Author Topic: How to get .asf streams to save as a proper movie file???  (Read 1135 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
hiya. i can view the first 8 minutes of Revolution OS at mms://wm.ifilm.na-central.speedera.net/wm.ifilm.na-central/portal/2421280_200.asf (any idea how i could get the whole thing on VHS by the way?)

but i can only see this at work (due to me being on dialup at home) so i would like to save it so i can play it from my local hard drive while at home. is this possible? also, i haven't tried to play it in linux yet, that's another issue, and a bitterly ironic one, will this movie clip play in any linux apps? why is this documentary about linux encoded in a proprietary microsoft format anyway?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ice-9

• Kudos: 0
    • http://users.pandora.be/Ice9
How to get .asf streams to save as a proper movie file???
« Reply #1 on: 6 March 2003, 21:34 »
One option for you to save a stream to your harddrive would be a streamripper, I know there are some available for Windows but know of none for Linux, but since you want to save it on a Windows computer at work I guess this shouldn't be a problem.

Mplayer plays .asf files without any problem if you have downloaded and saved the Windows codecs.
He was sitting on a rock. He was barefoot. His feet were frosty with ice-nine .....

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2003, 02:07 »
I does depend on the file. It might just be encoded with a .asf file type codec. Can you just right click on the file and use save target as. Then you should have no troubles playing it in Mplayer.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 9 March 2003, 03:26 »
Sit down and drink pennyroyal tea.

AKA - I'd be fucked if I know, and get it on VCD (*cough*gtkgnutella*cough*)