

If it runs on the hardware I get.

Well, you'll be waiting quite some time for an OS after Tiger, since Apple has declared there will be no more major upgrades after it.  Apparently it's a grand conspiracy by Steve Jobs to force you into buying more 2 year old machines second hand off eBay so you can['t] run the latest version of OS X.

[ August 12, 2004: Message edited by: bedouin ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #95 on: 12 August 2004, 23:39 »
Thank you, Mr. I'm a 50 post n00b.

Like I said, I could care less about your opinion. When you start saying that I'm "wrong" for having mine, though, it's time for you to fuck off.

Macs rule.

Apple sucks shit.

Nothing you say will change my mind, son.
Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #96 on: 12 August 2004, 23:45 »
MEGA GOOD

[ August 12, 2004: Message edited by: JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder ]

Go the fuck ~

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #97 on: 13 August 2004, 01:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:
Thank you, Mr. I'm a 50 post n00b.

Like I said, I could care less about your opinion. When you start saying that I'm "wrong" for having mine, though, it's time for you to fuck off.

It's not that you have an opinion, it's that you spread untruths.  If you would have stated, "I prefer Redhat 9" and left it at that you'd have no issue with me; instead you make up a list of fictitious complaints against Apple.  Lying, or speaking in an uninformed manner, is not the same as having an opinion.

So far you've made the following acquisitions; all of which are untrue.

• Apple forces users to purchase new machines 'every year' to run the latest version of OS X

Not true.  The latest version of OS X runs on iMacs dating back to 1998, and has gotten constantly faster with each upgrade.
  • You were not given 'full support' on your iMac and were 'ripped off'

Initially I assumed you were the owner of an early G3, and possibly felt ripped off, perhaps justifiably so given the class-action lawsuit's outcome.  However it turns out you were not part of this group, and your Mac was fully supported by Apple, and continues to be.  Many people are using your same machine comfortably with OS X.
  • Apple has  a history of supporting machines for approximately seven years, but ceased to do so with OS X

As stated already, OS X has become speedier on older hardware and runs on machines that are 6 years old; in some cases even older machines are running OS X with the help of XPostFacto.
  • The iApps collectively require at least a 500mhz G4 processor; an unnamed iApp requires a 1ghz G4.  Apple intentionally increases the requirements for the iApps so they do not run on older machines.

Blatantly false as only two of the iApps (Garageband and iDVD) require anything above a 600mhz G3; iDVD being the most demanding requires a 733mhz G4, and rightfully so.  Also keep in mind that Garageband didn't appear until iLife '04, and considering what it can do even 600mhz is a modest requirement.
  • Mac users are 'milked for all they're worth'

Yet on average we keep our machines longer than most PC users do, and make less hardware upgrades.  
  • OS X is actually fast, but suffers from a sluggish GUI

A quite different claim than your original, which in case you forgot, was that Apple refuses to support older machines.  Nonetheless it's a subjective claim that many would disagree with.
[/list]

The content of your writing is better determined by the facts contained within it, not how many posts you have made -- whether it be 2000 or 15.  Some how I will learn to deal with my 'newbie' status knowing that I don't intentionally spread mistruth and act like a general ass when proven wrong.  Thanks for trolling though.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #98 on: 13 August 2004, 02:10 »
In an attempt to put this thread back on track after so many people have tried their best to derail it...

quote:
I hate M$ simply because IMO they are a sub branch of the NSA....or worse. Why maintain an OS that is capable of multiple exploits????

So Tom Ridge is cooking up Windows, eh? Whatever you say, conspiracy man.

quote:
Why would a company do this I wonder. Best way to maintain computer surveillance is to produce an OS that is soooo completely open to as many exploits as can be gotten away with that it would be easy to monitor what the user does. Back in the mid to late 90's a bill (cant recall its name) was presented to the US congress togive the feds and others the authority to enter premises etc etc to confiscate a users system on the slimmest of evidence. It was narrowly defeated, fortunately.

Did you know that things like that come up in Congress all the time?

OH NO THE GUBMIT IS GUNNA TAKE OVER!!!!

quote:
Sp2 is only another way to secretly plant further means to allow exploits. Remember in win95 the *.nsa extension and many thought it was an NSA thingy. Even if it wasn't the concern was there then.

I never knew anybody that thought that. My friends and I always thought it was funny, though. We got a good laugh making fun of people who would think that it had something to do with THA GUBMIT.

quote:
I did install the sp2 and deleted it the same day as a piece of shit. ms dont fix bugs they are ordered to create them.

Go the fuck ~

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #99 on: 13 August 2004, 02:10 »
This thread is about SP2, not Apple. Go to the Apple section to bitch about them, or I'll have to bin this mofo.

[ August 12, 2004: Message edited by: Fett101 ]

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #100 on: 13 August 2004, 04:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
AFAIK, the Rage 128 is about equivalent to the original GeForce...GF2-MX at the very most.  How that's a 128-bit (   :confused:   ) 16MB, AGP 4x card...god knows, they probably just stuck the old chipset on a newer board.    

No way man. The Rage isn't even comparable to a TNT2 M64(the low end TNT2).  It is nowhere near a GeForce 2 MX(that is where the Radeon 7500 steps in).

Earlier in this thread people were talking about drivers fucing up in OSes. Now if you want to talk about OS driver fuck up look no further than installing a Radeon in Linux. I have not been able to get the Radeon drivers to work in any distro so far. I'm not the only one as most people do not have much success taking thier Radeon past the generic Vesa driver in Linux. It is ashame because alot of people own a Radeon.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #101 on: 13 August 2004, 05:13 »
I think we can all agree that ATI writes bad drivers.

now If there were kernel modules by these guys that would kick major ass.

but The only drivers for my old Radeon 7000 were the generic VESA ones, which were ok.... for glxgears.  But RTCW:ET looked like a slideshow on it.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Zombie9920

« Reply #102 on: 14 August 2004, 14:44 »
Well it looks like IE will no longer automatically download files(without a user knowing) therefore will not automatically download spyware from sites. If you click on that bar you can choose to install what was blocked.

Image scaled down so peole don't bitch    

[ August 14, 2004: Message edited by: Viper ]

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #103 on: 14 August 2004, 16:04 »
This does a far better job:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Zombie9920

« Reply #104 on: 14 August 2004, 16:10 »
I have firefox. I still like IE better because of better website compatibility. Speedwise they are both fast. Don't get me wrong, I think Firefox is a nice browser, it just doesn't have all of the written for IE site compatibility.

If I want tabs in IE all I have to do is use MyIE2.

(eidt)Luna? Yuck.    

[ August 14, 2004: Message edited by: Viper ]