Author Topic: Need files from Office 4.3 disk1  (Read 1128 times)

Tireman

• Kudos: 0
Need files from Office 4.3 disk1
« on: 8 January 2005, 05:11 »
Trying to get a friend's old PC up. No $$ but have a copy of Office 4.3 on 24 floppy.
Problem is someone spilled coffee on disk 1.

I did VERY careful cleaning but lost 4 files from the disk. FAT says they are there but can't read Can anyone email these?
EXTRACT.exe
PPREADME.hlp
SETUP.INI
from cab file MSOFF1  file ACMSETUP.EXE

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #1 on: 8 January 2005, 06:30 »
Hehe, we've been back online for like a day and we already have new members asking illegal questions.  :D

I'll tell you this much: extract.exe comes with the vast majority of Windoze PCs (like the one you're on).  The rest would be illegal to distribute.

On the other hand...wtf is Office 4.3?  Sounds really old (but too old for 24 floppies.  :confused:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aaron Ni

• VIP
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 8 January 2005, 10:47 »
You may have better luck on messageboards that are more suited to MS products.  There are some alternatives such at Star Office and Open Office on the main page some are free and should work with MS Office files.
You know me.... really...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 8 January 2005, 16:11 »
if you are setting up a PC and have no money, then really you should be using operating software which is cost free. i would recommend getting an operating system like fedora, red hat, mandrake or slackware from http://linuxiso.org or find a local vendor who will mail you the CDs at cost price (there are many around, for example http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ is a fantastic one for the UK) and all of those systems include openoffice.org or koffice or something similar, which i know you will find years more advanced than microsoft office 4.2 on 24 floppies. my advice to you is to use those floppies as firelighters and move on with the rest of the world.

enjoy your new, free operating system! and welcome to the fold.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 9 January 2005, 11:33 »
If I remember correctly, ofice 4.3 was for Windows 3.1x.    Office 95 came after it.

This might be a 486 computer this guy is talking about.  StarOffice requires considerably more CPU power than the version of MS office I'm thinking of.

However, there are other, faster and lighter alternatives like abiword which is available for windows and linux.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 9 January 2005, 15:03 »
AbiWord perhaps.
Maybe with Slackware + Blackbox, which is very light, but certainly a better GUI than Windows 3.1.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2005, 15:57 »
slackware (or several others), windowmaker, abiword and gnumeric would replace ms word and excel perfectly for free, and would work on a much less able PC than the latest MS products would, although for a windows user, you'd need to put in a bit of learning (though not that much) to get it all going properly.

i suspect the original inquisitor has left us for dumber pastures though, like the windows BS for example....
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism